• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct and improper appellations

Hi all.

I need some language-related advice.

***NOTE: POSSIBLE RACIALLY OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE FOLLOWS***

...yes, this is the point.
    I realise more and more that certain terms to indicate ethnicity that might be considered acceptable in British English have a negative connotation in North America.
    The point is, I am writing a story that features some US and Canadian characters, and I need some advice on some ethnicity-related terms that they may or may not use. As this is the only place I frequent where several North Americans post, I thought of asking for some advice.
    Sorry if the topic offends anyone, I guarantee that it is only for a precise reason and I will NOT be abusing anybody because of their ethnic background.

1) is "colo(u)red" a proper term for a person of African descent? I can not use "African-American" as the character is NOT American, and I don't intend to use his country of birth as his appellation. It is important that the ethnicity of this character is mentioned, as it becomes relevant in the story. Especially: would a person, in a polite and professional conversation, refer to another as "colo(u)red"? An example would be this: two or three executives of a company are discussing which of a certain number of candidates to hire. There have been several candidates, only one of which is of African descent. Would someone, to identify him to another executive who can not recall his name, mention him as "the colo(u)red one"? If not, and being "African-American" not an option, which term can be used?

2) would a Jewish person refer to themselves as "a Jew"? I need this character to reiterate his religious beliefs, is there any other term he could use?

3) I apologise again if I ask, but I'd need an offensive term to refer to an East Asian (Chinese/Japanese, the person involved can not and doesn't want to tell the difference). I realised I can't think of any except for "Chink", which I think is probably unpleasant but relatively mild.

Sorry if the topic bothers someone, and thanks.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

I am American, so this may not apply to Canada.

1. Colored is considered an old-fashioned term and might be offensive to some. "Black" is much more commonly used. African-American (or wherever they live) is politically correct and I would say is not as common as 'black'.

2. I see nothing wrong with Jew.

3. If you don't know the person's country of origin I would just say Asian. Chink is pretty offensive, I think.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Colored is something I would advise from staying away from in terms of describing African Americans. It has a negative connotation from the Jim Crow days. There's Chink, Gook, Jap for the Asians and those are all offensive. As for Jew...not sure. I'm not Jewish....but a non-practicing Catholic.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        I am American, so this may not apply to Canada.
        Fair enough, thank you
        1. Colored is considered an old-fashioned term and might be offensive to some. "Black" is much more commonly used. African-American (or wherever they live) is politically correct and I would say is not as common as 'black'.
        So, "black" is an acceptable ethnic description? OK, thanks.
        2. I see nothing wrong with Jew.
        Great, thank you.
        3. If you don't know the person's country of origin I would just say Asian. Chink is pretty offensive, I think.
        Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was actually looking for an OFFENSIVE term. Again, not for my personal pleasure of insulting Asians, but because an obnoxious character I am writing about will be interacting with an Asian person (actually Chinese, but the nasty character ignores this) and insults her - causing the plot to proceed by causing anger and complaint and more issues.
        Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        Colored is something I would advise from staying away from in terms of describing African Americans. It has a negative connotation from the Jim Crow days.
        I see. I understand that it is considered perfectly acceptable in British English, but I needed some feedback from across the Atlantic. Thank you.
        There's Chink, Gook, Jap for the Asians and those are all offensive.
        Thanks, I think I'll pick one. And then try to bleach them out of my brain.
        As for Jew...not sure. I'm not Jewish....but a non-practicing Catholic.
        ...as I am, that's why I asked
        Thanks a bunch.
        Last edited by C. Cecil Ivanish; 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM.
        FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
          Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was actually looking for an OFFENSIVE term. Again, not for my personal pleasure of insulting Asians, but because an obnoxious character I am writing about will be interacting with an Asian person (actually Chinese, but the nasty character ignores this) and insults her - causing the plot to proceed by causing anger and complaint and more issues.
          Ah, okay. (And this come from an asian comedian, Margaret Cho to be specific, just so no one thinks I use these terms personally)

Chinese - Chink
          Korean - Gook

And here's a full list.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Don't forget Tojo for the Japanese, though today most people won't get the reference.

'Yellow' is also an offensive term for Asians. You can also refer to their 'slanty eyes'.

God, why do I know so many offensive terms?
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

1) here in Canada "coloured" is out of use and somewhat offensive. "the Dark skinned gentleman" can be used politely. or Afro-descendant. or if county of origin )tribe in some cases) simply as being "South African" etc.

2) Jewish descendants may refer to themselves as "Jews" commonly. or formally as Children of Abraham (Ibrahim)

3) Rude for oriental. nip, jap, chink, coolie, dragon boys(used for west coast gangsters of oriental origin) yellow B******s. a couple others that are really out of date.

damn I know the weirdest things, and I'm ashamed of my knowledge of things racist.
              Last edited by TheMike; 09-08-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
              It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

I'm not an expert on what is and isn't considered sensitive, but I believe that "Jewish" is more common to describe someone. I picked this up from Google - for a while if you searched anything with "Jew" in the search there was a warning about offensive sites, they hadn't caught them all, Jew was often used as a pejorative.

Comment

Canada (well, Southern Ontario) perspective: One of the nice things about living in the Toronto area... if you want to be a bigot there is so much choice to be had! :P People of every colour from every part of the world, and for the most part we all get along. My (white as white can be) kid's best friends at highschool are a brown kid and black a black kid.

In any case.....

If your really want to be offensive for black people, the N-word will do the trick nicely.

For Asians, ANY of the ones listed by others will work for any asian... after all, if you are going to be an ignorant SOB, would you really care if you got the person's ethnicity correct?

Don't forget East Indians as well and Pakistanis ... calling an East Indian a Paki is offensive for sure (not sure if "Paki" is actually offensive to Pakistanis... I've never really heard it used in a non-derogatory way, so I avoid using it at all)

An offensive word for Jews is Hymie.

<Looks around at coworkers to see if anyone has been missed....>
                  --Italians
                  --Portugese
                  --Croatians
                  --Polish
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Don't forget East Indians as well and Pakistanis ... calling an East Indian a Paki is offensive for sure (not sure if "Paki" is actually offensive to Pakistanis... I've never really heard it used in a non-derogatory way, so I avoid using it at all)
                    Paki is quite offensive most of the time Pakistani is correct, and yes calling an EastIndian one is bad due to the fight over Kashmir.
                    It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                      --Polish
                      Pollack (or Polack spelling depending on where you are located at but pronounced Pole-Lock) for Polish but I dunno if it's derogatory or not since that's the nickname Dad tends to go by.

I'm also of German descent but I haven't been insulted to my face for it or called anything.

Conks and Florida-Cracker are (many many MANY generations) natives of Florida but I haven't run into any other than Mom.
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

The Site Rules clearly state that there is to be NO offensive or controversial material posted on CS. This one belongs in Fratching.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                        X