Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell happened to the freakin' Weather Channel!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell happened to the freakin' Weather Channel!!!!

I turned it on this morning to check out the weather for the road trip home. You know what they were doing????

Instead of weather, they had a newscast from CNBC about some blonde bimbo having an affair with a freakin' Corporate CEO!!!

What the hell does THAT have to do with the weather????

Oh well I guess you could say the CEO's marriage will be a little "stormy"????

It seems they are moving away from weather, sometimes.

Sometimes they don't even have the Locals on the Eight which irritates me because I used to always be able to get the forecast on the eights of the hour.

Comment

You must have caught Wake Up With Al (Roker). Oddly, Al is on vacation right now, but I caught the same bit.

Definitely a bit less real weather coverage, but I love watching Storm Stories, especially when they have tornadoes. I (barely) live in tornado alley too. I sometimes fall asleep watching it though and wind up having nightmares about twisters.

Gotta get that advertiser money, and to get the ad money, they need more viewers... it's an endless cycle.

Here, if you catch it on SD, Local on the 8's works fine. If you dare to watch it in HD, you get a generic US forecast with the same music. Kind of pointless to watch it in HD except during Storm Stories though, especially since they seem to have switched to using a (crappy and dim) rear projection setup of some kind instead of superimposed/green screen images while doing live weather updates.

Catch HLN (formerly CNN Headline News) sometime when they're doing weather, they went way, way, way overboard.

Comment

The Weather Channel is now owned by NBC. And all their reality programming sucks.

I don't even visit their website. I go right to the National Weather Service's site instead.

And I used to love watching the Weather Channel. I remember spending an entire Saturday afternoon in front of the TV instead of playing outside, because they had people live on the air from Kansas while a bunch of tornadoes were hitting. And I was watching them give their reports as sirens were wailing in the background and thinking "This is so freaking cool."

Now, all you get are stupid shows about how weather made the Titanic sink or something. Can't a guy just get the local forecast?
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There aren't as many hurricanes so they're not in full alert all the time like they were a few years ago. Now they get all excited over a tropical storm even!
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Heh... ...

Comment

nice....I telnetted to it and it's quick and to the point.
              Last edited by MadMike; 08-11-2010, 03:20 AM. Reason: No need to quote the screenshot
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Coooooooool!
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I'd MUCH RATHER rely on that for my weather info than the corporate-driven entertainment garbage they have on TWC.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 08-11-2010, 03:20 AM. Reason: Again

Comment

Glad to be helpful!

Comment

The Weather Underground is a great site. IMO they even have better maps than NOAA.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        And I used to love watching the Weather Channel. I remember spending an entire Saturday afternoon in front of the TV instead of playing outside, because they had people live on the air from Kansas while a bunch of tornadoes were hitting. And I was watching them give their reports as sirens were wailing in the background and thinking "This is so freaking cool."

Can't a guy just get the local forecast?
                        I would like to point out that the thing that made you watch the channel all day that you thought was so cool was NOT the local forecast.

Just saying.

Also, while I have no issue with what you did, I feel the strong need to point out, as someone who lives in Hurricane Central, that what you think is cool to watch when you are not there (tornadoes and hurricanes) is something that is not nearly as cool when you are watching it because (A) you are in the middle of it, or (B) it is bearing down on you and you are either about to be in the middle of it or think you are about to be in the middle of it but aren't.

That is all.

Quoth draggar View Post
                        There aren't as many hurricanes so they're not in full alert all the time like they were a few years ago. Now they get all excited over a tropical storm even!
                        And the last "tropical storm" was a freakin' joke. Everyone going nuts, warnings, this that and the other, my apartment complex putting out written warnings to get stuff off your balcony because of the high winds....and the day of the "storm" there was no wind (not even the typical Key West wind) and almost no rain at all. Freakin. Joke.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Same thing that happened to MTV, the former Music Television.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Sadly, the Golf Channel is still all about golf, Game Show Channel still has tons of lame decades-old game shows, and Lifetime is still Lifetime.

The good news is, the Playboy Channel is still all about pussy naked women. Unfortunately, my cable package does not include this last (awesome) channel.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Also, while I have no issue with what you did, I feel the strong need to point out, as someone who lives in Hurricane Central, that what you think is cool to watch when you are not there (tornadoes and hurricanes) is something that is not nearly as cool when you are watching it because (A) you are in the middle of it, or (B) it is bearing down on you and you are either about to be in the middle of it or think you are about to be in the middle of it but aren't.

That is all.
                              Um, this.

I've lived in tornado-prone areas all my life, and it's not cool or fun. Granted, I roll my eyes at a lot of the warnings and stuff, but...when it gets bad, it gets bad. With little warning. A tornado wiped out an entire town not too far from here.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X