Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a shame you can't find anyone. If you get the chance, you really should try it. Even if you didn't lose the goatee, you could still get your neck and cheeks shaved.

It has been 40 years since I had that done. I was 7 at the time. And no, it was not a full shave. My Grandfather was a barber. I was getting the "full treatment." Pretty impressive to a 7 year old. He just did that to trim the sideburns.

I have one of his old straight razors. You want me to give it a shot? It may be a little rough. I don't have a strop.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      It seems my attempt at humor missed the mark. Sorry if you are offended.
      Irv, please. I don't easily offend. And your humor didn't miss the mark...I was laughing when I typed my response.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      It would likely be pricey though, but it's your birthday treat to yourself.
      Meh. It's not that huge a deal. Besides, my actual birthday treat to myself is going to be the sushi dinner at my favorite sushi place surrounded by several of my favorite people.

Quoth csquared View Post
      That is a shame you can't find anyone. If you get the chance, you really should try it. Even if you didn't lose the goatee, you could still get your neck and cheeks shaved.
      Hell, if I ever do something like that, I'm going whole hog, not just around the goatee. If you're gonna do something, do it full bore!

Quoth csquared View Post
      I have one of his old straight razors. You want me to give it a shot? It may be a little rough. I don't have a strop.
      How shall I put this politely......fuck NO!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Irv, please. I don't easily offend. And your humor didn't miss the mark...I was laughing when I typed my response.
        It's a Simpsons quote. It's from Radio Bart IIRC.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          I am not trying to be sexist here, but frankly, I am not sure I want to talk to a woman who has experienced this!

<snip>

Now today I had a thought....I should go to a barber shop and get an old-fashioned shave, with the straight razor, hot towel, the works.
          Thank you. I now have the lovely mental image of me with my feet in the stirrups and an old Italian guy with a towel thrown over one shoulder hovering there stropping a razor.

....although that does sound rather pleasant, if I could get over the "old Italian guy" and "straight razor" parts.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Good news: Via yellowpages.com, I have located more potential barber shops in the area. So all is not lost yet!

Still A Customer."

Comment

I've always wanted to go to a barbershop and try out a straight shave. I've been going to the same people for haircuts since I ever had my hair cut. Same two women have been doing it. My mom also buzzed my head all the time.

But yea, I want a straight shave. Looks awesome.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

If the barber insists that you lay down because he learned shaving in a funeral parlor... Make sure his name is Rufo, call yourself Oscar, and wait for your Star to wish upon.

Anybody for a waltz down the Glory Road?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

It was the man from Ironbark who struck the Sydney town,
                  He wandered over street and park, he wandered up and down.
                  He loitered here, he loitered there, till he was like to drop,
                  Until at last in sheer despair he sought a barber's shop.
                  "'Ere! shave my beard and whiskers off, I'll be a man of mark,
                  I'll go and do the Sydney toff up home in Ironbark."
                  (Full text of The Man from Ironbark)
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have done it. I have shaved off my full beard.

I trimmed it close-ish with scissors and then wet shaved.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      I am not trying to be sexist here, but frankly, I am not sure I want to talk to a woman who has experienced this!
                      ak-shually...i have a chick friend that insists her legs are the smoothest when her beau straight shaves them. so girls can be included

but i say do it. and...dare i say...post pictures of the before and after?
                      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                      ^_^

Comment

[QUOTE=Jester;711806]I want to do it, because it does sound amazingly cool.

But apparently I can't. [\quote\

I've done this, not my face, but my head. It can be a wonderful experience, if you go to the right place. The right place, IMO is Floyds 99 Barbershop. I don't know where in FL you are located, but here's one. It might be worth the drive.

Their barbers are trained at their own school before they're allowed to use a straight razor, and although the occasional nick happens (it happens) it's never been an issue for me since they were very small.

Personally, it's worth the $30-$35 (25 for the shave, plus tip). They do hot towels, and massages and the whole 9 yards. The last time I was in, he even did a bit of manscaping (as the wife puts it ) on my eyebrows, trimming them down a bit to make them less bushy.

If you're going to do this, I highly recommend them.

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          I have done it. I have shaved off my full beard.

I trimmed it close-ish with scissors and then wet shaved.
                          I have done it that way myself. What I have not done is what we are discussing, having a professional barber give me the Full Treatment, which includes full shave with a straight razor, hot towel, etc.

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                          ak-shually...i have a chick friend that insists her legs are the smoothest when her beau straight shaves them. so girls can be included
                          I was referring to chicks who have their FACE shaved. Them, I don't want to know about.

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                          post pictures of the before and after?
                          Absolutely!

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                          The right place, IMO is Floyds 99 Barbershop. I don't know where in FL you are located, but here's one. It might be worth the drive.
                          They are in Orlando. I am in Key West. Orlando is near the northern part of the state. Key West is the Southernmost City in the Continental U.S. It's about an 8 to 10 hour drive from here to there....each way. While I want to get this done, I don't want to get it done that badly.

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                          he even did a bit of manscaping (as the wife puts it ) on my eyebrows, trimming them down a bit to make them less bushy.
                          I have neither bushy nor thin eyebrows....my brows are fairly normal, average, and boring. And not worthy of the manscaping you detail, thank you very much.

Still A Customer."

Comment

As long as the barbershop isn't over a meatpie shop, you should be fine.

Altho....I'm in the camp that says don't shave the goatee, but then I find facial hair on men to be a major turn on. I've never liked kissing any guy that didn't at least have a 'stach.

I think some high-end day spas offer shaves as part of the packages for men.
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I have been to a barber that uses the straight razor, lather, etc. to shave the parts more modern barbers use an electric trimmer for such as the back of the neck, sideburns, etc. It feels good. Also, as long as the barber knows what he is doing and goes slow, you get a nice clean shave. I would recommend it.

Comment

Who knew that a town of only 28,000 or so permanent residents could support so many freakin' barber shops? And I'm not talking about haircutting establishments, salons, etc. I am talking about purely barber shops, places that call themselves that and fit the general bill.

So far, off the top of my head, I have identified six. One seems to be closed for business. Four have told me that they either do not do shaves or no longer do shaves. One seems promising, but I have yet to talk to them.

And there may be yet more.

Amusingly, I have not actually been in a barber shop since I was in grade school. In the Seventies.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X