This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our freezer has frozen up . . .

Or at least that's what we're suspecting.

We just bought a brand new refrigerator back in late February (or was it early March?) since the old side by side decided to start making noises back on New Year's.

So far it's been great . . . we love that bottom drawer that pulls out (freezer on the bottom and double doors up top on the refrigerated part.)

That was, until today right when the sopaie came on and I'd just gotten in from a half day at the Litter Box . . .

No light in the freezer, all our froze stuff felt soft and the ice was melded together. I close the drawer after getting fish put in to the oven and go outside to tell Mom something's not right.

She immediately got on the phone with RTO store where we got the fridge from. After trying to get it through to them that the freezer was not working, someone tells her they'll contact their appliance repair center and have someone call her back ASAP.

An hour later, Mom had to call back to the store to raise cain again because nobody has called her back and our stuff is still thawing. Again, person on the phone tells her he'll call back the company again.

A few minutes after that, appliance company called and Mom had it out with them because they wanted (as did the RTO store) to come and pick up the fridge and send out a loaner.

That sent my mother off on a tirade. We had issues when the fridge was delivered which resulted in some scratches and scuffs on the front of the doors. And she's seen the stuff sitting in their showroom that's pre-rented - a lot of it is beaten and banged up. Oh Hell NO. She told them point blank she was paying for a brand new fridge and she was NOT letting them finish tearing up hers by removing it from our house, nor was she going to take some pre-leased loaner that could possibly be nasty, half-working, etc. Needless to say, they couldn't offer her any other options (big surprise there.)

So she decided upon Option B. Call the repair company that repaired our washing machine and have them come out to work on it. Rep on the phone told her upon hearing the symptoms that it sounds like the defrost fan has frozen up - this sometimes happens even with new refrigerators as well. Soonest they may be able to have someone come is tomorrow.

In the meantime, we had to run to the quickie mart and get ice, empty out the freezer, put the stuff in our big cooler and pour ice over it and store the cooler in the kitchen.

Right before I started dinner, I opened the drawer to see if anything had changed and the light had come back on, and I could see ice crystals in the back over the vents. So I'm thinking that it's probably a frozen fan. I put the lever down on the ice maker and close the drawer.

A few minutes later I heard ice falling into the bin. I haven't opened it since but I'll check on it again tonight before bed shortly. Hopefully this house call won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Appliances . . .can't live without 'em but can't shoot 'em when they give you grief either.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

No... If the light was out, most likely it was an electrical interruption. Make sure the plug is fully in the wall. If it happens again, try wiggling it, shake the freezer and see if the light comes back on, and check the circuit breaker.

Comment

That was my first thought... wonky plug or wire. Just shutting the doors and moving things around would be enough to jiggle the connection back.
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Technician came out on Tuesday while I was at work and checked it out. According to Mom, he told her he'd go ahead and replace the temperature control (why that when the refrigerated part is nice and chilly I don't know) and he'd get back in touch with her in a couple of days after the part came in.

Then he called back a short time after he'd left to ask for the serial number off the fridge . . . which he should have written down while he was there in front of the damn thing.

So far we've heard nothing back from this company, nor has anyone from the RTO store called to follow up. I've already told Mom she needs to contact home office and make a complaint as to how this is being handled. IMO their execution has been a joke.

But the good part of this is that the freezer started getting cold again . . . I checked it Tuesday morning before I left for work and the light was back on and new ice was in the bin - and it was solid. But Mom went ahead and let them come out and take a look anyways.

So everything is back in the freezer and so far it's working fine. My brother adjusted the temp control in the freezer one digit, so so far so good.

Nonetheless the service is a joke . . . and not a funny one at that. If Mom doesn't hear anything back by Monday, I'll suggest she call the store back and complain. And also home office.

At least we're not living out of the cooler right now . . .
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
        X