Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People Disappearing in the Keys Triangle....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Disappearing in the Keys Triangle....

Or so it seems to me.

Just about every potential roommate who calls me and sets up a time to come see the place disappears from the face of the earth, never to be heard from again.

1. Flakey sounding kid, talked to him a few times but didn't have the greatest impression of him. Was supposed to come see the place one Friday. Last I talked to him was the day before. When I called him that Friday, got his voice mail, left a message....and never heard from him again.

2. Solid-sounding dude I had much communication with, who seemed pretty much a lock to be the next roommate. Last talked to him last Wednesday night. That night he was supposed to come look at the place, but when I called him, it turned out he was stuck in Orlando due to a mechanical issue with his plane (he's a pilot with a commercial airline), and we rescheduled for the following day. Never heard from him again, despite several phone calls to him and a few voice mails. At one point he DID call me, but I missed the call, he left no message, and I never heard from him after that, despite calling him back immediately.

3. Dude called me yesterday about the room. I called him back, told him I couldn't talk right then as I was at work, and asked if I could call him around 7pm. He said no problem. I called him at 7ish, got no answer, left a voice mail....and haven't heard back from him.

Add to these "disappearances" the stoner girl with a dog that called. I told her that the complex charged a shitload for pets and that my roommate and I didn't want any pets here. She asked for the complex's number, because she "really" wanted to live in my complex, even if it was a different apartment. She called back the next day to say the fees/deposit weren't as bad as I had thought, and could she come look at the place? To which I had to remind her that my roommate and I do not want to live with a dog. Time to lay off the bong and pay attention, honey.

There has been some small good news. The roommate that is moving out was talking to me the other day, and it seems her work, which is transferring her, has not given her a solid date for when they are transferring her. Obviously if I find someone to fill the room she will move out as scheduled, and can stay with a coworker until the transfer date is finalized, but if I don't find anyone, she may stay another month. Good to know.

One other semi-good, semi-bad thing. This one lovely woman who has become a semi-regular at The Bar has been looking for a place to live. Due to her being not only very attractive, but very intelligent and personable as well, I am developing a bit of a thing for her. So I was kind of hoping that someone else would take the room so I could possibly pursue something with her romantically. (The potential for shit-to-fan when becoming entangled with a roommate is very, very high.) The room was a great excuse for me to exchange numbers with her, and worst case scenario, she would actually move in. Well, she was supposed to come by today to look at it, but when I talked to her, it seemed she had found another place. (Our schedule this week has just not meshed so she could come over.) That being said, she still said she wants to come check out my living room "library" (no entertainment center, just six bookcases of almost 500 books), and perhaps go to a friend's barbecue with me tomorrow. Who knows? Something may develop.

But ignoring the potential romance, I am still faced at not having shown the room to one single person. Lots of emails, most of them stupid crap or scams. Of the real inquiries, some people have pets, others aren't going to be here until July or August. (But can I hold the room for them? Um, no.)

And the other viable roommate candidates continue to simply vanish, never to be heard from again.

This sucks.

I repeat my earlier offer....if anyone here would like to move to the Keys, has good references, can pay the rent, utilities and deposits, and can prove some sort of viable income for paying the above (job transfer, money saved up, inheritance, trust fund, lottery payout, bank robbery loot), I have a room for rent. A room which seems to make people mysteriously vanish.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post
    others aren't going to be here until July or August. (But can I hold the room for them? Um, no.)
    no no no the answer is "sure, with a non-refundable deposit equal to the rent from now until july-august, if the person is serious they will pay it-I have paid 2 month's rent for a place I was not moving into for two months, just to hold my space-I don't expect someone to hold space for free....

Quoth Jester View Post
    I have a room for rent. A room which seems to make people mysteriously vanish.
    maybe your magic skills are better than you thought?
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      no no no the answer is "sure, with a non-refundable deposit equal to the rent from now until july-august, if the person is serious they will pay it-I have paid 2 month's rent for a place I was not moving into for two months, just to hold my space-I don't expect someone to hold space for free....
      Actually, no, the answer is simply "no." I refuse to rent to someone I have never met. So, if they are not going to even BE here until, say, July or August, even if they paid rent for those two months they wouldn't be here for--and most people wouldn't do that--that means I have no opportunity to meet them before they move in.

To which I say quite simply, HELL no!

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      maybe your magic skills are better than you thought?
      They must be. Normally I only make small things like cards disappear or reappear, and then only when I want to. This would be the first time I made anything large disappear, as well as the first time I ever made something disappear unintentionally.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Once you figure out how you made the people disappear you should write that down. Never know when you might need it.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Fuck that. The trick I really want to write down and learn is the one where I make a reliable and decent person who wants the room appear.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I repeat my earlier offer....if anyone here would like to move to the Keys, has good references, can pay the rent, utilities and deposits, and can prove some sort of viable income for paying the above (job transfer, money saved up, inheritance, trust fund, lottery payout, bank robbery loot), I have a room for rent. A room which seems to make people mysteriously vanish.
            Hmmmm... well, except for not really wanting to move, being in school here, no income available in Florida (though I do have a couple of months-old lottery tickets I haven't checked the numbers on yet,) two cats, and no desire to vanish, I'm your guy
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
            X