Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions of places to visit in Montreal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions of places to visit in Montreal?

I'm going to be visiting a friend this weekend in Montreal - we're going to the Biodome and I'm not sure what else yet. I want to go walk around the old French area of Montreal as well, if it's warm enough. Any other suggestions?

Ugh, it's a 9 hour bus ride each way. That part I am not so happy about. At least it's overnight, though!

Edit: I suppose I should mention that while my skills with French are roughly on the level of an obnoxious toddler, my friend is fluent, so that should not be a problem anywhere.
    Last edited by Taboo; 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM.

Went there for a holiday this summer, actually. Had a great time when I was there!

Some things I recommend:
    • There are some killer restaurants in Montreal. GO TO SCHWARTZ'S DELI. Even if you're a vegetarian, you have to have a smoked meat sandwich.
    • I really enjoyed a trip to Ile Notre-Dame, but that's because it was a sunny July day and I HAD to see the Formula 1 race track. In the winter for a non-F1 fan, it's probably not worth it.
    • Go to Mont Royal, even if it's only for the view.
    • Walk around the Old Port for an afternoon
    • Go to St. Joseph's Oratory. Honestly. Everyone talks about the Notre Dame Basilica, but I preferred St. Josephs--I thought it was much more interesting.
    • Take a walk up and down Rue St. Denis, or Rue St. Laurent. There are a lot of really cool bars, shops, cafes, and clubs to see.
    • Check out their website: http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/ It'll have way more up-to-date information than I do

And don't worry about not knowing French. My knowledge of French is rivaled only by my knowledge of ancient Greek and quantum physics, and I got along just fine.
    Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 02-17-2010, 05:26 AM.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
    X