This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the move (again)

Sometime by the end of this year, more likely into next year, I'll be looking to pull up stakes and plant elsewhere. This is a good thing. A very good thing. Right now I'm in data-hunting mode, scoping out possible new living areas.

I would like to live in someplace that has a majority of the following:

- Low crime rate
    - A more liberal atmosphere (both culturally and governmentally-speaking)
    - Low cost (or at least managable)
    - Good weather/climate - particularly important for an allergy-sufferer like me
    - Easy access to services/activities/amenities/etc. Bonus points if any/all of these things are within walking/biking distance, but if not, I don't mind driving...so long as it's not more than, say, 20+ miles away. (Actually, I don't mind driving per se at all, just because I like it, but I don't like worrying over constant fuel costs. Right now my current situation is such that in order to get to anything you HAVE to drive 20+ miles away - there are NO walkways for pedestrians/bikers, unless you feel like risking your neck on the highways where people routinely do 15 mph over the posted limits - so as you can imagine, fuel burns up. Not cool. I've actually considered getting a moped/scooter-bike (or whatever those little things are called) for short-distance trips because they save on gas and look like they'd be a lot of fun to drive in nice weather.)
    - More to come if I think of any

Would also be interested in:

- the employment outlook for any recommended area.
    - housing options (Odds are that I'd rent, so only places that allow pets would be considered)

Things I do NOT want:

- Rural. Rural is a big reason why I am moving. I would even be willing to consider bona fide big cities at this point. Isolation DOES kill, folks - if not physically, then mentally. (In my case, it's both.)
    - Conservative. (again, both culturally and government) Also another reason for me to move.

I await your recommendations.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Madison, WI.

I've been there and I would hate it there, but I think it meets most of your criteria. Except for perhaps the weather.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Greensboro NC - pretty bike and pedestrian friendly, has decent public transit, the city itself is pretty liberal due to it being home to about 10 different colleges. With that comes reasonable rental prices and I haven't had too many issues with finding employment the couple times I've needed to look. Decently mild climate, but allergy season can be hell. Always lots going on insofar as cultural stuff as far as I know.

Comment

You might like Northern Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati. It's quiet, relatively safe, priced decently and has lots of trees but is not rural. And everything you could ever want is in Cincinnati, a 5-minute drive away.

I don't know about the employment outlook, but if you might be interested PM me and I will do some searching, and also tell you about the apartment complex where we live, it's great and allows pets.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
        X