This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Anime fans!

Hubs and I recently got Netflix and I need to add some anime to the queue to balance out the movies he wants that I don't care about. Couple guidelines: not insanely violent and no nudity. So, what are some good animes out there? Some I've seen and like include:

DN Angel
    Fruits Basket
    Tsubasa
    Darker than Black
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Death Note
    Wolf's Rain
    Black Cat
    Spirited Away
    Castle in the Sky
    Nausicaa
    Place Promised in our Early Days
    Voices from a Distant Star

Not interested in DragonballZ or Inuyasha, and if I ever get the urge to watch Full Metal Alchemist, my brother has the whole series, so I won't need to get it through Netflix.
    Last edited by jedimaster91; 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: Added a few I forgot about
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu has more comedic elements in it, with very minimal nudity. (the furthest it gets is Kurt and Sosuke covering their bits with a pan and towel respectively)

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has implied nudity, but no actual nudity is shown. Again, very comedic and has proven to be extremely popular. (if you're downloading the series off of Netflix, have fun by watching it in the "Haruhi" order-that is, the non-chronological order which is how it was aired in Japan) (furthest it gets is Haruhi and Mikuru in bunny-girl outfits)

While Chobits has a good story line, there are quite a few scenes involving nudity to some extent.

DO NOT watch Daphne In The Brilliant Blue-not necessarily nudity, however the "battle" outfits worn by the girls are extremely close to nudity (case in point: one of the outfits has a "C-String", another one consists of a "netting" which covers only the nipples and makes a very bare attempt to cover up "down there.")

Negima only has ONE nude scene in the entire series and that's in the showers where the girls are comparing breast sizes. The rest are mostly odd panty shots or accidental sneezes where the girls are in their underwear.

Really, it depends on what counts as "nudity". The ones I've given either have "covered up nudity" (where strategic objects/movements are used to hide it) or the character is wearing panties and a bra at the minimum.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My husband is a HUGE anime fan so I'm picking his brain for stuff that he likes that's available on Netflix.

Series:

Serial Experiments Lain - I haven't seen this, but he has. Supposed it's sort of drama/mystery with some horror/sci-fi mixed in. My husband calls it a "brain screw." Supposedly it's very good, we have it in our queue to get so I can watch it.

When They Cry - it looks like this isn't out on Netflix yet, but they have an entry for it so they must be trying to get it. This is hands down my favorite anime, ever. It's pretty much straight up horror and can get a little violent at times. I didn't think it was too violent but a few episodes are kind of gory.

Moribito - Based on a book that I read part of, but I didn't finish the book or watch the series. It's about a female mercenary who gets hired to protect a prince from assassins. Japanese Fantasy (as opposed to European Fantasy)/Drama.

Rurouni Kenshin - This is my husband's favorite series. I haven't seen it but he loves it. Set in the late 1800s after the Japanese revolution. The main character, Kenshin, was a soldier in the revolution, and the series is all about him and the trouble/adventures he gets into. Drama/Comedy.

Crest of the Stars & Banner of the Stars - Set in the future, about a planet that gets taken over by aliens and the son of the planet's leader gets to study at the alien's academy as a noble. Sci-Fi/Drama.

Cowboy Bebop Remix - It looks like this is actually just a rerelease of the original series. About a group of space bounty hunters and the missions they take and trouble they get into. Drama/Comedy/Sci-Fi. There's also a movie based on it.

The Twelve Kingdoms - Set in a fantasy world, a girl from the real world gets sucked into the fantasy world and is elected queen, but not everyone wants her to be their leader. Fantasy/Drama.

Oban Star Racers - Set in the future, about a galaxy-wide race where the winner gets any wish granted. Follows the story of one group of racers trying to win the race. Sci-Fi/Comedy.

Now and Then, Here and There - This one can get kind of brutal and violent at times. I've seen it but it was a long time ago so I don't remember the details. About a boy from the real world who gets selected by a girl from a world that's on the verge of destruction to come and save them. It's also rather sad at some points. Sci-Fi/Drama.

El Hazard: The Magnificent World - A group of people from the real world get pulled into a fantasy world where they have super powers. They get selected to save a kingdom from an invading empire. Fantasy/Comedy.

Last Exile - Set in a steampunk world, about two pilots who do random jobs with their transportation ship and end up getting involved in a war between two countries. Sci-Fi/Drama.

Movies:

Anything by Miyazaki, including My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away

Perfect Blue - Sort of a mystery whodunit, although it does have some nudity in it.

Paprika - This is sort of a brain screw too, but not really in a horror sense. It's sort of a sci-fi "wtf is going on" through most of it. I loved the music to it, we ended up buying the sound track right after we watched it.

Comment

Record of the Lodoss War was always my fave. But only because it was based on the writer/directors Dungeons and Dragons game.

It's OVA. Lots of fantasy, wizards knights and all that. Decent story, though some loose ends. I don't recall there being any nudity. I think there was one tiny part where a girl was bathing and was nearly ambushed by some goblins, but I don't think you saw any as she escaping from them.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Hmm...Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (A.K.A. The Wallflower) - hilarious and sweet, four of the pretty boys at school are expected to turn a horror girl into perfect lady for her aunt, their landlady. If they do, they don't have to pay rent until they graduate, but unfortunately, the girl is introverted, secluded and can't stand the sight of any "bright (pretty) creatures", and usually ends up passing out at the sight of them. (Also turned into a Live Action drama this year. It's FABULOUS!)

MAGGIE!! You forgot Howl's Moving Castle!!!!!!!!! Miyazaki is a demi-god in my eyes, I own EVERYTHING he's ever done.

Hana Yori Dango (Boys over Flowers) - Sort of a cinderella twist on a theme. Poor girl on scholarship to an elite uber-rich high school goes up against the four rich boys who's parents technically run Japan, and whenever their bored, they pick on a random student for any slight. She punches the leader in the face...and he sort of falls for her. Hilarity ensues.

Those are the only 2 off the top of my head right now (at work) But when I get home and access my uber-huge list, I'll come back with more. Don't know if they're all available via Netflix, but who knows.

Plaidman!!! LOVE RoLW!!! Deedlit!!! Always causing problems, but it's ok, because they're shiny!! "Don't touch the necklace!" <BOOM> XD

Comment

Loveless...quite a bit of (yaoi) innuendo but never goes past JUST innuendo, and while there's some fighting it's not graphic.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I liked Hellsing; but it's about vampires and pretty violent.

Trinity Blood is good; also about vampires, and higher creatures that HUNT vampires. It's also more light-hearted.

Black Blood Brothers is another about vampires, but pretty funny! Especially when the one vampire has to be out in the sun he has to carry a little parasol!

Gun Sword is a neat Gundam-type show; main character is a wanderer who always gets sucked into a situation that's not his fault and ends-up having to save the day.

Trigun. With Vash the Stampede and his call of 'Love and Peace!' you can't go wrong!

Big-O is an older anime; It's the future, but looks about 1950, with robots and androids. The entire human population has lost it's memories of the past 10-years.

Ranma 1/2 is also an older anime, but HILARIOUS! About a boy cursed to turn into a girl whenever he's splashed with cold water...His father turns into a panda!

BTW, Lodoss War is a classic, so is anything Miyazaki; he is a god!
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                MAGGIE!! You forgot Howl's Moving Castle!!!!!!!!! Miyazaki is a demi-god in my eyes, I own EVERYTHING he's ever done.
                Augh, sorry! I knew there were some that we were missing, but I couldn't think of them all.

Comment

I love Miyazaki's stuff and I can't believe I forgot to include him on my previous list.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

If you're into sci-fi stuff, any of the .hack series (pronunced dot hack) are worth watching.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      If you're into sci-fi stuff, any of the .hack series (pronunced dot hack) are worth watching.
                      I personally fell asleep watching those alot of times.
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                        Personally I loathed Howls (I love everything else I've seen by Miyazaki) mostly because I'd read the book so many times I know it backwards, forwards and sideways. If they had called it something else I may have said it had a slightly similar plot but it wasn't Howls.
                        As soon as I start thinking
                        That I'm sensible and sane
                        The Random Hedgehog comes along
                        And fiddles with my Brain
                        (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                          Serial Experiments Lain - I haven't seen this, but he has. Supposed it's sort of drama/mystery with some horror/sci-fi mixed in. My husband calls it a "brain screw." Supposedly it's very good, we have it in our queue to get so I can watch it.
                          There have been arguments spanning years about what exactly it's about. Hard to grasp at times, but quite good in its own bizarre way. There are a few scenes/flashes that could be considered violent, but it's mostly implied.
                          Rurouni Kenshin - This is my husband's favorite series. I haven't seen it but he loves it. Set in the late 1800s after the Japanese revolution. The main character, Kenshin, was a soldier in the revolution, and the series is all about him and the trouble/adventures he gets into. Drama/Comedy.
                          I like Kenshin. Not as big of a fan as I used to be (mainly cuz I haven't seen it in a few years). Some violence/blood, but it's not the main focus.

I'd also recommend:

Dragon Half - Comedy high on the WTF factor.
                          Hell Girl - Horror/drama about a demon girl (Enma Ai) who will send a person's aggressor straight to hell on one condition: that the person who calls on her also goes straight to her realm when they die.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Hmmmm, no violence or nudity.

Avatar the Last Airbender was one I rather enjoyed.
                            Pani-Poni Dash makes fun of other anime. It's cute too.
                            Metropolis. I loved this one.
                            Witch Hunter Robin isn't what I would call particularly violent. Considering you have Death Note.
                            Chance Pop Session sounds like it would be cute. I've not seen it or heard of it but it's on the Netflix list.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                              Trigun. With Vash the Stampede and his call of 'Love and Peace!' you can't go wrong!
                              Well, the first half at any rate. The second half get's decidedly darker.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X