Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I suspect I will be unpopular tomorrow at the dentist.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suspect I will be unpopular tomorrow at the dentist.

They sent me about forty pounds of paperwork to fill out for myself and my daughter for tomorrow's appointment with a new dentist office.

I filled it all out nice like until I got to the last three questions, the first of which was, and I quote: "Do you want the very best dentistry we can offer for your child, or do you want to just get by?"

I just stared at it like maybe I wasn't seeing it right, then wrote "Seriously?" on the little blank line.

Then I jogged the stack of papers together, put them down, and called it a frickin' day on the project. Then I got up and fixed myself yet another mohito.

Stone cold sober now, looking at it, I stand by my answer.

The fuck kinda question is that supposed to be? "Tell you what, doc, let's just go with the half assed treatment instead of the best you can do for us. I mean, her teeth will probably fall out on their own in another year or so anyways, so fuck it. "

I mean, really,

You ask me a question that dumb, I'm afraid I'm gonna get offended and call it game over at that point. I'm sorry, I am seriously, seriously not into that level of stupid game playing. Is the guy saying I have a choice? Can I really choose to opt for the "Half Ass Treatment Plan"?

So help me God, I will ask them that tomorrow if they press the issue.

I wonder if they're using that question as an excuse to justify their rates if they're expensive. Thankfully my dentistry appointments are partially covered by my insurance. The biggest gap I've had so far is $300.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

No, the question is are you seriously going to go there after a question like that?!???

Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I thought about that. However, this late in the game, if I forfeited the appointment, it would probably cost me a hundred bucks because it's fifty bucks to blow it off without notice and there are two appointments scheduled (one for me and one for the kid).

The husband went there when he lost a crown and liked them. So I guess I will show up and see how it goes.

However, if they persist in what I am perceiving as dumb and insulting game playing, I assure you it will be the first and last time they see me there. Although I think I probaby will ask them if substandard treament really is an option and see what they say.

Comment

There have been times when I've opted for the 'wait and see' dental care. Largely in my case because my teeth, given the chance and good access to flouride, will tend to fix themselves.

I've also used 'good enough for now' repairs on furniture or vehicles, but that's not anything/anyone living.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Well, got back a couple hours ago, and I have to say they were very nice people, and seemed competent. They were very good with my daughter, and didn't even flinch when I vetoed the fluoride.

Seems like a good outfit. So, I guess so far, thumbs up.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              ..."Do you want the very best dentistry we can offer for your child, or do you want to just get by?"
              Kid, have you rehabilitated yourself?

(you can get anything you want at Alice's...)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Alice's restaurant ftw!
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I kind of wonder if it isn't to "weed out" people they really don't want as return patients?

I've had a couple dentists "fire me" as a customer....well gee I have an abscessed tooth(tooth broken off below the gumline-all that remained was root), you gave me vicodin-which I told you three times I am allergic to, decided to try and forego painkillers, you scheduled my extraction for a month after my course of antibiotics would be done-i called to ask for 10 tylenol 2's or 3's so I could sleep(remember doc I didn't take the vicodin rx), or if you weren't comfortable with that, some NON-NARCOTIC darvocet. You told me I was being too difficult and I needed to go to an oral surgeon for the extraction all of a sudden-the next day a different dentist performed the extraction-explaining the infection was in the tooth-remove the tooth, remove the infection and the pain-he was right-he is my current dentist.

The other was an oral surgeon that wanted me to pay in full for the appointment(over $2000), before they would even schedule me, even though they knew my insurance would cover everything-had the consent from the insurance carrier to schedule and that it was fully covered. "No we don't do business like that-you pay first, then when your insurance pays us we refund you." Yeah and with the insurance I had, if I made one payment on ANYTHING they wouldn't pay a dime.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It occured to me that it was to give them ammunition with which to later browbeat me into crap I don't want or need, but judging from the laid back atmosphere in the place, I will hold off on that pronouncement.

(the two other questions where along the lines, and I paraphrase, "Do you like to take care of things before there is a problem" and "do you like to hear every little detail or would you just like an overview of procedures."

There is no way to answer these questions honestly without sounding like a douche or a psycho. So when you say "Of course I want the best for my child, I want to take care of problems before they arise, and I don't need every detail for every thing", they now have your permission, in writing, to do every minute piece of crap thing under the sun, needed or not, don't discuss it with you, then demand you pay thousands of dollars for uncovered services.

Maybe that is the shit colored glasses through which I view the world talking, but there you go. Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you. I didn't fill out any of these questions. I was done after my smart ass answer of the first one. They did not press the issue at all.

Comment

Ug, what is it with that question? It was on the paperwork I had to fill out at the VET's. Must be some new thing that's going around in medical office circles. I put, "All treatments will be considered, and I will decide at the time which I feel is appropriate."
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                      X