This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Pounded Metal and I Liked It!

So, one of my good friends is a member at the Blacksmithing Club. I haven't been able to go, due to conflicting meetings and papers and such, but yesterday, I finally got to go.

I like blacksmithing! There was something utterly powerful about getting the metal hot in the fire, then beating it with a hammer on an anvil. I've started working on a knife for Munchkin and am making it out of a railroad spike.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

yay blacksmithing! I've attempted it once but my little spaghetti arms couldn't get enough force behind the hammer to do anything. Best of luck in your creation!
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

It's a great way to vent anger too. We had a blacksmith course when i was in 8th grade. I got to make a chisel. :-)

BTW, if you ever get to try working at a butcher shop, i can't wait to see how you title THAT thread.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
        yay blacksmithing! I've attempted it once but my little spaghetti arms couldn't get enough force behind the hammer to do anything.
        Yeah, I guess yarncrafts don't do much in the way of biceps, huh? I have strong wrists. (I crochet.)
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
          BTW, if you ever get to try working at a butcher shop, i can't wait to see how you title THAT thread.
          I don't need to try working at a butcher shop to do that
          Last edited by McGoddess09; 04-23-2010, 04:49 PM.
          "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

You want arm strength I recommend a trip and a bad fall. I have the BEST arms I've ever had from these crutches. Now I just need to do something about the one skinny leg (muscle atrophied).

The EIT at one of my co-ops was trying to get into blacksmithing. One of the shop guys saved him a bit of the spring when they were doing some work on the door.

Comment

Just because I think a knife made from a railroad spike is awesome sauce.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I second Irv.

Comment

That's one of the great things about going to university. You get to try a bunch of new things you wouldn't get to otherwise.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

My roomie is a blacksmith. If you would like her to hook you into the hobbyist smithing groups, PM me and Ill give you her email address [she doesnt mind, she is always getting people to try to bang metal =) ]
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'll try to get pics. At this point, the round part of the spike is flattened. I still have to flatten the rest of it, then sharpen it. Then I'm gonna take red ribbon and wrap it around the hilt. Munchkin will love it! It's an eighth grade promotion gift.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                        It's a great way to vent anger too.
                        Very true. There's very few jobs which take stress away, and most of the others usually result in destroying something. Smithing is one of the very rare few that lets you make something.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                        X