Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More information about greyhounds, for those who are interested....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More information about greyhounds, for those who are interested....

In the Simpsons dog thread, there has been some discussion about greyhounds. I didn't want to be a complete ass of a threadjacker, so I thought I would start a new discussion.

As I mentioned, my sister's job in the UK has her working with dogs a lot, and when a friend of mine had a question about dogs, specifically greyhounds, I asked Lil Sis for her input.

Thought it would be cool to post what she had to say, and let others with experience and information on this topic to weigh in as well.

Regarding greyhounds and adopting them, here is what Lil Sis had to say (with some very minor editing on my part, due to some things being relevant just to my friend's questions):

"So, some thoughts on greyhounds and dogs like them:* Caveat: Every dog is an individual, so all generalisations you find below about a particular breed should be understood to be generalisations and may not apply to every individual of that breed.
    Greyhounds make excellent pets. They are beautiful, graceful, full of character, generally very affectionate and gentle, and simply charming dogs to be around. They are generally tall dogs, but lightly built, so they don't weigh a ton and therefore don't have as high a food bill as other large dogs. They tend to have very thin skin which can easily get torn; this is not so much something to worry about (unless you are inordinately squeamish) as simply something to be aware of. Greyhounds are often called "the 40mph couch potato" because they can move incredibly quickly - but, give them two good walks a day and the rest of the time you're likely to find them sprawled out on the couch. Ideally, at least one of their two daily walks will include a chance for them to have a good sprint in a safe area. All sighthounds have a tendency to have a strong prey drive (although it should be noted this is not always the case; I've known greyhounds who don't chase cats or other small fuzzies), so this is something a potential owner should be aware of. If a greyhound with a high prey drive is off-lead and sees a deer, a rabbit, or anything else that triggers his chase instinct, you will be hard pressed to get him back. Therefore it is essential that greyhound owners train their dogs to have a very good recall. Greyhounds tend to avoid many of the health woes that some other purebreeds have, but with such long legs and such a love of running, it's not unheard of for them to have accidents where they can suffer broken bones or other limb damage. Also, as a deep-chested breed, greyhounds can suffer from bloat (twisting of the stomach), a life-threatening situation which, if spotted and treated straight away, they can recover from. It's easy to avoid this in any deep-chested dog by feeding two or three small meals a day rather than one large meal.

Italian greyhounds are essentially a toy breed of greyhound. They have been bred down in size and are rather delicate. If you're looking for a dog who is basically a greyhound but smaller, then might I suggest instead a Whippet or a Lurcher? (More on these below.) Whippets and Lurchers are just a bit more doggy than Italian greyhounds.

Whippets are very similar to greyhounds, but smaller. They are not as tiny as Italian greyhounds and they are more sturdy and less delicate. Everything said about greyhounds above would also apply to the whippet. In the UK, whippets have been known as "the poor man's racehorse."

I know my way around dogs pretty well, but had never heard of a lurcher until I came to the UK. I'm sure they exist in the States (though they may not be as prevalent as in the UK, where they are abundant), but it's possible they are called by a different name, perhaps even just "greyhound cross" or "crossbreed". Lurchers are any sighthound crossed with any other type of dog, but usually lurchers come from a cross of a greyhound with either a collie or a terrier. Because of this crossing, there is a huge variety of sizes, shapes and descriptions for lurchers. They can be as small as a whippet or as big as a greyhound, or anywhere in between. They can have short hair like a greyhound or wiry hair like a terrier, or occasionally longish hair like a collie. They come in tan, black, white, cream, blue, red and brindle. By and large, their temperament is very similar to that of a greyhound, though of course, as with any dog, so much depends on their upbringing. I would recommend you do a Google Image search under the term Lurcher and you'll see the wide variety of dogs that fall under this heading.

Now, if you have a job that requires you to be away from home for long hours, and don't have anyone who can walk your dog, very few dogs would be comfortable (or healthy) crossing their legs for that amount of time, so a dog-door and a very secure yard would be a must. You may be very hard-pressed to find a dog-door that your average greyhound will fit through, so in such situations you'd be better served looking for a whippet or lurcher. Even though he'd have access to the yard during the day, he would still need two walks a day. This is very important, as greyhounds, whippets and lurchers are all athletic dogs and they do need their walks, for both mental and physical stimulation. You'll also want to make sure the yard is very secure, as most sighthounds are rather intelligent beasts and some of them do seem to have springs in their feet! It should be mentioned as well, if you live in a very hot climate, that all sighthounds are thin-skinned with very low amounts of fat on them, and are therefore more likely to get easily dehydrated than some other dogs. Therefore it's important in hot climates never to leave him outside all day but also to make sure you have water when you go for walks.

Finally, I would strongly recommend having a look at www.petfinder.com as they are an excellent resource for finding dogs looking for homes near you."

Hope that helps anyone thinking about adopting a greyhound. I myself have never had a dog, and am not much of a dog guy per se, preferring cats, but if I were to get a dog, the temperment of the greyhound is one that would sit rather well with me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

The breed is one that wouldn't have the success today (as a pet) if it wasn't for the rescue organization that backs the racing organization. Their turnover is very fast (many times a dog isn't in a foster home long before they are adopted out) and this is incredible for the sher volume of dogs that they get in.

My wife's grandfather had two and he loved them more than life itself. They rarely barked (a bark or two when someone was at the door but not an eruption), they're extremely sweet (they're like big cats), they can be trained (basics - sit, stay, recall etc..), they don't have much fur (if any) so they don't shed much.

I only have one concen with your post, Jester. Your link (Petfinder) has a lot of back yard breeders and puppy mills in them (even though they look legit). If you realy want to help the breed, contact the greyhound rescue ( http://www.greyrescue.org/ ). Not only will they make sure that you get the right dog but your home is right for the dog.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I was merely posting my sister's comments to my friends almost verbatim. I cannot comment on petfinder.com, nor what they list or don't list. I am sure if Lil Sis says it's a good resource, it is. She is not a fan of puppy mills AT ALL, so she may not be aware of the situation you describe.

By the way, what is wrong with back yard breeders? From what I can understand, that sounds just like private breeders?

And thanks for the extra greyhound rescue link. Good stuff.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

What is a backyard breeder?

They generally just breed their dog for the hell of it.

They may have a sweet pet they want to try and reproduce or they think that their dogs are quality because they have papers and/or are registered with some registry. They think maybe they can make a few dollars selling pups, etc. They just put out dogs without real consideration for the future of not only the breed but the puppies produced.
        They're not the same as a puppy mill because they aren't trying to breed as many puppies as possible for profit, but they're still not looking out for the best interests of the dogs. With a backyard breeder you don't really know what you're getting.
        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-31-2010, 03:20 PM.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Many people confuse back yard breeders with hobby breeders.

We put this resource on our site to show the difference:

http://casadelmango.com/breeder.php

In a nutshell, a back yard breeder generally wants to breed puppies just to sell but won't have the volume as a puppy mill and the living conditions for the dogs may be a little better than a puppy mill.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            In a nutshell, a back yard breeder generally wants to breed puppies just to sell but won't have the volume as a puppy mill and the living conditions for the dogs may be a little better than a puppy mill.
            So, just out of curiosity, how do you feel about "accidental" breeders...like my friend's mom and sister who ended up with 8 beagle/black lab puppies? (In other words, those who don't bother to get their pets fixed even though they don't plan to breed.)

They all live in a two family house (so they share the backyard); her sister has the lab (male) and the beagle is her mother's (they live upstairs). My friend lives downstairs and has a female yellow lab. They also kept one of the pups (also female); she is my friend's neice's dog, so she lives upstairs, too. As far as I know, none of these dogs have been fixed, even after the unplanned litter. So far they have been lucky since then (the "pup" is now about 4 years old, I think).

And in case anyone is wondering what a beagle/lab looks like, I don't know about the rest of them but the one they kept looks more like her beagle mom (actually she reminds me of an overgrown dachshund). She also loses her voice after several barks and starts to sound like a seal.

Comment

Aside from the fact that the dog should have been spayed or neutered (that is in our pet contracts), accidents do happen.

When an accident does happen all you can do is to make sure the puppies find good homes (and they're spayed / neutered at the right age) and you take percautions to prevent it from happening again.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                Aside from the fact that the dog should have been spayed or neutered (that is in our pet contracts), accidents do happen.

When an accident does happen all you can do is to make sure the puppies find good homes (and they're spayed / neutered at the right age) and you take percautions to prevent it from happening again.
                All the puppies (except for the one they kept) went to their homes at about 8 weeks, I think. I hope their owners got them fixed. I don't know why my friend's family does not fix their dogs, but it bothers me that they don't.

Comment

I think it is healthier to have them fixed (especially if they're young (but old enough foe the procedure)) plus it does affect their personality. Boys are sweeter and girls aren't as much of a bitch (literally and figuratively).
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                  X