This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am now a fetch

My 30 y.o. daughter had her gall bladder yanked yesterday, so I'm in charge of:
    Refilling the icebag and reloading the ice tray.
    Heating broth and pouring it in a coffee mug.
    Transporting stuff up to her room.
    Transporting stuff down from her room.
    Waking her up every three hours last night to verify that she hasn't tripped any of the "Panic Now!" items on the patient checklist.
    Errands a/r.

Before they released her they asked her to rate her pain on a 1-10 scale: "About a 3."
    "Woman, what do you do that you're so tough?"
    "I teach at a middle school."
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

My wife had hers removed. It's not a fun process. Led to a funny conversation:

My wife was fighting her anesthesia so I was asking her questions to distract her. One I asked was "What are the names of our cats?"
    She looked at me and said, "I don't know....one of them is a black fuzzbutt....and the other is a light bulb....."
    "A lightbulb??"
    "Yeah....he's not too bright....zzzzzzzzz............"

I just shook my head.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I always preferred the word "gopher".

You know , go-for this, go-for that...

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

My boss's wife had hers out a few weeks ago. She had 4 little incisions. She said it hurt more than her C-section (which was only a few weeks before the gall bladder!). Mostly cuz the C-section was one incision, but with incisions in 4 different places the pain was more spread out.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
          My wife had hers removed. It's not a fun process. Led to a funny conversation:

My wife was fighting her anesthesia so I was asking her questions to distract her. One I asked was "What are the names of our cats?"
          She looked at me and said, "I don't know....one of them is a black fuzzbutt....and the other is a light bulb....."
          "A lightbulb??"
          "Yeah....he's not too bright....zzzzzzzzz............"

I just shook my head.
          Heheheheheh

Comment

When I had my gallbladder removed, the incisions actually didn't hurt that much. It was the CO2 that they pump into your body cavity that caused me a lot of pain. There's all this air just floating inside you (and it's not in your digestive tract, so you don't fart it out). You just have to wait for it to dissipate, but before it does, it tries to escape. It felt like mice with jackhammers were trying to get out of my right shoulder.

If done laproscopically, recovery time is pretty quick - I was basically 100% within a week and eating whatever I wanted in just a few days. I had stones for a few months before I could have the operation - so all that time I was on a strict diet to prevent another attack (I'd already had 2). I had the operation on Monday. On Wednesday Dad took me to town to turn in a job application and we went to Burger King. Best damn hamburger and fries I had ever had in my whole life.

I'm sure her doctor has told her about how the body now processes food a bit differently. When in doubt, always keep Tums and Immodium on hand.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My grandmother, my uncle, and my mom all had their gallbladders out at the age of 48. So in about 10 years, I'll be having mine out too.

My mom was in a lot of pain when she had hers out, and took to her bed for a week. But she feels better now. She said the pain after the surgery wasn't as bad as the pain she had when she discovered she had gallstones. My dad had to carry her to the car to get her to the hospital! And my mom avoids doctors as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X