This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating Plasma for Cash

My friend was stranded at a train station today because electricity was lost during today's huge storm so I drove to pick her up at the one the let her off at. On the way back, she was talking about maybe selling plasma for cash. I know one of my cousins did it back in college. There's a Red Cross in town that will do it.

Anyone ever do it before? If so, how much did you make? How much time was it? I've donated blood multiple times so it doesn't even phase me anymore.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

I think it can vary depending on how much you donate (they go on your weight), and for me donating the max amount (880 ML) it took about 2 hours from the time I walked in the door, to the time I got paid. Which was about $35
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

2 hours? Damn.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
        There's a Red Cross in town that will do it.
        The Red Cross does not pay donors. They do collect blood but that's a different category.

Most commercial plasma collectors are located in a city's skid row area.
        "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
        -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

2 hours includes my wait time, weigh in, medical questions, finger stick, blood pressure and temp, and THEN the actual donation.
          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post
            Most commercial plasma collectors are located in a city's skid row area.
            unfortunately kinda true. also, don't date anyone you meet there. friend of mine tried that once. didn't go too well

Quoth Sarlon View Post
            2 hours includes my wait time, weigh in, medical questions, finger stick, blood pressure and temp, and THEN the actual donation.
            if it's your first time, it'll take longer. my friend does it about 3 times a week and she says she's in and out in half an hour usually.
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

Thirding the "located in skid row" comments. I went to sell plasma once and it was filled to the BRIM with people who don't even look like they have usable blood (to put it nicely). California doesn't "buy" for this reason, I think. If you're giving blood, or anything else, its unpaid. I still donate because its nice to do. I should be getting close to a gallon soon. :3

And it was like a five hour wait to be SEEN in Kansas City and 50$ for your trouble. If you didn't get hepatitis or robbed. Ugh.

(I know I'm swapping "blood" and "plasma" like theyre the same thing, but I don't know if california does plasma at all. Theres Apheresis, but only men can do that.)
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I used to before the Red Cross implemented their ban.
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I sold plasma a couple times, but it was not on skid row...it was in the heart of my college town. Just saying.

Now, this was in the early Nineties, so the money I made was far less than what is being talked about, but for a little time out of my morning, I think I made somewhere betwee $20-25.

Which I promptly took down to the sports bar and used to buy beer while I watched football games. Which was the whole reason I sold the plasma in the first place.

And definitely against the advice of the people who work at plasma donation places.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

The plasma place here is also in the middle of this college town, but I have heard horror stories from a friend that used to work there.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

One of roommate's sons used to work at the local plasma place. Not skid row around here, it's actually across the street from the two local hospitals.

Hmmm, sounds like a pretty easy way to make some money. Hadn't occurred to me. I might have to check it out.

Comment

I've sold plasma a few times.

The first time you go will take HOURS. Arrive as soon as the place opens and bring a book or something to do. There will be a mini physical and LOTS of waiting. I've seriously spent up to 5 hours at my first appointment at a place.

Once you get set up with the place, the visits are much shorter and there is far less waiting involved.

Comment

Australia doesn't do the 'selling blood' thing at all. It's all volunteer.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I posted something similar to this a month or so ago, and got a lot of good responses.

I still haven't done it yet. I don't have time, with so much overtime and barely any free time in the mornings and evenings as it is to even do my damn errands and even relax......I'm going to save it for if overtime ever goes away and I need extra cash.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My husband recently did this, when we were running low on money, and needed some extra cash. I've also sold plasma many times before for extra cash.

We live in a fairly big city so there are places scattered throughout the city, you can go to. The one my husband goes to is only a couple miles away from our house. It's in an ok area of town. The place is not very busy at all, and they are actually trying to attract new donors.

The pay is set up as follows. Your 1st time donating gets you $25, then on your 2nd donation you get paid $30, the 3rd gets you $35, and the 4th gets you $40. But the catch is all 4 donations must be done in a 2 week time period. After those first 4 donations, you get $20, for your first donation and $25 for the second, as long as the second one is done in the same week as the first one.

My husband gets in and out in a couple hours. Different people take different amounts of time to donate. I think on average it takes about 45 to 90 minutes, but again it varies from person to person, and how busy the place is.

One place we went to, they recommended that as new donors we show up right when they opened. Which we did, and were still stuck waiting all day to donate. The place was just that busy and crowded.

The place my husband uses now is much quieter and less crowded. When he went the first time, the entire process only took 2-3 hours as opposed to all day.

But regardless of where you go, I would definitely make sure to bring something to entertain yourself with, because there will be sitting and waiting involved. In every place, I've been to, to donate, in the actual donation room, there are several televisions, and a movie playing, which is a nice distraction.

I'd also recommend that before you go, you drink plenty of water, since it can help the donation go faster. It can also make your veins easier to spot and access, and less chance for someone to blow your vein. Overall I would say if you need or want a bit of extra cash and don't mind a bit of a wait or needles then selling plasma is a good way to get a little extra cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X