X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck with health insurance?

2 months ago:

Boss man - "Hey everyone, just letting you know it'll be a loooong summer with lots of overtime!"

Me: "Awesome, so I can afford the top health insurance plan!"

Now: Our days don't last much longer than 6 hours, if that. Some weeks I'm barely getting a paycheck because it all goes to insurance.

I know that supposedly you're stuck with health insurance for a year, but isn't there some way out of it, short of quitting my job or getting divorced? Some legal loophole or something or other?

It'll be doing us all good and well if someone gets in a car accident, but until then, we won't be able to survive if we can't eat.

What's the point of having health insurance if after the premiums are taken out of your paycheck you barely have enough left over for essentials? Cancel it if you can. No health insurance in the world is going to help you if you starve. Common sense has to prevail in this instance.

Comment

I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but I was able to cancel my insurance in the middle of the year when my husband's got great insurance through work. Best bet is to contact HR or your agent (if it's not through work) and explain the situation, see what they can do. Good luck!
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but I was able to cancel my insurance in the middle of the year when my husband's got great insurance through work.
        you were able to cancel due to having other coverage-which is a "qualifying event"-it's actually federal law, part of the tax code technically. You are required to wait for open enrollment by IRS section 125 for as long as you meet the definition of "eligible employee" If you no longer meet the definition of eligible employee , and your company does not include part timers as eligible employees, you should be able to discontinue coverage.
        Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 06-24-2010, 01:34 AM.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Hm, I believe at my job you can cancel at any point, but you have to sign up within open enrollment. But maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

You can't cancel in the middle of the year. I tried once when I realized what a scam that health insurance policy was.

Comment

Working...
            X