No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is possible for a belief (or opinion or behavior) to be simultaneously perfectly correct and totally full of shit.
    Last edited by dalesys; 06-11-2017, 07:23 PM.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      How come if you can get fruit and nut chocolate and whole nut chocolate,you can't get whole fruit chocolate-just chocolate with raisins and sultanas in?
      And make it out of REAL dark chocolate (not the stuff a lot of companies are using now, that contains milk ingredients) to cover vegans and people with dairy allergies.

Quoth csquared View Post
      ANd you need to be careful, as they are probably made in the same plant.
      AFAIK, the standard nuts (almonds and peanuts) used in chocolate come from different plants than the fruit used in chocolate.

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      The other argument was that of course a queen would marry, and that opened up numerous cans of worms. If she married a subject, there was the threat of civil war by opponents of her husband's family; if she married a foreign prince, that raised the spectre of annexation by the husband's country and/or being dragged into his country's wars. Mary Tudor's marriage to Philip of Spain didn't do much to make people feel better about this. And if the queen never married, thus not providing an heir, there we are, back at civil war again.
      Too bad society back then didn't accept unwed mothers. If the queen didn't marry, and had multiple lovers, paternity couldn't be proven so nobody would have a claim to the country based on being the father of the heir to the throne. Since it could easily be proven that the queen was the mother, the kids' claim to the throne should be secure.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• 20,000 words down on my stalled novel and I realize I have to go back and start over. I won't trash everything, but it needs to be reshaped from the beginning. Pray for me, I'm going in.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Use the Herakles method of stall-cleaning, and let the river run...

Comment

• Quoth wolfie View Post
            Too bad society back then didn't accept unwed mothers. If the queen didn't marry, and had multiple lovers, paternity couldn't be proven so nobody would have a claim to the country based on being the father of the heir to the throne. Since it could easily be proven that the queen was the mother, the kids' claim to the throne should be secure.
            I think I read a fanfic that did that, once. The person involved managed to successfully petition the government that hereditary lines should run through the matriarchal line rather than the patriarchal line as the mother could always be proven. This allowed the character to then petition for polygamous marriages to be legal as there was no longer any need to prove paternity for inheritance purposes; subsequently she could then marry her two lovers legally. Very Machiavellian.

Mental note: stop posting when sleep deprived and hopped up on sugar. You start dragging out the £20 words.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth wolfie View Post
              A

Ah, but that would "pollute" the purity of the royal bloodline, you see ...

---------------

On a totally unrelated topic, I'm sitting here watching a docudrama about the 1883 explosion of Krakatoa, and I'm at the point in the docudrama where two lunatic Dutch scientists are trudging up the slopes of the volcano -- which has already had several preliminary blowouts, preceding The Big One -- because they want to get a look down into the crater.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                On a totally unrelated topic, I'm sitting here watching a docudrama about the 1883 explosion of Krakatoa, and I'm at the point in the docudrama where two lunatic Dutch scientists are trudging up the slopes of the volcano -- which has already had several preliminary blowouts, preceding The Big One -- because they want to get a look down into the crater.
                My parents lived in Vancouver WA when Mt St Helens erupted... Because people are Super Smart, they made maps of the road blocks to the red zone and how to get around them. It was like a game, shops were selling these maps and everything. I'm not even sure I've seen this on a documentary, but my parents have always told me how stupid they thought it was. So at least those were scientists, going up to Krakatoa... These people were just dorks who wanted a bit of excitement, and to go camping.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

That worked out really well for the Hapsburgs, didn't it? (And ask Tsarevitch Nikolya about his "pure bloodlines". Might have helped if he could keep the blood inside of his body.)
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Not necessarily, if the lovers are properly chosen. Way back when, royal families had "house laws" governing who would be an eligible spouse for a dynastic marriage (one where the children remained in the line of succession). In extreme cases, not only the children would be ineligible to inherit the throne, but whoever married the wrong person would be ineligible. Eligibility requirements were typically about the person's class. Most royal families allowed marriage to both royals (presumably from another country) and nobles, but some (e.g. Russia) only allowed marriage to royals. Of course, marriage to commoners was strictly out.

If a queen were to choose only lovers who were eligible under their family's "house laws", purity of the royal bloodline would be maintained.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• This is still an issue today in Japan. Japan's Princess Mako is giving up her royal status -- all in the name of love.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• As luck would have it,I was reading an interesting article on royal incest in my National Geographic.Apparently that was at least partly responsible for Tutankhamun having problems with cleft palate and club foot...

In other news,it seems there is a whole troop of people wanting nothing more than to get splattered judging by the way they race across the road in front of the very large black and green coach coming towards them and the big red man up on the lights. They may be smeared across the pavement,but their body parts will have arrived there 5 seconds earlier....
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Is it a good sign or a bad sign that I now have a document saved titled "Resume shit" ?
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                            As luck would have it,I was reading an interesting article on royal incest in my National Geographic.Apparently that was at least partly responsible for Tutankhamun having problems with cleft palate and club foot...
                            The Egyptian pharaohs of that period weren't just marrying closer or more distant cousins--often they had siblings marrying each other!!

Eurgh.....
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              ...often they had siblings marrying each other!!...
                              Puppy mills & Hapsburgs: The problem isn't as much the inbreeding, as the refusal to cull.
                              Last edited by dalesys; 06-16-2017, 02:34 AM. Reason: grammarye

Comment

• You gotta give points to a songwriter who manages to work the word "synesthesia" into a song.
                                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X