This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I even thinking of this?

I am thinking of doing something really, really stupid.

As many of you know, the World Cup is here. And there really seems to be some interest in it down here. According to my coworker, yesterday's England-USA game drew some major business.

The next USA game, against Slovenia, is Friday at 10:00 AM Key West time. Normally, The Bar opens at 11:00 AM, at which point the USA-Slovenia match will be well under way. Some bars around here that normally don't do mornings are opening early for such World Cup matches. My managers have said nothing about us doing anything like that.

But as I said, I am thinking of doing something stupid. I am thinking of asking New Boss Man if I can come in early Friday morning, and actually open up early for the game. I am not going to ask anyone else to come in early, and I know full well that the kitchen still won't be open till 11. But I am thinking, hell, why not make some extra money from some morning soccer fans/drinkers? That is a possibility. It is also a possibility that no one shows up and I lose an hour or more of sleep for nothing at the time of the day I hate the most. It is also possible that I get slammed by obnoxious people who refuse to listen to the fact that, cooks in the kitchen or not, there will be no food until 11.

So, what do y'all think? How stupid an idea is this? Should I tape my mouth shut and not suggest this to New Boss Man? Would handing out vuvuzelas to every unruly child under the age of 9 be considered highly intelligent by comparison? Or might this shit actually work?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Well there are some totally awesome people who would love a place to go watch the game with a bunch of other people (especially since it can be hard to find enough friends who give a crap to have your own party) there are at least as many people (at least where I am) who don't give a rat's ass about the World Cup but are taking every opportunity to pretend that they do so they can use it as an excuse to be drunk before noon, all in the name of national pride
    Last edited by Solumina; 06-14-2010, 06:00 AM. Reason: typo demon

Comment

I think it's a great idea And it should impress your boss that you're thinking of ways to improve business.... if he's got half a brain in his head, that is!
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, from a business perspective, it's a good idea.

From a personal perspective, it's idiotic. And let me tell you why.

First, I am not a morning person. This is well-established. Secondly, because I have suggested this, and it is a good idea, what is going to happen next is clear. Tonight, the Lakers are going to win Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Forcing a Game 7. Which will be played Thursday night. Which means I'll be at a bar, drinking, watching the game, till at least midnight. And then, because of my idiotic idea, I'll need to be awake and at my bar at least an hour earlier than normal. And, with my luck, all the early morning Wold Cuppers will be at another bar that is more established for doing this sort of thing.

So I have just two words: GO CELTICS!!!!

Still A Customer."

Comment

YOU GUYS HAVE VUVUZELAS THERE?? Awesome! Do you know how to blow it? more importantly, do you have any idea how LOUD they are?
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I would just say this...do you think the New Boss Man will take this as a sign that you like/want to work mornings, or are overly flexible with your schedule? (Maybe you actually are overly flexible with your schedule, but I'm pretty sure you don't want any more morning shifts than are absolutely necessary.) If he's the type of guy who might hold this over your head ("Hey Jester, we need someone to open tomorrow morning for us!" "No thanks." "What!? But you opened for us last week! I thought you were reliable and flexible! How can you call yourself a team player if you're not willing to work when I need you to?") then I wouldn't even suggest it.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              YOU GUYS HAVE VUVUZELAS THERE?? Awesome! Do you know how to blow it? more importantly, do you have any idea how LOUD they are?
              No, no, and I've heard.

We don't have them, I've just heard about them/seen them on tv. I was just using them to make a verbal point.

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
              I would just say this...do you think the New Boss Man will take this as a sign that you like/want to work mornings, or are overly flexible with your schedule?
              No. Dude's a pretty cool guy. Besides, we don't HAVE morning shifts. As I said, the place normally opens at 11 am. We don't serve breakfast, we don't do mornings, this is a one time deal.

And if the idiots at FIFA schedule another U.S. game for Florida morning time, I will personally fly to their offices and shove flaming vuvuzelas right up their wazoos!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                We have those horns at the Seattle Sounders games (Major League Soccer)

They are insanely loud. Not entirely fond of the things because it is usually children how have them and they blow them when the rest of the stadium are doing one of the chants. Or right in your ear.
                Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

For those who were wondering....

Yes, Jester (that's me) woke up on time at (gasp!) 7 am. (Don't even think about it, kids...this will NOT become a habit, damn it!) Got to The Bar at 8 am. Got everything set up and most of everything stocked by World Cup Opening Time of 9:30 am.

And at first, very little happened. One guy strolled in. And I was beginning to wonder if I had done all of this for nothing. And if I could continue to eat my breakfast burrito if guests continued to come int.

The answer to the first question was simple: no. Because by the beginning of the game, I had a few people in. By shortly after the beginning, I had a good crowd, all of whom stayed for the entire match. And it was worth it, as I made probably $80-$90 I would not have made otherwise....in a short 2.5 hours.

The answer to the second question: I managed to wolf it down before I got too damn busy.

By the time I finished at 7 pm (we had an event that night, so I could not leave until the closing bartender got there at 7), I was exhausted, but flush. I went out to dinner at two different restaurants with Little Red. (We live large, damn it.) And we enjoyed great food and great wines.

Try Tres Picos. You'll thank me.

And thank the GODS that while the U.S.-Algeria game is at 10 am on Wednesday, I don't work Wednesdays! (I do, but not as a bartender.) Woo hoo!!!

Still A Customer."

Comment

IIRC you're safe for next year as the World Cup is every two years.
                    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

The World Cup is every four years. But forget next year, I may not even be safe for this year. If the U.S. advances past the group play stage, which is certainly a possibility, they will have yet more games. Or game, depending on how it goes, since it will be the elimination round.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X