Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    A gift card to Borders or B&N would have been easy, appreciated, and just as personal as random books. I don't get the "gift cards aren't personal enough" idea when applied to acquaintances.
    I have finally converted my mum to the idea that gift vouchers aren't a boring gift. They're a promise that, when you're having a tight couple of months financially, you can go out and treat yourself to something to cheer yourself up. She now happily asks for vouchers for her favourite clothes shop, Amazon, and Google Play (she plays a lot of games on her tablet when she's on dialysis, and she likes to be able to buy "extras" to help her get past tricky levels).
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
      she likes to be able to buy "extras" to help her get past tricky levels
      I like figuring out how to beat the tricky levels without spending money. It might take a while, but eventually I will. (Or else I give up, but whatever. )
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

• Quoth Deserted View Post
        I like figuring out how to beat the tricky levels without spending money.
        When you're having your entire blood supply pumped out of your body, stripped of excess fluid and poisonous build-up, then pumped back in with a few medications and vitamins added you tend not to have that much patience. Or ability to concentrate, to be fair, since it can get quite hectic in there if someone crashes/passes out/she's stuck next to a certain couple of patients who deliberately make various disgusting hacking/retching noises just to wind up everyone around them (yes, they do it deliberately, they both shut up for a while if they're threatened with being transferred to the city hospital approx. 45 minutes away where they have private rooms with doors that shut).
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Twitter hashtag game where you post lines from your work in progress according to a given theme. This week's theme is 'joy'. I do a word search on my new novel.

My book is completely joyless.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• It's been my experience that to you your things are stuff but to other folks it's shit.
            I hear about a lot of my shit getting in my wife's way when my stuff is in my areas where as her stuff is perfectly fine to occupy any space and especially so if it's in the way of traffic.
            What I want to know is why some women feel the need to cover every vertical inch of wall and every horizontal surface with a picture or knick-knack?
            I could haul off a 20-yard dumpster of such stuff from our house and not even put a dent in the "collection."
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

• Consider a double-sided bookshelf with casters underneath; you can pull it away from the wall if you have to...

Comment

• It's stupid that our building's laundry machines will only take debit cards. My bank will flag transactions under a certain amount--especially multiples within a given time frame--and with what we pay in rent you'd think they could at least provide us with a few loads worth per month. According to my experiments, even though the machines take Visa/MC, the aforementioned prepaid cards don't work (which is also stupid). Providing at least some laundry would be THE selling point for an apartment building.
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-29-2018, 05:05 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• So if I'm writing fantasy version of the Roman invasion of Britain it totally counts as research to watch Centurion with Michael Fassbender, right? #amwriting

Comment

• What is it with people saying "Thank you" as they barge into/through me? If you're thanking me for getting in your way, I will only do it more (especially if I'm holding something particularly messy).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.

Mine is against the operatives of the Illuminati shadow government.

You know nothing about it because I don't want you involved. If they know you know about them, you'll be in danger too,

Comment

• I'm terrified. I was visiting my 91-year-old father at the rest home and one of the bulletin board events for next Thursday was "Rolling Stones tunes recognition."
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• How in the name of all the gods can you have a reasonable conversation with someone whose position is “But that never happened!” when the event in question happened over 2000 years ago and has many conflicting, contemporary reports, AND in addition, the conversation is about NOT the event itself but the way it’s been written into a freaking PLAY?
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            How in the name of all the gods can you have a reasonable conversation with someone whose position is “But that never happened!” when the event in question happened over 2000 years ago and has many conflicting, contemporary reports, AND in addition, the conversation is about NOT the event itself but the way it’s been written into a freaking PLAY?
                            Mrs. IA is watching that play right now.

We have a friend who denies an event that happened 49 years ago, the moon landing. She has been warned by Mrs. IA not to mention it to me since I was part of that event. That is a conversation that has not happened.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              We have a friend who denies an event that happened 49 years ago, the moon landing. She has been warned by Mrs. IA not to mention it to me since I was part of that event. That is a conversation that has not happened.
                              I love the deniers. "1960's technology couldn't have made it to the moon!" Oh, really? Were you there? Do you even know anything about 1960's tech, or are you just spewing what other deniers have said? (For me the answers are "I wasn't even born yet", "not much", and "I'm not a denier so whatever." )
                              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                                Mrs. IA is watching that play right now.

Well, the thing in question was whether Herod was still alive and/or still king when Jesus was crucified. I googled him and it says he reigned for 37 years, and Jesus was supposedly around 33 when he died, so do the math. But since the bible only seemed to mention Pilate as present for the event, and not Herod, the conversation essentially became "This doesn't make sense because reasons."

Keep in mind (1) It's a play aka fiction, (2) none of us were there, (3) conflicting contemporary accounts by people long dead, and (4) we are pagan so what difference does it make??

BTW Alice Cooper did a great job as Herod
                                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X