This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ottid View Post
    While we are talking about leases, how soon do your landlords start pestering you as to if you are moving out or signing the lease again?
    My lease is up at the end of November, and I think they sent the renewal by early September (usually several weeks before it's actually due back).
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

See, I can see that, last landlord was asking if I was moving out or signing on for longer in August, lease finished as the year finished...

I hope this landlord won't be as pushy, as I won't know until November-ish (or later) if I will have a local job or not.

I've never had to sign anything as ridiculous as Jester though, that just seems a little excessive, even if it is CYA, was their a waiver in there in case you tripped over your own chair and hit your head on your own table?
      Began work Aug as casual '08
      Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
      Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
      Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Yeesh, that's pretty ridiculous. Ours was annoying because they made my roommate and I each initial every. single. page. on two copies of it. Ugh.

Comment

May I suggest looking into your local tenant's act? I know in Ontario they're not actually allowed stop your lease early - if you rent from the first to the first, they can't kick you out on the 24th. Of course, I think they can easily cover that by making the beginning of your lease a partial month, so that might not help. (Although I really do wish that more places didn't have every lease start on the first).

Again in Ontario, landlords aren't allowed to change the amount of notice which is required. The lease cannot legally require you to give four months notice if you're not going to renew. Nor can the lease say that the landlord only needs to give you one month's notice. (Again, most student landlords ignore that, and I never fought it, as they really need to know two terms before you leave).

And those are only the two with which I'm familiar.

Comment

Quoth ottid View Post
            ...was their a waiver in there in case you tripped over your own chair and hit your head on your own table?
            I don't remember one, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me if it were there.

Quoth Taboo View Post
            Ours was annoying because they made my roommate and I each initial every. single. page. on two copies of it. Ugh.
            Unless you initialed 38 times, we have you beat. Plus 17 signatures.

Each.

Quoth Magpie View Post
            May I suggest looking into your local tenant's act? I know in Ontario they're not actually allowed stop your lease early
            They are not doing anything illegal, nor are they stopping the lease early per se.

If we renew with them, we will be here for all of July '11, and pay full rent for that month.

If we do not renew with them, our lease will end on July 11, 2011, we will pay pro-rated rent for that month (1/3 of normal), and we will have to be out by the end of the day on 7/11/11.

Nothing illegal or even unethical about that. Just weird.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X