This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected visitor at my front door.

So yesterday, I open the front door and there is a big snapping turtle on my porch.

Yeah.

I said " "
    Turtle said "hssssss....."

So the question is:

1. Did it get itself up there? Two or three brick steps, not much up there but a cocoa mat. So, if it did, why?

2. Did someone put it there? Various possible explanations vary from (prank)"lets put the turtle there and hide and watch her freak when she comes out" to (revenge) "Insult my mystery meat sales attempt, eh? Let's see how the bitch deals with an alligator snapper on her porch!" to (aid) "The crazy reptile lady on the street will know what to do with this turtle" to (altruism) " The flakey broad over there might like to eat that."

In any case, I simply wrestled the thing off the porch and let it go on it's way.

Alligator snappers can get into the weirdest places. XD I once found one in the middle of the street, in the middle of my suburb, and confusingly far away from the nearest source of water. We were nice and gave him a ride to the gully where we think he came from, but I still wonder what he was doing so far away from it. XD

Comment

Yeeesh, those things can be mean. Hope it was able to safely shuffle off to a ditch someplace.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Well, I didn't put the thing in the backyard inside the fence because they can usually find their way home and I didn't want it to be trapped if it wanted to leave. Might have been a nesting female. There is a little creek up the road, but she was several houses away from it. Been raining a lot here, might have washed in from someplace.

I understand they can find their way home over a mile or two. I just hope it doesn't get in the road or anything.

Comment

A few years ago, there was a snapping turtle migration along parts of Rt 24 in RI. No idea where they came from or where they were trying to go.

("You forget, I was present at an unexplained overland mass turtle migration!")
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-02-2010, 12:28 AM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            ("You forget, I was present at an unexplained overland mass turtle migration!")
            ("The turtles migrated a yard and a half." *shot*)

Sorry. Had to.

Comment

To quote from Con Air: "On any other day, that would seem strange."
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

So where's Ms. Snappy now?
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                X