Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Rum's family implodes - all while I'm sleeping!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Rum's family implodes - all while I'm sleeping!

Background: BIL#1 was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago. He suffered a bonk to the head (no head injury though) and hurt his right(?) arm (he's suffered soft tissue damage and is in physcial therapy, but he's worried that he might not be able to go back to his job as a truck driver if his arm is too damaged). He totaled his car. It was a Smart Car, he hit a patch of black ice, and ran into a telephone pole (the airbag never deployed).

So I get up from my nap, wondering what we're having for dinner, and Mr. Rum is sitting on the couch, looking a little stunned, and I'm like "What?"

He said, "My family's imploded!"

I'm like, "What?"

Then he tells me this story:

He first got a call from his Mom (my MIL). BIL#1 had called MIL & FIL and said that he'd like to come down with K3 (his youngest of 2 daughters, K2 is Child Rum, for those playing at home, all granddaughters have K names). The In-Laws thought it was odd that BIL#1 was coming down to visit and bring one of his daughters down because he never just comes down just to visit. So FIL calls BIL#1 back and asks what is up. Come to find out, BIL#1 wanted to borrow $5,000 to keep him & his family afloat for the next couple of months until February, 2010. (He claimed it was mainly for mortgage payments). MIL & FIL both turned him down. They explained to him that they had no liquid cash on them as they are fixing up their other house so they can put it on the market and sell it. Because they couldn't, or wouldn't, let BIL#1 borrow $5,000 from them, BIL#1 is now threatening to keep his 2 daughters away from them for an indefinite amount of time.

As soon as Mr. Rum got off the phone with his Mom, BIL#2 (the youngest brother) called! According to BIL#2, after some thinking, BIL#1 decided he "only needed" $3,000. BIL#2 and his wife are loaning BIL#1 the $3,000. They said that if it had only been BIL#1 and his wife, they wouldn't have, but because they are worried about the 2 kids having a roof over their heads, they were willing to part with the $3,000 (BIL#1 promised to pay them back with his tax refund).

Now, I'm happy that Mr. Rum didn't go to BIL#1's house on Saturday night. BIL#1 never ever invites Mr. Rum over for anything, and yet, he kept calling to see if Mr. Rum was going to come over to his house for the UFC show he bought on Pay-Per-View! I'm sure now, BIL#1 was going to hit Mr. Rum up for the cash.

Why do all these exciting things happen when I take a nap?
    Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM.

Quoth idrinkarum View Post

Now, I'm happy that Mr. Rum didn't go to BIL#1's house on Saturday night. BIL#1 never ever invites Mr. Rum over for anything, and yet, he kept calling to see if Mr. Rum was going to come over to his house for the UFC show he bought on Pay-Per-View! I'm sure now, BIL#1 was going to hit Mr. Rum up for the cash.

Why did he get pay-per-view if he's hard up for money? I can think of other ways to entice people over that don't require paying for luxuries.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Am I reading this right?!
      This BIL is scrounging other relatives for money and he is ordering fights on pay-per-view (not a cheap proposition).
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Umm ... Yeah ... Yeah! You're both right! OMG!! I didn't even think about that!

And I spoke to Mr. Rum later this morning, and he told me that BIL#2 agrees with BIL#1 that keeping the 2 kids away from their grandparents is a good thing to "punish" MIL & FIL for not letting him borrow the money from them.

Mr. Rum is, as always, has no opinion as he doesn't like to rock the boat.

Comment

wow. pay-per-view ufc's like, $50 and up. if you're hard up for money...that's just ridiculous. is this normal behavior for him?
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken him this long to beggar money from family. He & his family would take cruises once or twice a year, gambling on the boat, drinking lots of alcohol (even with their kids). Both BIL & his wife bought Smart Cars - brand new at the same time.

They had to get a gigantic single family home. Get 2 designer little dogs. They're always buying stuff for their kids and giving their kids elaborate birthday parties.

I'm really not sorry that he has to go around asking for money. I'm just shocked that he thought his parents would give him the money just by asking (his parents never hand out money, are in fact incredibly stingy) and now he's using his kids as punishment.

Comment

how'd they afford all the awesomeness? you mentioned that he's a truck driver...they don't really make that much.
              sounds like some old neighbors of mine...ended up going bankrupt cuz they didn't know how to not spend money.
              If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
              ^_^

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                (his parents never hand out money, are in fact incredibly stingy
                Scottish? (I know, bad joke. Please don't hurt me.)
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I see a Judge Judy episode in the works...

Anyone that threatens to keep grandchildren away b/c someone cant/wont give them money, probably shouldnt be trusted with money.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    My mom says the same about her husband of Scottish descent. Except in his old age he's become a spender.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post

Actually, yes, my FIL is Scottish (part of the Campbell clan).

I never thought my BIL#1 made a lot of money as a truck driver. However, his brother-in-law (his wife's brother) used to be his partner and they'd do the overnight truck runs (which according to them, made more money that way). And his wife is a leasing agent at an apartment complex.

BIL#1 did change trucking jobs working only weekends and still making "good money".

BIL#1 and his wife really don't know how to save money. Wife doesn't cook, and they eat out practically every night. Plus, when BIL#1 does cook, his wife doesn't believe in leftovers, so whatever is not eaten, it goes into the garbage. Plus, they were able to afford the house they had because they lived with the wife's parents for almost a year without paying rent so they could save for their house.

Is it bad of me to feel like dancing?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                        Why did he get pay-per-view if he's hard up for money? I can think of other ways to entice people over that don't require paying for luxuries.
                        Sounds familiar. Ex could never pay the bills, but he could always pay his bar tab (several times a week). Now I'm about to file for a default judgment against him.

I would recommend any loans be put in writing with payment terms and due dates spelled out and notarized...(learned this the hard way). Might want to pass that along to the lender. Edit: try www.nolo.com for easy forms.
                        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-15-2009, 12:21 AM.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Ugh, Smart Cars. Those things scare me.

Comment

I agree with BookstoreEscapee in that he should get a loan agreement in writing because otherwise he could claim it was a gift. But I am not a lawyer but I also watch Judge Judy now and again.
                            Last edited by dougall; 12-15-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                              Ugh, Smart Cars. Those things scare me.
                              Those things are small, but the Tango cars are even smaller. Try cramming yourself into those babies!
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X