Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a fan of old Louse, huh?

Before I watched The Imitation Game, all I knew about Alan Turing was that he was gay, killed himself, broke the Enigma code (not in that order) and more or less invented computers. After watching this movie, that's still all I know about him. It felt like a vague character sketch. Guess I better find the biography it's based on because I do want to know about him now.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Urg, talking to someone who still lives in my hometown, and they tried to say that the harbor would be safe after an earthquake. I said, maybe from a normal tsunami, but it could still experience a seiche aka "bathtub effect." Plus, Native American stories tell of bays which drained, then overflowed. Canoes were found up in trees. After all people have seen, why do they look at me like I'm a conspiracy theorist when I say this? It's this weird "we're safe here!" mentality because we don't get some of the other natural phenomenon, like hurricanes. Probably the waves wouldn't get crazy high, but lots of people live directly on the water and should know about this. /rant
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        ... the harbor would be safe after an earthquake...
        How you fixed for scuba shoes, dearie?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• The CEO of our company, who many have never met (I've never seen the guy, don't know what he looks like) has apparently decided, because reasons, to dress like a banana for us at some time or another in the near future.

I think it's because we all did some kind of training...but still.

Go ahead...ask me how many f**ks I have to give about it...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• I'm trying really hard to believe that the Island of Sodor is home to some seriously advanced AI technology, because the alternative is that they remove people's brains, erase their memories and personality and trap them inside trains.

Comment

• Going through some old emails, I found one from last year that I sent to my work email as a reminder. It read:

NEED TO BUY: Creatures, Guinness, birthday card.

When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• Husband: "Do you want to see this Michael Fassbender movie with-"

Me: "Yes."

Husband: "Do you know what movie it is?"

Me: "No, and I don't care."

Comment

• It rained yesterday, then froze overnight, then snowed a few inches on top of that ice, then half melted, and now has all frozen together. The roads are a combination of ice-skating rink and frozen slush ruts.

So obviously people are driving even faster than when the roads are bare and dry. I live on a corner of a street that doesn't get plowed, which means conditions are not ideal. All I've been hearing of hours has been the spinning of tires as people hit the gas and fishtail for so long I wonder if they even realize what's happening.

Comment

• I'm making a couple of gallons of Angel Farts for the grandkids for Christmas...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Urg, talking to someone who still lives in my hometown, and they tried to say that the harbor would be safe after an earthquake. I said, maybe from a normal tsunami, but it could still experience a seiche aka "bathtub effect." Plus, Native American stories tell of bays which drained, then overflowed. Canoes were found up in trees. After all people have seen, why do they look at me like I'm a conspiracy theorist when I say this? It's this weird "we're safe here!" mentality because we don't get some of the other natural phenomenon, like hurricanes. Probably the waves wouldn't get crazy high, but lots of people live directly on the water and should know about this. /rant
                      Ah yes, the "duck and cover" effect. As though hiding under a school desk would save you from a nuclear blast.*

Yes, I'm showing my age by remembering this practice from the 1950s.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Went to see Assassin's Creed. As soon I saw Michael Fassbender was one of the producers, it all became clear. He must be a big video game nerd and was playing Assassin's Creed and thought, 'This would be so cool as a movie!' and then he realized 'WAIT I AM RICH AND FAMOUS I CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN'

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                          Went to see Assassin's Creed. As soon I saw Michael Fassbender was one of the producers, it all became clear. He must be a big video game nerd and was playing Assassin's Creed and thought, 'This would be so cool as a movie!' and then he realized 'WAIT I AM RICH AND FAMOUS I CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN'
                          Am I the only one who would have liked to see a continuation to Altair's story?
                          ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

• My sister just yelled from the other room: "I can't get this naked man off my computer!"
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• The dreadful irony of seeing Rogue One on the very day Carrie Fisher dies.

Comment

• The light in the kitchen burned out and I had to replace it with a "warm" white bulb... I hate yellow light in the kitchen, it just feels dirty. Now I have to make a trip to get a "cool" white bulb because I apparently have OCD about light color.

Comment

Working...
                                X