Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Age: Origins -- Anyone got it? (no spoilers please!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Age: Origins -- Anyone got it? (no spoilers please!)

Does anyone have or is anyone planning to get Dragon Age: Origins? My husband got it today, he is playing it right now. It looks really good. I got it installed on my laptop but since you need the DVD to play it, only one of us can play at a time. He's playing a rogue. I want to try a mage. He says it plays a lot like Baldur's Gate, which is sweet. BG was one of my favorite PC games ever. Can't wait to make my own character and get started!

I picked it up today, it's made by BIOWARE, which means for THIS RPG fan, it was a MUST-BUY!

But I'm not sure when I'll get around to installing it and playing it. I've gotten back into Fallout 3 again, so I'll probably be playing that for the next little while.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Comment

I picked it up and so far am enjoying the game immensely.

It is everything a gamer has come to expect of Bioware, great graphics, stellar voice acting and a very engaging story so far, and simple but very useful controls.

Out of curiosity for those playing which background did you choose? I'm playing as a Human Noble Rogue currently.

The game play is quite nice too. It is similar to Baldur's Gate to some degree, it should be since Bioware made it and all :P

Also for fans of FF12 the game uses a similar system to set the NPC AI except you don't have to unlock any of the statements like you do in FF12. Each character gains a set number of tactical slots based on level and it works just as well as the FF12 system. Not sure what the max number of tactic slots will end up being, but it makes for setting up a decent combat script individual to each character quite simple.

-- Very Minor Spoilers --

For Star Gate and Farscape fans Claudia Black voices one of the NPC party members that joins you. She plays a lippy mage by the name of Morrigan.

Kate Mulgrew voices the mother of Morrigan.

Haven't recognized any other voices yet, but I keep Morrigan in my party just on principle :P
      Last edited by Chanlin; 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I like the game, but really wish it had some kind of multiplayer option.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Multiplayer would be nice. It would be really fun to be able to play with my husband.

I'm playing an Elf Mage. I just hit level 6. It's pretty awesome. I told my husband it was a bad idea to get this game 'cuz now I'm hooked. XD I've found that you can play it like BG, but you can also play it like WoW. I changed my camera view so it's third person behind my main character's head and have my spell shortcuts setup like I do in WoW. Overall I think it's great.

Comment

I bought it on Steam, and I have a "multiplayer CD key."

I dunno.

I've not played much. Just about an hour or two yesterday, then played borderlands with my best friend. I'm playing a human mage. I gotta say, considering I'm not in very far, this game effin' rocks. The combat took me a couple of tries to get in to, but I'm doing well now. And I keep going "hey, you ripped that out of D&D! Lazy bastards, at least re-write it" for spell descriptions. And some of the skills and spells will take you time to figure out. But (being vague so no real spoilers) I had to answer some riddles, and felt like a freaking genius for getting them correct. That's some good design.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm downloading it right now on Steam. I hope my PC can handle it...I heard that it's better to play this on PC than on Xbox 360. We did a lot of research on the specs and maybe the desktop can handle it on some lower settings. XD The game looks SO awesome though and my friends are fanatics about it already.

Comment

I ordered the CE. It just shipped yesterday so I should be getting it here pretty quick. I'm totally stoked
                My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                  I heard that it's better to play this on PC than on Xbox 360.
                  I heard they completely redesigned the interface for the PC version vs. the console versions. I certainly hope so, because navigating that with a gamepad would be horrible. Works well with a mouse though.

Oh, and maggie, yeah, I like the camera angles too. I basically run around in the over-the-shoulder view, switch to the overhead for the start of encounters, then switch to the half-between when we close to melee. I'm weird.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Oh, and maggie, yeah, I like the camera angles too. I basically run around in the over-the-shoulder view, switch to the overhead for the start of encounters, then switch to the half-between when we close to melee. I'm weird.
                    My husband was playing it like that last night. I started out like that and after about 5 minutes, realized that it was just easiest for me to play it like I play WoW. The great thing is, they designed it so it works well either way, so there's more than one way to play the game for people with different preferences.

Comment

I love it so far. My computer is handling it very well on medium settings! Though, had a bit of problem early on and had to download some weird dll file for the video card.

My only complaint (and this shows how much PC RPGs I play) is the click to move. The only other game I've really played that compares to this is Oblivion and you pretty much had free reign there. I have never played WoW or Baulder's Gate or anything like that...so maybe my complaint is petty and that's just how all games typically are.

Great game, good storyline so far.

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                        My only complaint (and this shows how much PC RPGs I play) is the click to move.
                        You do know the game has FPS style movement. W and S forward and back, A and D to turn the camera and Q and E for left and right movement.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                          You do know the game has FPS style movement. W and S forward and back, A and D to turn the camera and Q and E for left and right movement.
                          That's how I play. I like it much better than the click-to-move option (which still isn't bad, but I played Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and other games that used that style, too.)

Comment

My only major issue so far is just after I became a gray warden, I called the "plot twist." Such a hackneyed way to get me out on my own. Ugh.

And Rine, yes WASD will let you move manually. In my own "schizophrenic" playstyle, I run around mostly with WASD, and then use click-to-move in combat.

Comment

Reaaaaally? I should have played more. Usually I read the info guide that comes with the game, but this time I downloaded it. Yaaay! I like moving about that way. I'll do that whenever I can play the game again, then. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X