This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another hip update

Yay. Doctor wants more xrays. No real shock.

Xray's show neurofibroma eating pelvis. (Looks like Pacman just ate a big chunk of it).

Xray show no cartillage.

Xray shows that even if they fix it, the cup of my leg won't fit in my pelvis anyway.

Lost of blood vessals.

Diagnositc: Hip replacment is needed.

Will Doctor do it?
    Nope. Too young.

He did suggest a few other things, such as a hip fusion and later on in my life I can do a hip replacment. Few doctors do hip fusions anymore though. He does do it himself, cept for kids not adults. He might be able to find another doctor that can.

So yay. More doctors stating I need a replacement, but once again, no fucking doctor that will do it.

On the bright side, he was more honest and told me more then other doctors. That this isn't just a replacement. I have so much bone missing right now, cartillage gone, the fact that the cup won't fit in pelvis anyway, and my weight is bearing on it which is what causing pain. Oh, and it will get worst.

Yippie. Also: While hip fusion is possible, my scoliosis may or may not effect it. I can bend my spine fine. Not my hip.

Just more stupid bullshit with no real fucking hope of a stinking future. Really pisses me off that I don't have anything to look forward to in this life.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Quoth Plaidman View Post

Will Doctor do it?
    Nope. Too young.
    This seems like the very definition of stupid to me. Although it's good that he was more communicative than your other doctors. Did he tell you how old he considered 'old enough' and/or why the age was an issue?

You have things to look forward to. You're not in jail or given a few years to live - you're just surrounded by useless doctors, apparently. I know that doesn't help much, though. I can't say whether or not the medical stuff will get better any time soon since I don't know much about that, but I think you'll have other things that help. Are you still able to get out and do things with friends, even if you can't be as active as you'd like to? *big hugs* I kind of want to smack someone over this whole "too young to get the surgery that would allow you to live with less pain and thus not miss out on your youth" crap.

Hey, I know this is random, but is your address still the same as on the Xmas card list? I'd like to at least send you a get well card or something since there's not much else I can do from here. (I can just picture if you've moved and the new people there are all "oh god why are people from the internet mailing us things?!" lol.)

Comment

Maybe I'm just dumb, but what does age have to do with the fact that your poor hip is disappearing, but no replacement can be done?
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Doctors are stupid.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
          Maybe I'm just dumb, but what does age have to do with the fact that your poor hip is disappearing, but no replacement can be done?
          Ortho's don't like to do replacements on the young because a joint replacement generally only lasts about 20 years, which means he will need another one when he's around his mid-40's (sorry not sure of your age Plaid ) and the 2nd one is that much more complicated than the first.

They try to put it off as long as they can. However, based on the amount of damage that is there, and pain Plaid is in, this is one of the times they should consider making an exception. For most people, quality of life vastly improves once the replacement is done.

Plaid, I'd keep going to Ortho's until you find one willing to listen.
          "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
            It sounds like what you're needing is more bone fused to the hip plate and cartilage added. Has anyone thought abt stem cells? Ask the doc also ab bone marrow/ txplants? Cant bones be regrown with some help?

My bf had hip surg when he wa 2, in 1968. the socket on 1 side was mising, it was a solid piece, no where for ball joint to be. Has to carve hole put jt in and hope it worked. Hes still walking, even tho his hip jt is rough and chunky unlike normal sockets.

Another thought: search online for doctor advice forums. thet exist. put forth ideas and ?s and see if you get any bites.

Hugs Plaidy, and fight for the treatment you need. My friend was 25 and WANTED tubal ligation. She had to fight to get drs to do it, and signed disclaimer abt I will Never Change My mind and Sue You.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Wow. Thanks all.

Yeah. The age has to deal with it being worn out fast and harder and harder to replace. I'd likely need 3 or 4 at my age.

They consider anyone under 50 to be young, and I'm 25.
              Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Come to Canada. Socialized medicine, and I had doctors offering me a knee replacement when I was 17. Now that I'm 34, they're practically INSISTING on it.

That, and I've got a comfy couch (recliner) to sleep on...
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

Will Doctor do it?
                  Nope. Too young.
                  Quoth Taboo View Post
                  This seems like the very definition of stupid to me. Although it's good that he was more communicative than your other doctors. Did he tell you how old he considered 'old enough' and/or why the age was an issue?
                  HELL TO THE YES.

My wife is 38 and getting a partial-partial hip replacement later this year. In fact, orthopedic surgeons prefer younger patients because they tend to heal much better in a much shorter period of time than older ones.

I'll ask my wife to ask her orthopedic surgeon who a good one in your area (Portland, OR?) would be. We do know god ones in Fort Lauderdale (my wife's) and NYC (one she used to use).

(Actually, i emailed my father in law who is a retired surgeon and my mother in law works at my wife's orthopedic surgeon's office).

I'll post if I get an answer.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Aw dude that's awful! At least you got some more information. It's terrible that they can't do anything for you, especially considering one of my best mates is the same age as you, has needed a hip replacement since he was 17 according to his doctors and has been told that he can have one when he wants it.
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

*carefully tackle hugs* I'm sorry kitty.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        Come to Canada. Socialized medicine, and I had doctors offering me a knee replacement when I was 17. Now that I'm 34, they're practically INSISTING on it.
                        Ok, I think you're clearly from another province... a 50-year-old friend FINALLY managed to get her knee replacement done. Same problem - too young. And there's a very hard upper limit on how many they can do, she said, something about needing to anchor it in a large bone, and not having enough space to do that too many times.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                          And there's a very hard upper limit on how many they can do, she said, something about needing to anchor it in a large bone, and not having enough space to do that too many times.
                          One of the examples doc gave. At 50 it might last rest of my life. At my age, I'm looking at two, three maybe even four more through my life. At which point there is no bone to get it through.,
                          Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                            and my weight is bearing on it which is what causing pain.
                            have you thought about a cane? it might help with some of the pain because you won't be putting as much weight on it. and i know there's some pretty awesome canes out there.

*huggles* i really hope someone does something to help you soon. someone mentioned stem cells...it might be something to look into.
                            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                            ^_^

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                              have you thought about a cane? it might help with some of the pain because you won't be putting as much weight on it. and i know there's some pretty awesome canes out there.

*huggles* i really hope someone does something to help you soon. someone mentioned stem cells...it might be something to look into.
                              I has a cane. I use it. Just not very good at it yet. Even though it hurts, I still walk faster without it then with it.
                              Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Working...
                              X