This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fabric question...

So I've finally gotten my cloak from a few christmases ago resized for me, and now want to look into making it water resistant if not water proof. Not enough to endure a soaking rain but enough that it won't destroy it if it gets overly wet.

I've got scraps of fabric left over from the resizing to test various things on, but I'm not sure what all there is. Its a faux crushed velvet type fabric...

any help?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Scotchguard
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
      Its a faux crushed velvet type fabric...
      being as it's a fabric with a "nap" to it-I really don't think you'll find anything that will actually work like you want it to. As in it may stick to some areas but not to others at all....and may stick the fibers or nap together and make it look matted down.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

You might try a water resistant lining.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Whatever you do DO IT ON THE INSIDE. The only waterproofing treatment I can think of for fabric with a nap is the spray you get for hiking boots. But that's for leather, and I really doubt it will do any good on velvet.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            Scotchguard
            My first thought also, but it's really more of a 'protect the fabric from staining' solution than anything. And definitely take advantage of the spare swatches for testing; I used to have a pretty velvet cloak that I (youngly and stupidly) left in the trunk of my car... Transmission fluid spilling out of an improperly sealed bottle does ugly, ugly things.

If you're looking towards having a 'weather cloak' I'd really advise a removable lining (a couple fasteners on each piece should do it) if you insist on wearing the velvet in weather. That'll give you something weatherproof over the rest of your outfit (I'm assuming its part of some sort of garb) and leave you able to wear the lighter cloak in better weather.

I lean more towards just having a second cloak though. The whole 'protect me from weather' thing is why mine is basically canvas with a heavy flannel lining. I can stand in a downpour for a good while and still be mostly dry and toasty warm to boot.

Comment

Working...
            X