Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Ceir View Post
    I thought about how many of the CSI/NCIS/L&O style police dramas are on all the rerun TV channels these days, and I was reminded of a funny. Maybe this one's been done in one show or another, but I always wanted to see an episode where what appears to have happened was really what happened, the obvious suspect did in fact do it, and the cast is tying themselves into knots trying to prove otherwise because (by genre rules) it's never that easy.
    That has happened in real life. Back during WW2 a lot of soldiers would write "Kilroy was here" on everything. A young lady in England was murdered, and the message "Kilroy was here" was at the murder scene. The police started looking for a soldier that might have done the deed. In the end they found the murderer was a local man named Kilroy. He wondered why it took them so long to find him.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• So I twisted my ankle at work today, didn't really hurt until I got into the car and drove home. Meh, just another sore spot.

In other news, I'm about to throw my phone across the room. Shouldn't have to keep proof reading posts every five words because it makes up random words.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• If I'm reading one article on a newspaper site linked from someplace else, I shouldn't need to subscribe. While a few sites can let me get away with disabling my adblocker, most actually want me to pony up for a sub--no more free trials. Even private browsing mode doesn't work.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          If I'm reading one article on a newspaper site linked from someplace else, I shouldn't need to subscribe. While a few sites can let me get away with disabling my adblocker, most actually want me to pony up for a sub--no more free trials. Even private browsing mode doesn't work.
          It is a universal truth: Greed abounds.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• And then there's Zulily. "No, you can't SEE our website until you sign up for our emails without knowing if there's even anything here you want."
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              It is a universal truth: Greed abounds.
              Now even the weather channel site won't let you adblock
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• Me: I'm going to make lunch.
                Kids: -silent-
                Me: I'm cleaning up the living room.
                Kids: -silent-
                Me: I'm going to listen to a webinar about writing effective book descriptions.
                Kids: Mom mom mom mom mom mom mom mom mom
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  Me: I'm going to listen to a webinar about writing effective book descriptions.
                  Just do like Marge...

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Aw, I just looked at the thread details and saw Mytical's name as the thread starter. Miss him.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
                      And then there's Zulily. "No, you can't SEE our website until you sign up for our emails without knowing if there's even anything here you want."
                      I don't mind the subscription requests (requirements?) for news sites so much (I used to be a journalist, after all, and we did have to get paid ) but the retail sites demanding my email before I can even browse? No thanks. You've just assured me you've got nothing I want.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Speaking of the rerun channels on TV, found one showing Outer Limits, and I've not seen that show in years. Watched a few, and noticed a couple things:

One, I read something online recently (heck if I can find it again) that I agree with - I enjoy the episodes that basically end with "well, that happened. Freaking weird, huh?" over ones that try to drop a moral.

Two, no idea when they started doing this, but there's a very subtle little bit of censorship in the title cards and bumpers now. The silhouette of a naked woman that stands up and becomes the core of the apple - there's a shower curtain blur over it now. Such a weirdly small and specific thing to have to pixelate.
                        Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                        They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I sometimes find it a bit amusing when companies are advertising that they're hiring for "All Positions". I wonder if anyone has ever gone in and tried to apply for the CEO job at one of them. Hey, CEO is a position, and the sign does say they're hiring for "All Positions".

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                            I sometimes find it a bit amusing when companies are advertising that they're hiring for "All Positions". I wonder if anyone has ever gone in and tried to apply for the CEO job at one of them. Hey, CEO is a position, and the sign does say they're hiring for "All Positions".
                            No worse a shot than when "entry level" wants a degree, internship, and five years' experience.

(Also, it amuses me that our signatures coincide.)
                            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I was watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" the other day, and noticed something I've missed several times.

In the scene where the Green Knight and the Black Knight are fighting, the Green Knight's weapon changes. He starts off with a sword, then he has a mace, then he has an axe.

I've seen that movie several times, and it never hit me that this happened!

Comment

• Quoth Ceir View Post
                                No worse a shot than when "entry level" wants a degree, internship, and five years' experience.
                                The fun ones are the ones that want 5 years of experience for something that has been out for 6 months.
                                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X