This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking advice...

So I've been trying new reciepes on my gaming group, and have found a winner.

its tasty, moist, but sadly its missing something.

basically its porkchops slowcooked (read 6-8 hours cooking time) with peaches that have cinnamon and brown sugar mixed in with them.

My one friend said it needed something acidic to it....but I'm drawing a blank. Its meant to be a simple dish, so nothing to fancy.

Any suggestions?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Apple cider vinegar or a balsamic vinegar. I'd go with the balsamic myself as I've seen alot of chefs use it with fruit and it goes great with most meats. Maybe up to 1/4 cup?
    Make a list of important things to do today.
    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Canned tomatoes. That'd go great with the peaches, give you the acid, and enough saucy goodness to go over some rice.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Cider vinegar springs to mind also - not much at all, start with a few tablespoons but dont go over half a cup.

I would not use wine, tannins can go wonky if you are not careful.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
          balsamic vinegar.
          This.

Or Lemon juice.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with the balsamic but start off with maybe 1/8 cup as it can really pack a punch depending on the quality and age.

Comment

Recipe, please. Rough estimates are fine, I'm good enough to work with that.

Lime juice might also be good.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                Or Lemon juice.
                I was going to suggest this - just a little to give a small bite / compliment the cherries, not overbear with lemon.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Besides the great suggestions above, you might also consider adding some orange juice or OJ concentrate. Might need to be careful, while the OJ will provide some acidity, it'll also tend to add more sweetness and it might get cloying. Lemon or lime juice might actually work better. I used to make pork chops cooked in lemon juice with a glaze of honey added right at the end, those were pretty tasty.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

From the sounds of the recipe, I would say lemon juice, with cider vinegar as a second choice.

Also, make sure it has some salt in it. Recipes like that can feel overly sweet, or like they're "missing something" as you said if you don't have any salt in there.

Let us know how it turns out!
                    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I was telling my BF about this recipe, and he suggested lime juice and fresh ginger.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Ginger or lemon juice would be my recommendations, of those that have been mentioned so far.

How about one of the tangier apples?
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                        X