This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 kids stranded in Germany

So I used to attend an international music program as a student, and now I get to be one of the instructors. On this trip the students have 4 days to learn all the music, then we board a plane and tour Europe. It's very fun, mainly because this program mostly takes the students to small towns where the entire community turns out to see you then puts on a show in return and then there's a feast.

One downside, every night is schnitzel and chips (fried chicken and fries) because they think that's what American children want. Anyway, there are 8 tours that happen during the summer. Mine was an East coast tour, four buses of students. For some reason my state always has their own bus and is always housed away from everyone else.

Sometimes this works out for us though. At one stop we're placed in the middle of nowhere twenty miles outside of the town. This means no curfew and we get to stay up late playing Einer ist immer der Arsch(the woman who owns the house teaches the students every year. Can't speak english, but we have a good time. This game has many names: president, asshole, arsehole, rich man poor man, capitalism, scum, bum, root beer, butt head, and in Germany: Einer ist immer der arsch)

So now to the stranded part. Our bus's hotel rooms were given away to some young American future leaders camp. The man pretended not to speak english even though he was fluent in it not even a minute before. We eventually got our money back and were given rooms in a house the next town over. This particular inn didn't allow children, so this was a big deal. They made a wonderful meal for us, which is why I mentioned the Schnitzel earlier. And breakfast was equally awesome. Lots of bragging going on between the students the next day.

So that was what happened on my trip. I love this group, it always goes to the same places so there're a lot of people that I look forward to seeing every year, and the students always love it. I know I did.

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
    So I used to attend an international music program as a student, and now I get to be one of the instructors. On this trip the students have 4 days to learn all the music, then we board a plane and tour Europe. It's very fun, mainly because this program mostly takes the students to small towns where the entire community turns out to see you then puts on a show in return and then there's a feast.
    I had a similar experience one year in my high school band. We went to the UK for two weeks. My favorite concerts were the small-town school concerts - we saw all of our host families and their families. It was fun.

One downside, every night is schnitzel and chips (fried chicken and fries) because they think that's what American children want.
    Kinda like my host family tried to do "American" meals? Pizza and a baked potato or fried chicken with pasta?

So that was what happened on my trip. I love this group, it always goes to the same places so there're a lot of people that I look forward to seeing every year, and the students always love it. I know I did.
    Despite the hangup it sounds like it was fun. I would have loved to do something like that (on a regular basis) during school.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      Kinda like my host family tried to do "American" meals? Pizza and a baked potato or fried chicken with pasta?
      A friend is currently in Lviv, Ukraine, and his host family has made mashed potatoes for dinner every. single. night. He thinks it's just them trying to be polite to an American, since mashed potatoes are decidedly not traditional Ukrainian fare.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        A friend is currently in Lviv, Ukraine

Do you mean L'vov? Which many generations ago was part of Poland? (Borders changed a lot in the last 100+ years, ya know.)

I ask simply because that is where my father's ancestors are from. That very town.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Do you mean L'vov? Which many generations ago was part of Poland? (Borders changed a lot in the last 100+ years, ya know.)

I ask simply because that is where my father's ancestors are from. That very town.
          Yep! The university here has a rather nice program for Russian, East European, and Slavic Studies, and I happen to be friends with a lot of people associated with that program. Last summer, two friends were in St. Petersburg, one was in Kazan, and the other was in Lviv. This year, a different friend is in Lviv, primarily to better his Ukrainian. My friend who went to Lviv last year really loved it there.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Sometimes the best travel adventures come from snafus like that. An unexpected gift to be remembered. Sounds like a wonderful trip flutes.
            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Working...
            X