X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its not obscene if you give it a ridiculous name ending with "pose"

This is about Yoga, obviously.

I want to start again, but I'm not buying books or dvds. My school offers a class, but its full right now and i'm a full time student. I'd have to get authorized to take that extra unit.

I just kind of want to know who you guys go through for at-home yoga. Youtube will probably be my main source of yoga instruction. I'd say I'm at the latter half of beginner going into intermediate, but going to start at beginner again. I got three inches closer to my toes last time!
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Oh, obviously.

I used a book, and my friend who's a fitness instructor and familiar with my body's limitations. She helped keep me from overdoing it with some of the poses.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

too vague?

I dont know what i'm worried about. I jack 130lbs up on my shoulders, but it would be something like yoga to injure me. I just like reliable sources that know their stuff. My last yoga experience was in 2005

Comment

I've got the P90X program, and yoga is a part of it. When I did it I probably looked like I was having a stroke.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

When I was working at Time Warner Cable, I got this awesome exercise channel that had entire yoga series on it. I don't know if it still exists, or if any other tv service has them, but you might look into it.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            When I was working at Time Warner Cable, I got this awesome exercise channel that had entire yoga series on it. I don't know if it still exists, or if any other tv service has them, but you might look into it.
            I dont own a tv :\ i wonder if its on Youtube, you remember the name?

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
              I dont own a tv :\ i wonder if its on Youtube, you remember the name?
              The one I see on the TV once and while is Namesta Yoga. Or something close to that.
              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

It was simply "The Exercise Channel" and had series of stuff in categories. I am not sure about the names of stuff. But You Tube might have some stuff. Heck, Hulu might, too, I dunno.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                  but it would be something like yoga to injure me. I just like reliable sources that know their stuff.
                  they do have a "yoga for dummies" book that I used to use.....not that bad really...
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                    The one I see on the TV once and while is Namesta Yoga. Or something close to that.
                    Namaste, probably.

I would go for video over books if you're worried about hurting yourself, because you can see the proper form through the whole movement. Can't get that with still pics. Also, full length mirror.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post

this video is pretty good
                      , dont know if it is on youtube or not
                      but i liked it

decent music, easy to follow without feeling like you are gonna die, speech isnt overly annoying and i remember namesta from that

you can also look up nude yoga but that can be a bit... ummm... yeah wasnt my thing and it takes a lot for me to say that

Comment

Whats a good routine? how long should it be? Theres like a million youtubes. :|

Comment

I would say 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your stamina. If you get too tired, then your poses will get wobbly and that's when you can get hurt.

I am a huge advocate of going to a yoga instructor, especially as a beginner. You need to make sure that you won't hurt yourself, and most instructors will show you how to modify poses according to your abilities. And I mean a certified instructor, not someone at the student rec center. My friend's chiropractor said he's had many patients seriously screw up their joints doing yoga at the student rec center, because the instructor wasn't watching them properly or teaching correct technique.

I do have a couple of DVD's - my favorite ones are with Elena Brower. Once I lose the gut, I'll probably try to find a studio in town.
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

yoga instructors around here are crazy expensive. I think its like 500$ for 2x a week for six months.

Comment

I think Hulu might have some yoga on it.
                              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                              X