This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange census stuff.. is it a scam

background info: USA has just started getting the census going. I work at a security desk at my dorm dorm room.

So one of the people who live at my dorm just came to the desk asking about a piece of paper on her door claiming a representative of the census bureau wished to conduct a random interview with them. This was on a piece of (badly) cut paper using Microsoft Word's default settings. I think this is a scam. what do you guys think?

Well, since the bureau would probably have notified the building they were doing such, and would probably use official letterhead, yeah, it's probably a scam. To seal it, call the census bureau, ask if they're doing it. They'll have records, I'm sure.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Is a dorm room ever actually anyone's legal address?

Comment

When I lived in a dorm, if I ever had received anything like that, I would have ripped it up on the spot. It would obviously be fake as anything sent to me by the government would be sent to my home unless I stated otherwise which I didn't
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
          It was mine for 3 years. And in Canada, the Census bureau tends to leave things like that on the door/in the mailbox. So that alone isn't an automatic disqualifier. Even "badly cut" isn't. A lack of letterhead and no communication with the dorm management, however IS.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Census uses home of record, in general dorms are not a home of record, it tends to be the parents home.

Call the US Census office?

http://www.census.gov/
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The bureau tends to send official letters with official letterheads like the rest of the government departments. I've not heard of them being desperate enough to break into a dorm and attach it to a door. Someone's a scammer.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                I think so.

When I went to UMaine we had the 1992 elections and they told us that we could use our dorm addresses to vote - even if we were from out of state.

Funny, I could have voted twice that year. I had my absentee ballot from NH and I could register in Maine and vote there, too.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Worked for the Census 1990. We were to leave only official notices. If the building has an address then they will do a count, but will redirect the total to the home district (at school in nowhere but counted in home town). I would call the local office and let them Know about the notice so they can be on the lookout for this scam.
                  "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Thanks for the respnces everyone - I was pretty sure it was a scam and from you opinions its sound like i was probaly right.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post

When I went to UMaine we had the 1992 elections and they told us that we could use our dorm addresses to vote - even if we were from out of state.
                      That would be illegal for U.S. federal elections, unless your dorm was listed as your primary residence. Voting twice on a federal issue is verboten in any case. Check local listings for state and local laws. Some states/locals allow part-time residents to vote.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                      X