Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    Ghost in the Shell. I am going to see it, and I will hate it, and I will hate myself for seeing it, and I know all this and will see it anyway because I am a huge Ghost in the Shell fan. Which is also why I will hate it.
    I have Ghost in the Shell 2.0 on my to be watched list.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Battery went out on my car this morning. I should have realized, since there were a few signs that not all was well in the electrical system... Fortunately, I was able to borrow the wife's car while she is out of town on vacation.

So guess what I'll be doing later tonight or tomorrow morning?
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

So guess what I'll be doing later tonight or tomorrow morning?

Sounds like fun I had to go microwave shopping.

Comment

• Haha. Watching a movie, a guy looks at a homeless guy and says to a little girl "study in school or you'll end up like him." And the little girl says "my mom says that anyone who tells me that is a bad person."
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Ha, I just watched the first part of that same movie. Then he tells her that her mom must have flunked out of school.

It usually takes me 3-4 days to watch an entire movie so I still have 45 minutes to go, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• No comment due to possible spoiler. I just thought it was a great comeback. I had to watch because of Gong Yoo.

Comment

• I'll put this here, for lack of a better place, and I felt it didn't need it's own thread--

I've been playing "Typoman Revised" on Xbox recently. I like the design that went into the game and enjoy the puzzle aspects (the platforming, not so much sometimes) of crafting words by moving around letters with the player-character HERO. Various words will have certain effects. (Crafting the word LIFT while on a platform will make it rise up, placing a P next to a poison GAS machine will let you GASP in clean air, etc.)

There is a function in the game based around a creature called a LIE. When a LIE comes close to a word, it will absorb it and swap it for its opposite. (EVIL becomes GOOD, OFF becomes ON, etc.)

In the game's Antonymizer mini-game, you have to craft a given word, using a limited bank of letters. Often, you have to craft words from those letters, drop a LIE on them, and get the opposite so you can cannibalize it for certain missing letters.

I've been having fun just seeing how many words are recognized by the game (every time you craft a word for the first time, the game pops up a small "Word found" notice) and then seeing if the LIE will work on them. And sometimes, the result of the LIE is unexpected. AIM swaps to OVERSIGHT, for instance. BE swaps to VANISH.

I was experimenting and crafted ORAL. I expected it would swap to WRITTEN or something.

No. No, it didn't.

ORAL swapped to become ANAL instead, much to my surprise.

So this was literally a case of "surprise, buttsex."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• From a ghost movie:

Real estate agent: "Houses like this don't come up very often!"
                  DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! IT'S A TRAP!! DON'T BUY THIS HOUSE!!!

Cop: "We'll keep this quiet so there's no media circus."
                  Um, yeah, let's just ignore all the neighbours who've seen your cops hauling that black bodybag out of the house ...

Aaaand ... the ghost is supposed to be that of a young German girl who came to the U.S. to marry somebody and was dead within probably a year of her arrival. So how come her ghost speaks totally accentless English?

There've been spooky movies that have genuinely scared me. But most of 'em make me want to join that site "Everything Wrong with ________ in 15 Minutes or Less."
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I'm really getting cheesed off with the local three-letter-drugstore. Attempt #3 to pick a prescription that was called in on Friday, and...fail.

I don't HAVE any other health insurance. I must have been through this on the phone with various entities three times, and I have no idea what the actual problem is other than everything is fine on my plan's end. If I knew what 'other coverage' this was, we could get farther (was it from my old job in which case coverage ended when I quit but they don't cover this type of meds anyway?). Pharmacy can't tell me, my insurance can't tell me because they don't have evidence of another plan on my file. So what am I supposed to do to actually figure this out? (besides call yet another number that the pharmacy gave me that I know I've called before...too late to do it today anyway)

Good thing this scrip isn't a really critical thing...maybe I will get it transferred back to my clinic where my insurance works.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• What makes them think you've got "other coverage" if they can't seem to identify the coverage in question?
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Sometime late last year, my main insurance carrier merged with another one and changed names (although I was not made aware this would result in any problems, my card has the exact same basic subscriber/plan information).

Going by my last few conversations with an agent, we think that Caremark (I'm not entirely sure how they're involved in this besides being affiliated with ThreeLetter Pharmacy) never updated their systems to reflect the merger, and so had my information under the old plan...but I don't understand what's prompting the rejection message as my plan info has not changed. The phone number the pharmacist gave me is the one I called earlier today and got confirmation that everything was fine. I is soooo confused
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Saw a ridiculous comment online about 'tall privilege'. I'm not tall but my kid is. What is this tall privilege? The privilege of never having pants that fit? Of never finding a couch you can lie down on? Of being uncomfortable in airplanes? Of walking around with your shoulders hunched all the time so you don't stick out so much?

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            Saw a ridiculous comment online about 'tall privilege'. I'm not tall but my kid is. What is this tall privilege? The privilege of never having pants that fit? Of never finding a couch you can lie down on? Of being uncomfortable in airplanes? Of walking around with your shoulders hunched all the time so you don't stick out so much?
                            Either tall means something different to them, or they think being tall equates to being considered more attractive. I'm 5'2-3" (not exactly sure) and it's always been hard to find pants that aren't too long for me because "average" in US sizes means at least 5'7" - which to me is tall. And models of course tend to be tall (and thin).

There's too damn much emphasis these days on what constitutes "privilege". Suddenly everything is a sign of privilege. WTF?
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• I don't try to match my characters to celebrities but the other day I realized the main male character of my new novel is described as looking just like Sami Zayn.

Comment

• That awkward conversation where everyone starts talking about a tv show, and it happens to be one that I hate with a passion, so I'm trying to be quiet, and I'm just standing there wanting to scream "this is terrible show with no redeeming qualities!" But there's no point saying anything and so I don't. Although it's the grown up choice, I still feel like a grump about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X