This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Scams, questions.

Alright, so I'm trying to sell my little podunk car on craigslist. I posted the following ad.

This car is beat up, but it's never let me down.

Undesirable features:
    The paint is wonky, its has white speckles and the roof is discolored. (see pictures)

The windshield has a large crack in it (in pics, but can't see it). I've never gotten pulled over for it, but it does need to be replaced.

The amp to the battery is blown. As far as I know its not sold in stores anymore (80 AMP male), but Pick n' Pull should have them. I'm not good with pulling out parts/putting them in so I haven't done this. Its the only thing keeping the car from running.

The electrical needs to be tweaked. Power locks will only work from the passenger side.

Good stuff:
    Its a 4 cylinder so its low on gas. It costs me 30$ to fill it up.

A/C & Heater work perfectly

A new engine was put in it a year or two before I bought it. I don't know how many miles are on it though.

I just put a new starter in it six months back.

Smogged and tagged in February 2010.

I just replaced two of the tires with used, but good condition tires.

It's definitely a fix-it car, but if you're good with cars, its not a huge project. Its just a bunch of little stuff I don't have time to work on.

1000$, possibly willing to low price substantially for someone with a good road bike/cruiser.
    I've gotten 2 responses. One was an obvious scammer (sure, i'll deposit that check into my account and mail you the amount over right away!), but I don't know how to tell legit interest from possible scams.

I got an email from someone who's email name shows up as bang dinh. Obviously, not a really common name (if its their name). All they wrote was "
    I want to buy your car. My phone number is [local phone number redacted]." Since its a local number, I'm thinking its legit? I'm scared of talking on the phone and I don't want to get my hopes up over a scammer :\

As it turns out, the amp IS sold locally for like five bucks. I might need to repost the ad. Maybe I'll see if I can fix it next week since I havent got shit to do for five days.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

ok, I'll buy your car.

As I'm in another country, I'll get my agent to deal with it, so I'll post you a check for more than you ask and you can send the rest to my agent.

Deal?

Couldn't resist.

But you are right to be cautious, I heard a lot of scams are on craigslist.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Register a new Skype account and call the person using your first free domestic call. Arrange a meeting in a parking lot directly in front of a large store during business hours. And there you are.

Comment

Change or yank that ad - there's too many negative aspects, you're "dissing" the car online.

How about:

Car for sale.
        X miles,
        Engine installed in 2009
        New starter
        Tested and tagged Feb 2010
        Heater and AC work great

put a pros and cons list

cons:
        windshield is cracked slightly
        Needs new amp ($5 at so's place)

Great for a first time driver or someone who needs a beater with a heater.

Alternatively, you could go to a dealership that does auctions and see if they'll take it on consignment.
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post

put a pros and cons list
          I thought my ad was a pros and cons list. Here are the bad things, here are the good things. Good things last to leave the last thing they read a good comment.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
            Change or yank that ad - there's too many negative aspects, you're "dissing" the car online.
            I disagree with this. Better to disclose everything that's wrong with the car than have the buyer come back later complaining about a bunch of stuff that wasn't mentioned and wanting a refund.

$1000 is a sizable chunk of money. As a buyer I'd want to know exactly what I'm getting for my thousand smackers.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Required Reading:
              http://www.edmunds.com/advice/sellin...0/article.html

I agree with Cutenoob. Dis the car too much, you chase away buyers. If/when you are asked, disclose the details.

"It has problems, but it is worth the asking price. Come check it out."
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Change your ad to read the way the person above wrote it. Your idea of having them read something good last doesnt work because they have already hit the back button and moved on long before they get to the positives. The way it reads now sounds like you have some old piece of crap that doesnt run and looks bad. You need to make it so that it sounds like a great bargain that only needs some paint work and maybe a new windshield.

I think that you are possibly confused on the name of the part that it needs. An amp is a measurement of electrical current, not a part (well it could be an amp(lifier) for the stereo but that doesnt stop the car from running so I assume that isn't what you are talking about. Does it need a new fuse? A potential buyer is probably not going to believe you know what is wrong with it if you don't know the correct term. Whatever the problem is fix it if you possibly can. 90% of your potential market just walked away when you told them it doesnt run.

Comment

Quoth Imprl59 View Post
                  Change your ad to read the way the person above wrote it. Your idea of having them read something good last doesnt work because they have already hit the back button and moved on long before they get to the positives. The way it reads now sounds like you have some old piece of crap that doesnt run and looks bad. You need to make it so that it sounds like a great bargain that only needs some paint work and maybe a new windshield.

I think that you are possibly confused on the name of the part that it needs. An amp is a measurement of electrical current, not a part (well it could be an amp(lifier) for the stereo but that doesnt stop the car from running so I assume that isn't what you are talking about. Does it need a new fuse? A potential buyer is probably not going to believe you know what is wrong with it if you don't know the correct term. Whatever the problem is fix it if you possibly can. 90% of your potential market just walked away when you told them it doesnt run.
                  It is an old piece of crap that doesnt run and looks bad. Anyone who tries to start the car will realize it doesn't run. I already changed the name, its a fuse, I just call it an amp because (like the ad says) i don't really do cars. I dont actually know whats wrong with it. Whats going to happen when they show up for this *great bargain* and the car doesn't start? I really don't understand. Do people suddenly not care a car doesnt start after emailing about the car? Or showing up to a car that doesn't run? Will the buy the car and have it towed to their house just because they drove five miles to my house?
                  Last edited by Whiskey; 08-16-2010, 05:10 AM.

Comment

No where in my reply did I say you should mislead anyone. Just that you need to list all the good stuff and get their interest up then give them the bad stuff. When you start with the bad stuff they never make it to the good stuff and lose interest.

Honestly if you can't fix it or aren't able to have it fixed and it really is a junker then chances are very slim that you are going to get a serious buyer. Most people buying a 1k car are doing so because that is all they have to spend. They aren't going to spend everything they have on something that doesnt run for an unknown reason.
                    Last edited by Imprl59; 08-16-2010, 05:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Quoth Imprl59 View Post
                      They aren't going to spend everything they have on something that doesnt run for an unknown reason.
                      You don't get anything in my area for less than 3K that runs. If I could fix the car myself, I wouldn't be hitching rides or walking 3 miles home at 330 in the morning from work.
                      Last edited by Whiskey; 08-16-2010, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Info if you decide to dontate instead of sell.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                        X