This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, it finally happened...

I had a patient die on me this morning. Totally unexpected, and I had just been talking to then a few minutes before and they were fine.

I walk out of the room to the front desk, finishing up things for the next shift...I hear the monitor ring and my pager goes off and the patient seems to be in a funky heart rhythm. Usually this is just due to something moving, or the heart monitor has fallen off. I go to check on them anyways....The patient was purple and barely breathing. No pulse, no blood pressure.

Thankfully they were a No Code Blue so there was no painful CPR and unnecessary drugs and all that. After a few minutes of watching them struggle, they stopped.

I feel bad b/c they had asked me for water and I asked them to hold on for a few minutes as one of the aides was filling up the water pitchers at that same moment.

Thankfully the doctor called the family, so I was spared that particular element.

I know its a part of my job. I feel pretty ok emotionally...I feel terrible about the water though. I literally denied a dying persons last wish.

I just wish there was something else I could have done. /sigh
    Last edited by Amina516; 02-07-2010, 03:09 AM.

*hugs tight*
    hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
    1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
    2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
    3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

(((hugs)))
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I'm sorry. It's not your fault, you didn't purposely deny him water. You did everything you could for him. *lots of hugs*
        ......../\
        ....../__\
        ..../\...../\
        ../__\../__\

Comment

I'll tell you the same thing that I told the RN who was helping my father to his bed when he fell and broke his hip (what he subsequently died from).

It wasn't your fault. Things happen. {{hugs}}

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words.

I just wouldnt have wanted to be the spouse of that patient this morning....getting that phone call first thing in the AM, in the middle of a blizzard.

I go back to work a princess shift (4hrs) this am. I think Ill be oks.

Thanks guys. <3

Comment

I have so much respect for the people who can do jobs like you do...nurses, doctors, EMTs, firefighters... I couldn't.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                I have so much respect for the people who can do jobs like you do...nurses, doctors, EMTs, firefighters... I couldn't.
                Agreed. I only have peripheral contact with it ( we handle the coroner's, so we get a call anytime anyone dies anywhere in the province at night. ) and that's more then enough, thanks. I could never work on the front line of it.

Comment

SO i went in this morning for a little mini shift to cover a schedule hole.

I found out that the patients spouse called later that morning after I left, telling the nurse they had been calling the patients room and no one was picking up....wondering if their spouse was at some kind of test and thats why they werent answering...(the doc had called and left messages, obviously they hadnt gotten them.)

OMG!

Heartbreaking.

Comment

That's so sad.

I could not do the job you do.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

What BE said....

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

*sends hugs from the other side of the world*

You did what you could. I remember when my cousin died from a brain aneurysm. In most cases, they CAN save them. My cousin was unlucky. The nurses were really supportive and we told them that you did what you could.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Thanks all! I really feel better now. Im waiting for my manager to contact me, i guess just to tell me i did everything right?

Its just hard to watch someone go and know you can do nothing about it. /sigh.

I hope the spouse and family are ok. It was so sudden and unexpected.

Comment

Working...
                          X