This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...well, holy crap, it worked.

I admit that I'm lazy when it comes to yardwork. It's not a bad back or sore legs or anything (okay, maybe the low heat tolerance has a lot to do with it), but long story short: we have a serious overgrowth of bamboo in the backyard. We cut as much as we could down last year, destroyed the roots, dug them up and hauled the whole lot off to the landfill, and it ended up growing back. Even stomping the shoots down as I saw them didn't work.

Fast-forward to last night, when I noticed a Craigslist ad for 'free bamboo'. I thought to myself, "Christ, that'll never work." I told my girlfriend about it, and she asked me to make an ad of our own for free bamboo, with the clause that whatever is cut down and dug up, the person keeps. I was skeptical, but I posted the ad anyway.

She calls me on her way home today that she's got two calls, and that one of the callers was on her way to the house right that minute. I looked outside and sure enough. She, her sister, her boyfriend and her kids were all on the front porch waiting for the okay to go to work! They'll be back tomorrow to get the rest of it.

Maybe there's no moral to this story. Or maybe it's a testimony to the power of the word 'FREE'. I'll never figure it out.
    My other car is a Mackinaw.

LMAO!!

Too funny. Some people may just not realize that bamboo just grows insanely and theres no stopping it.

Comment

I love bamboo. I had a neighbor who's daughter I'd babysit and they had a a huge yard with relentless fake bamboo. We made alot of toy swords with those, blow guns, sticks, laser guns, shieldss, etc etc. Lots of fun.

BTW: Free doesn't always work. Someone told me once that they wanted to get rid of a TV, so they put it on porch with FREE on it. No-one took it. When they added a PRICE of twenty bucks or best offer, someone stole it a day later.
      Military Spouse Support.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
        BTW: Free doesn't always work. Someone told me once that they wanted to get rid of a TV, so they put it on porch with FREE on it. No-one took it. When they added a PRICE of twenty bucks or best offer, someone stole it a day later.
        If you can't give it away, trick them into taking it from you?
        My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Maybe you should get a pet panda.

People probably figure if they're just giving away the TV, it probably doesn't work too well.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

ZOMG I NEED TO TRY THAT!

I have a LOT of bamboo that I don't want either and it's being a pain in the ass to get rid of! I should put it up on Craigslist as free as long as they dig it up too!

*walks away muttering how simple it is*
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

More proof that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

There's a reason I love yard sales so much! (And why I have so much damn shit!)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

well you could plant it in a planter for decoration.

also the bamboo is propably not coming from your yard, bamboo is a ...... insect plant or a weed.
                if the roots are not contained as in you dig up the ground, line the hole with plastic, line that with stone then line it again with plastic is some more harty climates, or bury a stone and wood retaining wall and line it (note you always have to use a LINER) then plant.

one of your neighbors, doesnt even have to be close one because the roots can travel far and wide, careless plants their bamboo you get bamboo

Comment

And at least bamboo is arguably more useful than some of the crap people on Craigslist try to get rid of for free. A lot of them (as seen on You Suck at Craigslist) seem to be people thinking, "Oh, I don't want to move all this rubble/sludge/crap/etc. useless stuff myself, and there's no way I'm gonna pay to have it taken to the dump, so I'll see if some schmuck on Craigslist will get it off my yard for me for free."
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

If it comes back, spray it down with Roundup brush killer. And then leave it alone till it dies.

I am currently doing battle with wisteria on my property right now, and have several invasive species I am also trying to slow down. The Roundup heavy brush killer works the best of anything I have used so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X