This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another adventure concerning my daughter

My daughter was at the home of a friend of hers where the mother was cutting up a Mango. My daughter swiped a piece on her way out.

When she got home her face had ballooned three sizes and her nose was huge. Luckily, it didn't close her throat any. I kept telling myself ""MUST NOT FREAK THE HELL OUT! SHE WILL BE OKAY!" I grabbed the Benadryl and gave her 2, which did the trick.

I couldn't figure out how she got such an allergy since no one on either side of the families have a food allergy.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

As far as I know, no one in my family has food allergies either, but I'm allergic to a few things. Namely, banana. Does anyone in your family have pollen allergies or hayfever? I've heard that sometimes pollen allergies are connected to allergies to certain fruits or nuts. And my dad's side of the family is notorious for having bad hayfever. Could just be a fluke, too.

Glad your daughter is okay. You should consider getting her allergy tested for other food allergies, just to be save. The process is not really pleasant but it's good to have done anyway. I had a skin test done a couple months ago; they basically took I think around 101 plastic "needles" (they actually look more like screws), dip them each in a different allergen, and then press and twist them into the skin of your back. It breaks the top layers of the skin and most of them will get a little scabby and swell up. The ones you're allergic to will itch and swell worse than the others. It doesn't take long to do, though, and it's worth it to know what you're (or in this case, your daughter) is allergic to. They may also prescribe an EpiPen in case she has a severe reaction someday. Just because an allergic is mild/moderate doesn't mean you can't get a bad reaction later on.

Comment

Mango is somehow related to cashews ... <quick google>

oooo and it reacts like poison ivy:

Toxicity

The sap which exudes from the stalk close to the base of the fruit is somewhat milky at first, also yellowish-resinous. It becomes pale-yellow and translucent when dried. It contains mangiferen, resinous acid, mangiferic acid, and the resinol, mangiferol. It, like the sap of the trunk and branches and the skin of the unripe fruit, is a potent skin irritant, and capable of blistering the skin of the normal individual. As with poison ivy, there is typically a delayed reaction. Hypersensitive persons may react with considerable swelling of the eyelids, the face, and other parts of the body. They may not be able to handle, peel, or eat mangos or any food containing mango flesh or juice. A good precaution is to use one knife to peel the mango, and a clean knife to slice the flesh to avoid contaminating the flesh with any of the resin in the peel.

Somehow I don't believe she should eat mangos ...
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Wow. I never connected different fruits and nuts like that! The pollen allergy makes sense.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

You know, I don't THINK I am allergic to mango...but I AM allergic to cashews. I can eat nuts, just not cashews. And that is because I am hypersensitive to poison ivy, poison oak, etc. I get a bad enough rash I will start going anaphylactic.

Nobody in my family is allergic to anything. I got the hypersensitivity as a kid, when I got the rash all over most of my body. That can do it. My family will get a rash just like most people when they get into Rhus (especially my Dad), but they don't require a trip to the docs for emergency steroid treatment like I do.

I never thought about the mango thing.

Comment

We all have hay fever and seasonal allergies. I am allergic to cat dander, but I am not allergic to any food stuff.

Thank you, MaggieTheCat and AccountingDrone for all the information. I will talk with her doctor.
            Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Another thing to be aware of is that as people get older, they may develop allergies to things they never had any problems with before. Until I was 30, I had NO allergies besides mild hayfever. I now have enough that I wear a MedicAlert medallion listing them (primarily antibiotics :frown: )
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Yeah, when my dad turned 47, he developed an allergy to sulfur-based medications. Before then, nada.

I'm allergic to cat dander (and I have 2 cats). However, the dander problem allergy isn't that bad, and since I my cats, I'm keeping them.

My sister's daughter is allergic to peanuts. Found that out when my sister gave her daughter a bit of her peanut butter & jelly sammich, and immediately her daughter had a reaction! Got an allergy test, and it was confirmed - peanut allergy! (There are no allergices to food stuffs that I know of on our side of the family).

Comment

I don't have any that I know of, my mom can't have any citris fruits, and Jhon is allergic to all types of seafood and is lactose intolorant.
                  Last edited by Zellie Crescent; 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM. Reason: Friend doesn't want me using his real name
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

My baby sis is allergic to peanut butter. Our mom found out one day when after eating a peanut butter sandwich (she was 4 at the time) and her face was red from it.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                    X