No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just spent $40 replacing my car's rear view mirror because my toddler managed to yank it off. The mechanic said he'd never seen one broken in the unique way it was broken, and that was not ever supposed to happen.

So proud.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Kids are masters of disproving that "not supposed to happen" thing, aren't they?

So are we...mom lost her phone last week, and the only theory we have is that she somehow left it on the car roof and it slipped down into the roof (under the headliner) via the open sunroof. And her streaming BBC earlier that morning caused the ringer to be shut off so we didn't hear it when she called it in the car. Or something. That's the only thing we can come up with. Of course she canceled service just before I found software that could locate it...
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Watching "Wolf Hall" and everyone is all upset Henry doesn't have a son to succeed him. Any of those guys who lived long enough probably ended up wondering why they ever thought they needed a man to rule in the first place.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          Watching "Wolf Hall" and everyone is all upset Henry doesn't have a son to succeed him. Any of those guys who lived long enough probably ended up wondering why they ever thought they needed a man to rule in the first place.
          Yep. But ingrained beliefs are generally solidified in reinforced concrete, and good luck in budging them.

One of the arguments against a reigning queen was that, a couple of centuries earlier, there had been another reigning queen -- I can't remember her name offhand -- and the attitude was that she had been such a disaster that she proved that women couldn't rule. Funny how that didn't apply to men, despite the number of inept kings they had ...

The other argument was that of course a queen would marry, and that opened up numerous cans of worms. If she married a subject, there was the threat of civil war by opponents of her husband's family; if she married a foreign prince, that raised the spectre of annexation by the husband's country and/or being dragged into his country's wars. Mary Tudor's marriage to Philip of Spain didn't do much to make people feel better about this. And if the queen never married, thus not providing an heir, there we are, back at civil war again.

I've read a number of books on Elizabeth I, and certainly at the start of her rule, her male councillors still felt that she needed "guidance" (translation: "We will govern on your behalf; you just concentrate on making a good marriage.") I'm not sure how many of them really changed their minds about female rulers, despite her long and basically successful rule, although I'm sure a few did.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• why isn't "prettyful" a word? If "beautiful", why not "prettyful"?
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
              why isn't "prettyful" a word?...
              It's part of the compound word, "prettyfullofit".
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I just spent $40 replacing my car's rear view mirror because my toddler managed to yank it off. The mechanic said he'd never seen one broken in the unique way it was broken, and that was not ever supposed to happen.

So proud.
                Has your toddler been watching the Gumball Rally?
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Well, now we know why the driver's side headliner around the visor was leaking in Tuesday's rainstorm...the weather stripping around the roof on both sides of the car is just GONE. You'd have to really work at it to get the stuff out of its track, she noticed it was missing some time after going through the car wash but those gizmos wouldn't do that...would it? No damage to the paint or any evidence someone had taken it out by hand (who would and why?)

First her phone, then my insurance claiming I never told them about my new job, now this. What deity did we piss off this week and what do we have to do to fix it?

Comment

• Guy on parenting board is super proud that his 19-month-old daughter is READING. She can pick up all her favorite books and read them word for word, perfectly.

Um, hate to tell you this man, but....

Comment

....read them word for word, perfectly.

Um, hate to tell you this man, but....
                      Your daughter is an African Grey.

Comment

• My new favorite (fake) band name is...

T̈ḧë Üm̈l̈äüẗ Äb̈üs̈ër̈s̈ (The Umlaut Abusers).
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• I WAS EATING A POP TART AND BUDDY CAME UP AND JUST TOOK A BITE OUT OF THE OTHER END AS I WAS EATING IT HOW SHARPER THAN A SERPENT'S TOOTH IT IS TO HAVE A THANKLESS CAT

Comment

• Sometimes I think Blackberry is too secure. Mom got her new Priv a few days ago, got it activated and all was well...she was playing around and managed to enable Picture Password lock (which shouldn't be available until you set up a backup password/PIN which she did not so how did that happen?). Grid of numbers over a picture, you're supposed to drag the number you chose to a specific spot on the picture. The system wants it precisely (apparently down to the pixel) where you dragged it when you set it up. For additional fun, the phone was set to default wipe after 10 wrong attempts...the only way to disable that was to unlock the phone.

Somehow, she got it on the last try and I was able to disable the wipe feature....but not the picture lock as disabling the lock requires re-entering the password and the "Please confirm password" bar across the very top of the image confuses her by blocking out some of the image (probably including the section where the number needs to be to unlock)

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                              My new favorite (fake) band name is...

I love it!

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                              I WAS EATING A POP TART AND BUDDY CAME UP AND JUST TOOK A BITE OUT OF THE OTHER END AS I WAS EATING IT HOW SHARPER THAN A SERPENT'S TOOTH IT IS TO HAVE A THANKLESS CAT
                              Cat: "Iz MY Pop-Tart!"
                              I hear ya. I've got a cat who wants whatever I've got ... including my herbal teas!

--------

Meanwhile I'm sitting here watching a YouTube series about unsolved murders, unsolved kidnappings, unsolved stalkings ... I think I'll just spend the night in the closet ...
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                                My new favorite (fake) band name is...

Singing that famous hit, "P̈äp̈ä-Ööm̈-M̈öẅ-M̈öẅ"

Comment

Working...
                                X