X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Weiners....

Anyone have one? The dog that is...not the appendage... LMAO

Im seriously considering a Miniature Dachshund (preferably red) to add to my family.

They are SOO damn cute! I found a breeder in my area-ish and with reasonable pricing. I'm thinking about asking for one from the next litter.

Any animal experts know of any issues I should be aware of? I have a 10 and a 4 yr old as well as another dog, who is very sweet and loving. I want to get her a sister.

My dad had a dachsie when he was a kid (don't remember if it was mini or not). There was a prof at my college who had two. They would hang out in his office and walk around campus with him without leashes. Never saw them stray from him. The boy was very friendly but the girl was not. (She wasn't aggressive or anything but she would growl and sometimes nip if strangers tried to pet her.) I know they are prone to back problems because of their short legs and long backs.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

There was a thread a few months back about dachshunds....here ya go.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
        There was a thread a few months back about dachshunds....here ya go.
        I forgot all about that thread...and I even posted in it, too

Comment

Some info-

Dachshunds are proud and bold. With proper attention, positive reinforcement and training, they will surprise you with a lovable and dependable temperament. They thrive with single people or families with older children. Very young children could lack the necessary patience and maturity required with Dachshunds.

Miniature dachshunds are prone to back problems, due to their relatively long spine and short rib cage. If allowed to jump down from a bed or couch, they can easily slip a disk. For this reason, it is also important to hold them properly, supporting their full frame.

Also, be sure to ration their food appropriately: Dachshunds can gain weight quickly, causing more back problems and other issues.
          Eye abnormalities, urinary tract stones, and mammary gland cancers can be problems in the breed, and the dapple coat pattern (known as merle in other breeds) is connected with eye and hearing difficulties.
          Attention must be paid to the Dachshund’s droopy ears, for they can hold the moisture that is a breeding ground for fungus, bacteria, and mites.

A healthy Miniature Dachshund can live as long as 16 years, providing years of fun and companionship.

Info sources- A little about the breed Some more about the breed and just about the health problems they have

^_^ while I am a Mutt lover myself....I love Dachshunds, one of the few little dogs I am not scared of. hehe, My aunt had one and he as one of the sweetest most lovable dogs I have ever known... I think if you are looking for a loving dog you can't do much better ((if you want a pure breed that is))
          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
          -Red

Comment

Thanks Dendawg!! Reading over that thread I realize I posted in it too! Nothing useful, just a pic of a mini wienie in a bun. LOL.

I dont mind mutt vs pure breed. My doggire now is a mutt. I have no idea what the hell she is! As long as the dog is loving, friendly and patient thats all I can ask for.

The potty training issue should be ok. My husband is like the dog whisperer, i swear! Hes very patient and loves doggies, so it should be managable.

We'll see, i guess.

Comment

My sister has one.

First off he has a major appetite. He will eat anything. You might be surprised on what they can jump on to. He has jumped onto the coffee table, but only because there was food on it. Also, he can be very stubborn. My sister leaves him at my parents while she works, and when she comes back to get him and take him home, he throws a tantrum of sorts. He will dig his nails in the carpet,and you have to pull him across the floor.

Now the one you get might not be like this. The vet said the stubborness is natural in those kind of dogs.
              "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                Thanks Dendawg!! Reading over that thread I realize I posted in it too! Nothing useful, just a pic of a mini wienie in a bun. LOL.
                Hehe, I considered posting that pic in this thread until I clicked the link.

Comment

Red_Dazes has it down perfectly. Make sure to socialize them too, lots and lots of greeting and meeting guests, and meeting strangers on the street. The biggest issue I've seen with them is either they are over weight or not properly socialized or both. They are awesome dogs, I fostered a pup for a short time and he was great (his picture is below).

Not sure if you've ever gotten a pup from a breeder so here are some tips.
                  Make sure to visit, see where the dogs are kept etc. Ask LOTS of questions, visit with the parents (the sire might not be there, that's ok just make sure to get info about him) and any litters that might be there. Talk to local vets, ask for references. If the breeder doesn't like you visiting, or there are restrictions, or won't show you records, walk away. Just because a dog has a pedigree attached to it doesn't mean it's a healthy or properly bred dog. A good breeder will not shut up about the breed and will have TONS of info for you and ways to care for your pup. Also give the AKC a ring too and see what they say about what to look for in a breeder.
                  Best of luck.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 05-04-2010, 02:08 AM.
                  I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

My fiance had some regular sized ones growing up and they were diggers. There was a fence in the backyard that went about 6 inches into the ground and the dogs were forever digging their way out.

I still want one! They're so adorable.

Comment

I have one. She was a rescue. She came to me in horrible shape...overweight, covered in open sores, and absolutely terrified of people (esp men). To see her today you would never recognize her. She's outgoing, happy, lean and playful.

We love her to death. The only issues we're still working on are her ongoing allergies and getting her to stop barking once she starts.
                      My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Working...
                      X