This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's broken..

I swapped someone's laptop the other day to get their issue resolved quickly. The network card in their laptop stopped working and then it wouldn't turn on.

I got the replacement motherboard today and when I swapped them out it was clear why it happened.

Nice!

Ant to top it all off, the user mentioned that their laptop would also get very hot. Gee, I wonder why. I wonder if this has something to do with it:

Yes, that is the fan and it is COMPLETELY filled with dust.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Is... is that a crater? Uh... Wow.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

So how *do* you check or clean out the fans on a laptop yourself if opening it voids the warranty?
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
        So how *do* you check or clean out the fans on a laptop yourself if opening it voids the warranty?
        I don't void the warranty - I'm certified (in several ways). I can also open up most cell phones and not void their warranty.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          I don't void the warranty - I'm certified (in several ways).
          I think he meant more how do we, the uncertified multitudes, do so.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I've noticed that the last couple laptops I've had whose company begins with a DUDE, have not had a 'do not open case or will void warrenty' on it.

Which is good, because I've had to fix more things in there than I should've. :|

Comment

What happened with this one is that they pushed their PCMCIA modem into the slot a little too hard and broke it - little metal pieces went on a trip to where the power connector connects to the motherboard (you can see it on the top left - plus on the other side is where it plugs into a docking station).
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Let me try that another way: My laptop seems hotter than it used to be. How do I find out whether it's just dust in the fan, and even possibly clean it out, without either voiding the 14 months of warranty I have left or sending it in?
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Get a can of compressed air - make 100% sure you hold it upright, and blow it into the ventalation ports around the fan.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                  X