This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dog!

We got another Beagle today! Her name is Squeekers. That's the name she was given by the shelter she was in but she doesn't seem to respond to it too well. They tell us when they took her to the vet, she seemed to be about four years old. Our first dog is a seven-eight year old male beagle. One of our biggest problems is going to be that he's not fixed. We got him as a stray when he was almost five. When we took him to get neutered, the places we've taken him refused to give him an operation. They all said he was too old and there were too many risks. So that's been our main problem.

She does NOT like it when he sniffs her. Not one bit. She growls at him then snaps at him. She hasn't gotten him yet, but I'm just worried about him getting bit. She pretty much ignores him except for that. She's used to being around other dogs so that's why I she isn't going crazy. He's been around other dogs but not like this. In the backyard, he had to pee where she peed. We were told she's house trained and crate trained. So as long as she doesn't pee inside, we don't have to worry about him marking his territory in the house. Also, our male dog has not done anything more than sniffing her. No humping or anything. She's spayed so we don't have to worry about puppies.

So what should we do to help them get more acquainted to each other? I don't want our male dog to get bit and us have to get him stitches or anything. Is it just going to take a few days for them to get used to each other? Cause she got along with other dogs no problem so I'm thinking it's just a result of him sniffing her. Perhaps after a day or so he'll get used to her and won't keep sniffing her?
    Attached Files
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Shes a cutie!!

We introduced another dog to our home a few weeks ago. I think it took them about 3-4 days to get used to each other. Charli (our girl who had been here for a while) kept snapping at the smaller dog , Rocky. He kept getting in her "business" and sniffing and just generally being a pain in the @$$ around her.

Basically we kept an eye on them both and made sure to give them both play time seperate, as well as together. They get along now and love to play with each other...depite a 40 lb difference. lol. Its kinda funny actually.

Comment

How odd that they wont neuter him because he is 7, I'd try asking at a different vet. Other than that I don't have any helpful advice, but I do think you new pup is adorable.

Comment

They probably will bicker and fight to establish which of them is the dominant dog. I got my second dog in March and they're still going at it. I would just keep supervising them as much as possible until you're reasonably sure they'll get along. Squeekers is probably nervous and just needs to get used to her new home. She sure is a cutie! Beagle luff!
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Awww, she is so cute. My parents have a beagle. Is she full-blooded beagle? My parents' beagle also has the freckles on her legs and snout, and she also has part Brittany in her. She looks like a beagle, in every way, except the freckles, and she has a bark, and not the normal beagle howl.
          "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Beagles are an interesting breed - great pets and can make good alarm dogs.

The peeing - he's telling everyone who sniffs there that she's his mate (yes, I know he's fixed, but still). She'll snark at him, it's expected. She's a bitch and will rule the house and he'll let her.

As for introductions, it's best to do it on neutral ground, even working things out on neutral ground is good because neither will feel they have to defend their home.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

She's the fixed one, not him. They seemed to get better as the night went on.

I'm pissed my mom wouldn't put her in the crate tonight. My mom is such a wuss when it comes to discipline.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Ah, you may want to fix him, too. Look up Spay USA for a shelter that does spay / neuter inexpensive (the program subsidizes your costs for the spay / neuter tough donations).

They'll work it out - even though she's fixed she's still the bitch and will rule the roost (eventually) unless she has an extremely submissive personality.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

We've tried a few of the local places. No one will do it since they say he is too old.

Comment

Actually, I just read it - he's 7-8, yeah, that's an old time to get a dog neutered. I wouldn't worry about it.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

They are getting along together a lot better today. She's only growled at him once.

When I woke up today, my family had moved her crate into the living room. She loves it. She's been in and out of it, going in there when she wants to nap. Much better.

She's relatively nervous around humans. Ducks her head when you go to pet her.

Comment

Was she an abused animal? Dogs will tend to duck their head when you reach over them if they have been abused by previous owners. (being hit around the head will do that to them sometimes) It sounds like she just needs to adjust to a new environment and pack. I'm sure they will work it out.

She is a cutie though

Good luck
                        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

We don't know. The rescue shelter we got her from got her as a stray. But I wouldn't be surprised if she was abused. She's pretty healthy looking though. No scars or marks. In good shape.

My mom has come up with the brilliant idea that she was taken advantage of by other dogs and that's why she's aggressive towards our male dog. I just think my mom doesn't realize that dogs will treat humans and other dogs differently. First off, humans are a lot bigger so she has more reason to be scared. Second, if it was that bad, she'd be much more nervous around our male dog instead of only barking every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                          X