This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got it done. (with images)

Ever since my oldest was born, over 10 years ago, I have been working on a design for a tattoo that would encompass myself and my children. Of course I had to wait until I was fully finished with giving birth, but I started the final design just after I became pregnant with Alex about 3 years ago.

I started with symbols that already existed... in the kanji of the Japanese language. I loved the fluid strokes, the artistry, the way a single symbol could encompass a whole thought.

I researched the various kanji for "mother", "child", "children", "family", "parent"... trying to find one that I could use to enfold the names of my children.

I settled on "mother", a simple kanji that held a balance that I found pleasing to the eye.

I debated translating my children's names into katakana, but found that they didn't translate well. So I began researching the different fonts, trying to find one that would "flow" with the same style as the brush strokes of the kanji.

After three years of research, sketching, planning, and searching for the right tattoo artist... I have finally finished. I have my tattoo. It is the largest tattoo that I have ever had done and took 4 hours to complete (including 15 minutes of break time).

I give you "Mother With Children"...
    Attached Files
    hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
    1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
    2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
    3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Oh, wow that's beautiful.

I'm very impressed that the kanji actually looks like it's brushed on.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
      Oh, wow that's beautiful.

I'm very impressed that the kanji actually looks like it's brushed on.
      Which is why it took so long to find an artist that I was satisfied with.

Interviews with tattoo artists can take a lot of time if you're looking for something authentic.

Comment

that is beautiful! I'm really impressed with both the meaning (obviously) and the artistry, where did you get it done?
        Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
          that is beautiful! I'm really impressed with both the meaning (obviously) and the artistry, where did you get it done?
          Darin Forrest at Flaming Dragon in Tacoma, WA. A bit of a drive for me, but well worth it to find a tattoo artist with the ability to make realistic brush strokes with tattoo needles.

He's one awesome artist. I'll be going back to him when I eventually end up with my niece and nephew to add a cherry branch with their names in the blossoms. (The branch will weave through the center of the kanji on a diagonal line with a blossom for each of my children and one for each child that ends up with me for a substitute parent.)

Comment

I've been planning for a while now on getting a vine winding from my right ankle to my left shoulder. I may need to move to WA to get it done.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

that is so cool! congrats on how awesome that turned out...you'll have to keep us posted on any additions you make to it!
              If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
              ^_^

Comment

I may need to move to WA to get it done.
                Probably a stupid question, but why would you have to move to get a tattoo?
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Wow. Go big or GO HOME!!

Love it. Very nicely done.

Comment

Working...
                  X