X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery question

Hey, quick question for ya'll.

How much do spend on groceries when ya shop and how long can you make that last? I'm trying to better budget my food....on 3/2 i spent a whopping $50 and make most of it last til this week, and on Sunday I spent $46. I'm hoping I can make this last for at least a month before having to break in to the "reserve stock" (canned food....I have a small supply just in case)

I'm pretty anal about planning all my week days meals in advance, so I'm good about knowing what I have and what I may need, ha.
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Throwing in the kitty litter and food...my grocery bill is usually somewhere in the $150 for $200 range. Expensive, but remember that amount is roughly 2.5 weeks or so. If I didn't 'raid my mother's fridge,' or have Sunday dinner with Grandma, it would be a bit more. Also helping, is that many of the dishes I prepare...come out of a box, and are usually more than 1 or 2 servings.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Generally about $20-$30 a couple of times a week (but that's for two of us, not as bad as it sounds), plus long-term staples. I'll spend on the order of $100 at the bulk food store every 4-6 months (again, not as bad as it sounds, because a lot of that ends up being snacks or spices), and maybe $20 every couple of weeks at the smaller bulk store. We spend about $40 every couple of weeks at the farmer's market for veggies. The bulk food purchases includes beans, lentils, flours and grains. Grocery doesn't include very much in the way of beans because I generally cook from dried rather than canned (slow cookers are your friend).

That works out to $95/week, and I know we don't blow the budget like that ever. The numbers I posted are the high end, and I'm probably overestimating how often we go shopping. (i.e. if I go shopping twice in the week I'll probably spend $18-$27 each time, but it's more likely to be twice in 9 days than in a week).

Comment

For two of us, including stuff for lunches, we spend an average of $75 and that lasts us a week and a half to two weeks. It varies from trip to trip, since I stock up on meat when it's on sale but then don't buy any for a little while. We eat fairly well for the money (fresh veggies, expensive weight watchers friendly ice cream stuff, etc), but I do live in Texas where the cost of living is pretty low.

Comment

Working...
        X