This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Lunch

Please help those of you who prepare your own lunches.

I want to take something to work easy to prepare before work or day before, nice to eat cold, i have no fridge or cooker or microwave at work, and weather is very hot and nowhere to buy food as not give long for lunch.

I am bored with sandwiches.

I was thinking maybe a nice salad with dressing or some kind of pasta dish?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

I make a golden rice dish (add turmeric when it's boiling, but make sure it's in a stainless steel pan), rinse it and cool it, then mix with wholegrain mustard, mayonnaise, toasted cashew and pine nuts, and then serve with some cooked chicken on top. Will need refridgerating at work, but it's damned nice.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      I make a golden rice dish (add turmeric when it's boiling, but make sure it's in a stainless steel pan), rinse it and cool it, then mix with wholegrain mustard, mayonnaise, toasted cashew and pine nuts, and then serve with some cooked chicken on top. Will need refridgerating at work, but it's damned nice.

Rapscallion

Now that sounds Raps but i dont have a fridge at work (or rather, there is one but it is grotty....I wouldn't want to put food i it even sealed.......) and you have to be careful with rice, but i wonder if i take it (or other food) in a coolbag and pack it with those blocks you put in the freezer then they keep food cool?

Comment

Fried chicken?
        Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

My mom makes pasta salad with elbow macaroni, tuna, mayo, celery and onions. Or add whatever other veggies you would like. Or chicken. It's yummy and keeps fine in an insulated bag with an ice pack for a few hours.

And now I want some.
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-17-2010, 07:53 PM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
            but i wonder if i take it (or other food) in a coolbag and pack it with those blocks you put in the freezer then they keep food cool?
            That would be the best idea, methinks.

Rapscallion

Comment

If you've got the cold bags, then pasta salads are good. I make one with baby spinach, grape tomatoes, feta, and orzo pasta. Really tasty, really easy. In fact...I need to make a batch today. Hmm.

Also, tuna salad, egg salad, etc. pack in the cold bag, bring some bread or crackers and assemble during lunchtime. Hummus and carrot sticks or pita chips also a good combination. Even a chopped salad is good, lettuce, tomatoes, and other veggies, salad dressing in a separate container, shake it together during lunch time. These are easy to switch up, too. You can change out veggies, add hard boiled eggs, chicken, turkey, ham, cheese, and change the dressings, etc.

Comment

I make crock pot recipes all the time. I just throw it together, put it on high/low and leave for work. When I get back I have dinner/lunch for at least 3-4 days. I'll usually make 2-3 crock pots of food to last a week, week and a half so I don't really have to cook unless I want something special.

I'm considering a crock pot thread for recipes (and delicious photos) but I don't know if anyone wants to see it/uses a crock pot to contribute.

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                If you've got the cold bags, then pasta salads are good. I make one with baby spinach, grape tomatoes, feta, and orzo pasta. Really tasty, really easy. In fact...I need to make a batch today. Hmm.
                I have been looking for a decent version of this recipe for forever! Gimme!
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Chicken salad with the grapes and walnuts ( I use almonds).

Cold packs are the essential to a good work/school/vacation lunch. I have five in my freezer at any given point. Currently there are six cause I just emptied my lunch bag. I have three different sizes for three different lunch bags for different meals that need different containers.

Comment

[QUOTE=Whiskey;756496]I make crock pot recipes all the time. I just throw it together, put it on high/low and leave for work. When I get back I have dinner/lunch for at least 3-4 days. I'll usually make 2-3 crock pots of food to last a week, week and a half so I don't really have to cook unless I want something special.

I'm considering a crock pot thread for recipes (and delicious photos) but I don't know if anyone wants to see it/uses a crock pot to contribute.

QUOTE]

Yes! I use a crockpot for having a meal ready when i come in from work, but I tend to do the same few recipes all the time (chicken casserole, lamb and beans, beef stew)

Comment

What my husband does is carry into work a plastic bowl that can be microwaved & a can of soup. He's been doing this everyday for the past 6 months. It works for him.

I love the macaroni salad (I do up a pound of macaroni, add 1-2 cans of tuna, mayo, 2-3 hardboiled eggs, and some celery flakes). Now I want macaroni salad too.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        I have been looking for a decent version of this recipe for forever! Gimme!
                        <yelps!> Dun hurt me! HERE!!! ()

Spinach and Tomato Pasta Salad
                        8 oz orzo pasta
                        8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
                        16 oz grape tomatoes
                        4 cups baby spinach
                        1/4 tsp black pepper
                        2 Tbsp Parmesan shredded

Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Combine spinach and feta in a large bowl.

Scoop out 1/4 cup of water before draining it, and add to spinach and feta and give it a light toss.

Place the tomatoes in a colander, drain the pasta over said tomatoes to give them a quick blanch. Combine tomatoes and pasta with spinach and feta. season with black pepper, and sprinkle shredded parm on top. Can be eaten warm or cold, makes 6 or so 2 cup servings.

I've been told that adding 1-2 tbsp of capers is also good, but given that I've no idea what capers taste like, I couldn't tell you.

Enjoy!

Comment

Quiches, fritattas and other eggy things are good and will keep with an insulated bag or a cold brick.

Rice paper rolls are yummy. Sushi, presumably, though I'd be careful with the seafood type and make certain to keep it cold.

Veggies with a dip. Cut up veggies are GOOD with the right dip.
                          You can make a hummus dip with a small can of chickpeas and a fork right there in the breakroom - open the chickpea can, drain off excess moisture, squirt in a little bit of lemon juice if you want, and then mush up the chickpeas. Eat with your veggies. Or make it at home, and add more flavourings.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I would say if you want to keep stuff cool at work instead of a coolbag get a actual cooler. When I'm farming and my lunch is in the truck or tractor all day. a small hard-sided cooler keeps my food and pop colder than a soft-side bag. In fact the hard side cooler stays cold enough to freeze my Rice Krispy squares. It's not much bigger than a cool bag.
                            They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

I agree that proper hard-sided coolers keep things cool for longer, but if you have an ice pack then a soft-sided one will keep them cool enough for long enough - this is only a half day. It's also easier to fit into a bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X