This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot wing question for the cooks here.

I've got a large package of chicken legs (yea, not really wings, but. . .) and a bottle of Franks Red Hot. I want to make hot-legs. I'm going to grill them on the BBQ and then baste them in the sauce. Should be yummy!

My question is, how do I adjust the heat level of the Franks sauce? I know you add butter, but how much? I could find nothing at their site, except for recipes which didn't tell me nothin...

Most of the time, when I get wings, I get "medium" which of course can vary from place to place, but generally that is the limit of my heat tolerance.

Any suggestions?

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

I just add butter and taste until I like the flavor
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

This is the sauce recipe from Pat and Gina Neely's show on Food Network. I made it once and it was pretty good. You could add more butter/sugar or less hot sauce to adjust the heat if you'd like.

4 tablespoons salted butter
      1 clove minced garlic
      1/2 cup hot sauce (recommend: Texas Pete's)
      2 tablespoons brown sugar
      1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
      1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat or in microwave. Mix all other ingredients with butter, then toss in cooked wings to coat.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        I just add butter and taste until I like the flavor
        Actually, that sounds like the best idea.

The recipe sounds good Maggie, but I really want to do this with the least amount of fuss. That's why I picked up Franks. It's all ready to go, and it's a known flavor, since most of the wing joints use it as their base.

Eric the Grey

Comment

I agree that you should add butter to taste. And while you don't want a lot of fuss, you might want to look up some wing sauce recipes online, and steal some of the ingredient ideas you like. Frank's is good, but it can be made better.

One other thing you might want to try if Frank's is too hot for you (wuss!) is what my bar does for their mild sauce: we merely combine our hot sauce with our barbecue sauce for a nice blend. It cuts the heat of the hot sauce and the sweetness of the barbecue. Talk about no fuss!

And while basting them is not a bad idea, whether you baste them or not, TOSS them in some sauce after they are done cooking. THAT'S the way it should be done!!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            One other thing you might want to try if Frank's is too hot for you (wuss!) is what my bar does for their mild sauce: we merely combine our hot sauce with our barbecue sauce for a nice blend. It cuts the heat of the hot sauce and the sweetness of the barbecue. Talk about no fuss!

And while basting them is not a bad idea, whether you baste them or not, TOSS them in some sauce after they are done cooking. THAT'S the way it should be done!!!!
            Well, you're right. As my wife would say, I am wuss, hear me roar <squeak!>

Anyway, you're probably right. Unforutnately, I don't think I had enough to toss, but probably could have. I basted them after they were nicely browned and cooked over a low heat to let them bake just a bit. They came out pretty good, although even I could have stood for the sauce to have been a little hotter. If they had been tossed in the sauce, they probably would have been.

I'll experiment again later on. This was my first try.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Wing stop makes their own sauce that I like pretty okay if I'm not feeling picky

also, TOSSING IS REQUIRED. You can't not toss, okay? Its not right.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Add this, and it will adjust the heat.

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/bl6amrepeexe.html

OOPS, you wanted it down. I don't know what to say, I usually go up. Maybe dilute it with water.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                X