This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sick puppy

My 12 week old pup Alex had to be rushed to the vet today, she stopped eating 2 days ago and it turns out she has parvo.

She has medication and electrolytes, when she starts vomiting we have to take her back to get an injection to stop it, but if she doesn't improve she'll be put down.

So i'm very worried, we're taking it in shifts to watch her all night, I really hope she'll be ok.

Positive thoughts needed, thanks.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

So many sick animal stories tonight. I'm very sorry to hear about this! I hope Alex gets better soon!

Comment

Sending good wishes for your puppy.

I'm in the same situation with my cat. Let's hope we both get good news soon.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

The vomiting started a few hours ago, i'm syringe feeding her the medicated water, it's gonna be a long night

My poor baby
        I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

It is possible for your puppy to survive parvo. My Ziggy had it when she was too young to have started her puppy shots and today is a happy, healthy, bouncy Beagle. My neighbors' dog had it too and survived. The key is to keep pushing those fluids and electrolytes until the virus has run its course. Force-feed Alex if you have to, just don't let her get dehydrated. Good luck and I hope she pulls through.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

She is still drinking which is good and she is taking the electrolytes, it's a slow process.

I've got two other dogs, one is her sister and i've separated them, completely cleaned where Alex is sleeping with bleach.

I can hear her sister crying out there cause she wants to get to her.

Comment

Parvo is highly contagious. Test your other dogs and other dogs she came into contact with others for a while recently.

If you have them clean the dog bed, or a blanket she sleeps on (in the washer / dryer).

Good luck with it. It's not a fun disease but it can be survivable.

Here's a good article a friend of mine wrote last year. Parvo is near the bottom:

http://www.fredlanting.org/2009/06/puppyhood-diseases/
              Last edited by draggar; 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

She made it through the night, still vomiting though.

I was syringing her electrolytes into her this morning and she growled at me, which i'm taking as a good sign because last night she barely had the energy to lift her head let alone growl, she has also been following me around when i go check on her, still very shaky but moving.

So i hope she's on the mend.

Comment

Sending healing thoughts for Alex..

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

Poor baby...I hope she's OK
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It's day 3 and she's still alive, took her to the vet yesterday (Sunday) to get the anti vomiting injection, it worked well, was able to get fluids into her but she started vomiting again at around 5am.

It's horrible, she looks at me with these very sad eyes and it breaks your heart.

I've missed 2 calls from the hubby ringing to check how she's doing, he adores her.

I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

I think she's on her way out, she deterirated rapidly during the day and I think we're at the end.

I've tried calling the after hours emergency vet line but they're not answering, I'd rather have her put down than let her suffer any more, it's a fucking cruel disease.

Ok that's all

Comment

Awww
                          I'm sorry.
                          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                          X