This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Dog Question

I'm learning, I swear! As a reminder, I have two dogs. Ziggy the beagle is almost two and we've had her since she was between 11-16 weeks. Tag is a 5 month old coonhound mix and we've had him about a month and a half.

When we got Tag from the humane society, it was noted in his behavior report that he doesn't willingly surrender resources, but he also wasn't aggressive about defending them. This has held true for food, toys, and his leash that he likes to chew on. I've had no problem getting something away from him I didn't want him to have or petting him while he eats. I can even take his food bowl away before he's done eating without issues.

He is, however, protective of his rawhide chews*. A few weeks ago I gave him one to chew while I cut his nails. Back feet were no problem. When I got to his front feet, he growled. I flipped him into a submissive position to remind him this is not acceptable behavior and tossed his butt outside (so witholding attention). I even made it a point over the past week or so to remind him that I am the despenser of the All Desirable Chow by hand feeding him part of his meal and making him work for it (sit, lay down, make eye contact, etc) before he is allowed to eat any of his food--even what he eats from my hand. Today I had the dogs inside with me while I was pureeing up some sweet potatoes. To keep them quiet and occupied, I gave them each a rawhide chew. I don't think Ziggy is totally thrilled with these particular chews. Tag gobbled his up right away and then tried to steal Ziggy's. When Ziggy made a move to get it back, Tag snapped at her. Well, not a full "snap" but it's the best way I can describe it. Tag was promptly tossed outside and removed from the situation--albiety with Ziggy's chew still in his mouth because I'm not reaching in to get it (I would with Ziggy though. I know she won't do anything).

Now, growling, snapping and resource guarding are Really. Big. Problems. I want to nip this quickly before it escalates. So, my question is: can I handle this on my own, and if so, how? I make darn sure Tag knows he's at the bottom of the totem pole and we reinforce Ziggy as the beta (second to our alpha) wherever we can (better sleeping arrangements, she walks in front, gets fed first, special treats first, etc). Am I on the right track? I really don't want to have to stop giving them chews because Ziggy enjoys them, but I will if I have to.

*Yes, I've read how bad rawhide can be. But they only get it under my supervison and so far no problems.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

KC, my little "sister (may she rest in peace), used to be that way over the BBQ rawhide chews. It turned out the food colouring was making her behave that way, so we switched her treats to another brand.

It was just the BBQ ones, though, not the regular. Which is how we figured out it was the food colouring.

The colouring also turned her creamy-coloured footsies blood red and was a royal pain to wash out, considering she HATED baths, the little brat.

What kind of rawhides are you feeding Tag?
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Yes, you're on the right track. No, I wouldn't tackle it without the supervision of an expert.

Though I would try RetailWorkHorse' suggestion first.

And the shelter would probably be MORE than happy to be your expert supervisor. They have plenty invested in Tag being well placed.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
        The colouring also turned her creamy-coloured footsies blood red and was a royal pain to wash out, considering she HATED baths, the little brat.

What kind of rawhides are you feeding Tag?
        Some brand that was on sale last time we went to PetSmart. They're supposed to have something in them to help with dental health. I don't think Ziggy likes them. She prefers the BBQ ones so she can lick all the flavoring off and leave the rest of the chew stuck to her blanket. Her toes also turned red and she also hates baths.

Yunno, come to think of it, Tag didn't act this way with the rawhide bones we got last time. Maybe it is something in these making him act weird. Hmmm....
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Very likely. It's why I still read the ingredients lists for petfood (it didn't hep that PITA-Cat was bad allergic to lamb and Mom forgot and had bought her a lamb-based cat-food. Poor kit).

Comment

I didn't know Little Fat PITA Cat was allergic to lamb. Huh.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Ooooooh, YEAH. Drove Mom nuts until I told her that her healthy fancy German kitten chow was making poor Pita-Bread the little stink-machine she was.

I don't even remember how I figured it out, but she was still a kit when I found out.

Comment

It could be something in the chews. Danny got cranky, then sick with vomiting and diarrhea after having pig ear chews. Same thing happened with the beef ears, but his face swelled a little, and then we tried rawhide and the same things happened.
                Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I called up the humane society yesterday. Twice. Still no call back. >.< I'm off tomorrow so I'll try again in the morning. Hopefully I can get someone to talk to me.

Comment

Avoid Rawhide Treats.

I would probably just avoid the rawhide treats altogether.
                    A lot of the mass produced treats these days are made are made with ingredients that can cause hyperactivity and aggression in dogs, mainly through artificial colours and preservatives. If you look at the ingredient list in pet foods and treats you would be shocked at the high levels of caffeine many of them have.

The best bet would be to move to a more natural treat like a bully stick (though avoid pigs ears - they can cause diarrhea and tend to turn into a choke-able blob after a while).
                    Another great treat are dehydrated sweet potatoes, which have the added benefit of helping to alleviate any problems with diarrhea and giving them a nicer smelling breath (doesn't smell like rotted meat).
                    The absolute best are raw bones, but a lot of people avoid this because they feel it is dirty or that they will cause the dog to choke. They are more likely to choke on dry kibble.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure you could ever get the point of Ziggy being higher in the pack than Tag simply due to instinct.
                    Tag is a male, he is also willing to prove his authority over Ziggy by taking her treats. If Ziggy is unwilling to fight him for them, than she is showing herself to be below him. Unless Ziggy decides to fight him for what is rightfully hers, Tag is able to prove his dominance.
                    You are able to prove dominance over Tag by removing his treat and by physically removing him from the room.
                    If this is a problem, you would have to give him his treats in a separate room or at a separate time from Ziggy, or by standing over Ziggy as she eats her treat. You are the dominant, so he will respect you if you are there, but he will see Ziggy as his lesser.

The shelter or dog obedience school should be able to help you to an extent, and your handing out of punishment when he misbehaves with you there will help to curb his aggression.

Comment

Quoth SansDoute View Post
                      Beyond that, I'm not really sure you could ever get the point of Ziggy being higher in the pack than Tag simply due to instinct.
                      Tag is a male, he is also willing to prove his authority over Ziggy by taking her treats. If Ziggy is unwilling to fight him for them, than she is showing herself to be below him. Unless Ziggy decides to fight him for what is rightfully hers, Tag is able to prove his dominance.
                      You are able to prove dominance over Tag by removing his treat and by physically removing him from the room.
                      If this is a problem, you would have to give him his treats in a separate room or at a separate time from Ziggy, or by standing over Ziggy as she eats her treat. You are the dominant, so he will respect you if you are there, but he will see Ziggy as his lesser
                      I'm starting to notice Ziggy's dominance in some aspects and Tag's in others. Tag is very pushy when it comes to wanting attention, but he usually follows Ziggy around and does whatever she's doing. Honestly, if Ziggy wanted the chew, she'd take it, which is why I don't think she likes this particualr brand. When we had our friends' dogs over last summer, Ziggy was always taking rawhide right out of their mouths. Tag's never actually taken anything from her, but he'll grab it as soon as she gets up. But seeing as how I've seen Ziggy mount Tag a couple times, I'm thinking she's Boss Dog.

ETA: I don't think this has gone to full-blown aggression yet. I want to fix it before it does. I've only noticed him acting this way with these particular chews. In every other aspect, Tag's a great dog. He's wicked smart. I think we'd had him two days before he mastered the "sit" command. I do think part of this issue is his age (5 months) and he's seeing how far he can push it. Another part is that he was a shelter dog and he's got some abandonment issues. He's a very sweet boy and with time and training he'll be just fine.
                      Last edited by jedimaster91; 04-16-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                        But seeing as how I've seen Ziggy mount Tag a couple times, I'm thinking she's Boss Dog.

Good for her. I'd agree with you then and say she's just not interested in that particular flavour of rawhide.
                        But Tag obviously is.

Comment

Working...
                        X