X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Pi Day!!

That's right, it's Pi Day, 3/14!

In honor of the day, I am inviting friends over for...a pie buffet! We'll have sweet pies, savory pies, mini pizza pies, etc. I'm even going to mark the radius of the paper plates and write the formula for finding pi on them in food coloring. And then we're going to eat pie and watch episodes of The Big Bang Theory--tomorrow I'm making a "Bazinga!" sign for the door.

The pies I made are a Shoo Fly Pie and an Apple Bacon Roquefort pie which I have never tried before, but which smelled amazing coming out of the oven. It required me to sautee apples in bacon grease, so it must be good!

Pics coming after the party!

And Happy Pi Day to all!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

For Pi Day I was going to bring pie to my gaming group but they didn't have a large selection at the bakery. So we're having cake instead.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Woohoo! A holiday for the math geeks!

And in 5 years it will be 3.14.15
      Last edited by draggar; 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Happy Pi Day!!

We will be having pumpkin pie
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Pi Day is my birthday, so Husband made me a chocolate chip and peanut butter...pie. How about that!
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

We were talking about celebrating pi day a month ago, and then we completely forgot to plan for it. I need to go shopping, so I'll probably pick up a pie at the store.

Next year, it's pie for every meal. Which means I need to learn to make chicken pot pie. And pie crust, I simply cannot manage to make a decent crust it's always too tough.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

So jealous and drooly right now!!

Have a great time!

Comment

Also wearing my Pi Shirt......its the letter Pi made out of the numbers in Pi.....how I love ThinkGeek
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

If you haven't already, check out Google's logo before the end of the day.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm making a pork pot pie for dinner. I haven't decided on a filling for a sweet pie yet.
                    Last edited by taxguykarl; 03-14-2010, 10:53 PM.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I just realized I forgot to ask for the recipe for the apple bacon pie. Please?
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        Woohoo! A holiday for the math geeks!

And in 5 years it will be 3.14.15

Welll... Technically, the big celebration will be on 3.14.16.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                          I just realized I forgot to ask for the recipe for the apple bacon pie. Please?
                          Sure, here you go!

Pastry for 12inch double crust
                          4 oz thick hickory smoked bacon, diced
                          4 to 4 ½ cups apples
                          2 tablespoons honey
                          2 tablespoons flour
                          2 tsps fresh lemon juice
                          1 tsp fresh thyme
                          ¼ tsp salt
                          ¼ tsp black pepper
                          2 oz Roquefort cheese

Roll pastry and line 12 inch pie plate. Preheat oven to 450

In big skillet on med heat, sauté bacon til crispy. Drain onto paper towel and leave 3 tbsp of grease in pan. Peel, core, slice apples ¼ inch thick. Saute on low heat until outer layer softens. Add honey, flour, lemon juice thyme, salt/pepper and stir. Add bacon.

Scrape filling into bottom crust. Crumble Roquefort on top and cover with second crust. Trim and crimp crust, chill for 10 minutes in freezer. Cut vents and drizzle with honey. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 350, bake for 30 minutes more—till crust is golden brown, visible juices are thickened. Cool pie completely before cutting.

It turned out pretty good--though there's a few things I want to tweak--and I'll definitely make it again.

The party was GREAT! Pics coming soon.
                          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

I take it that means you found your Roquefort? Victory.

That sounds tasty. But I've never had Roquefort, so I don't know how strong of a cheese it is. I don't like the super strong stuff...

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                              I take it that means you found your Roquefort? Victory.

That sounds tasty. But I've never had Roquefort, so I don't know how strong of a cheese it is. I don't like the super strong stuff...
                              It is pretty strong, but it balanced the pie nicely. I don't like the strong stuff either, and I thought the ratio of pie filling to cheese was about right.

Comment

Working...
                              X