This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Kanalah View Post
    She's 88 and this is the 4th time her cancer has come back since she was diagnosed 5 years ago. She's had surgeries to remove it, radiation and chemo. She told hubs that she's "tired and doesn't want to fight anymore." Dad-in-law died 23 years ago from cancer. She's quit her part time job that she's had forever and doesn't do anything but sit in her house and watch the religion channel.

*snip*

As for hubs - when she starts in on me he just sits there and agrees with her, which pisses me off the most. He used to defend me, and now he agrees with her. She says I'm fat (My BMI says I am actually on the thin side) I'm lazy (Chasing around after the kids trying to keep her stuff from being broken) and that I'm such a bad mom that I 'caused' her namesake to get autism!

*snip*

When we are at her house and I mention that since we're in the DC area we'd like to take the kids around to some of the museums and things, MIL flips her shit. She yells that "you came up here to visit me, not that other crap!" And that if we want to go anywhere we have to rent a car or pay for a taxi - which she knows we can't afford. We also can't afford a hotel either and none of the other siblings will take us in. So we're stuck in her house with literally nothing to do. The kids either watch the religion channel with her or play with the few toys we pack. Hubs disappears all day to watch netflix on the ipad. And I'm stuck either cleaning or keeping an eye on the kids. If I even get on the computer to check me email I get yelled at.

I guess I should be grateful that it's only a week instead of 3 weeks like last time
    Crap ... I can see why you're looking forward to this like a root canal without anesthesia. Would be nice if your husband would back you up on stuff, including the outings while you're there ("Mom, we ARE visiting you ... we'll be back in two to three hours.") And not to be rude, but why are you cleaning, especially if your husband is doing nothing particularly helpful at all? Sounds to me as if you've got your hands full with the kids.

All I can offer at this point is hugs and chocolate chip cookies.
    Last edited by Pixilated; 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Quoth Gizmo View Post
      Hugs Mytical and Kanalah. Mytical, sending you my nice dragon to look after you for a while.
      I'm sorry to hear things are crappy, Mytical. I can send the spirit of our former wolf/German shepherd cross to say hello to you.

Comment

• And yet another "once you feel up, you get knocked down a notch moment":

Just as we thought we could afford to replace our hand-me-down tube telly with a reasonably priced flatscreen AND actually be able to do some fun activities this summer... we have some water damage that requires us to replace our shower cabinet at once. Yippie-kay-friggin-yay.
        Last edited by NorthernZel; 06-08-2013, 12:47 AM.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• My sympathies, NorthernZel. It does seem like just when you're getting ahead, you get hit on the head, doesn't it? I was thinking things were just looking up a little when my car was hit (not my fault but I may still be on the hook for the $500 deductible). Hope things start looking up for you soon!

Comment

• Whelp, good news and bad news.

Good news is: hubs was planning on renting a car while we where there. He said it would cost to much, but we would need it if we wanted to go anywhere.

And then yesterday he called MIL to see how she is doing. She said she is still in the hospital, and that we were welcome to stay in her house/use her car while we are there. So now hubs will not be renting a car. Talking to the sibs-in-law we found out that she did decide and pay for an assisted living condo and will be moving in while we are there. So now we are on the hook to help her clean out her house and move. Looks like no museums for us.

And finally the one thing that has me stressed: Mom lets us use her washer/dryer as long as we follow her rules with them (basically after we use the washer we have to run it empty with hot water and bleach) Well hubs doesn't want to pay the airline $25 for each checked bag, so he wants me to pack 4 small carry-ons. Which means I will be doing laundry at mom's house - no big deal. Hubs forgets that because daughter still wets the bed every night, I do laundry daily. He told me there's "no way" mom will let me use her machines every day, so I will need to either find a laundromat to visit daily or handwash and dry jammies and blankets. We are bringing a plastic sheet to protect mom's mattress but I think it's nuts that I have mom's permission to use her machines and now hubs says I can't. At least I know how to handwash clothes - just not looking forward to it.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

• Welp, not to be rude (again), but IMNSHO, unless hubs is going to deal with daughter's sheets, and since HE has arbitrarily decided how much all of you can bring in terms of luggage, and since MIL has said you can use her laundry facilities ... hubs gets no say in where you do the laundry.

Also, since you guys will have the use of a car, why is it not possible to take a break from cleaning/packing/moving and go to one or two of those museums?

Hang onto the thought that at least your MIL is accepting of assisted living accommodations. My mother wasn't ... and went straight from hospital to nursing home. Would it have been different if she'd been willing to go to assisted living? We'll never know.

Comment

• Hubs was thinking that we would just use mom's car while she was still in the hospital. I reminded him what happened last time, namely "My car only goes to grocery store one block away and back, nothing else!" And he agreed to rent a car for us. (Plus he wants to go to awesome local train shop)

We also found out that even if she does want to move into this assisted living place - it'll still be a few weeks until she can move in. Basically you pick a layout that you like, and then sit on a waiting list. She's already been at the top of the list a couple of times and has now decided that she wants to move in. She still has to do some kind of interview and get her things all packed up.

She does stuff like this every time we say we're going to visit. As the date of our visit gets closer, she'll tell us all the stuff she needs done since we're coming to help her out. So then, we cancel all our other plans to help her out and it turns out to be something quick and then when we try to do something, she flips her shit.

Last time we visited - she had to have clothes altered (10 minutes, tops) she needed to call someone about window treatments for her new addition she put onto the house (maybe a day for her to talk to the install guy who came over) and then we decided to meet a friend for lunch and she decided that sis was taking her to the mall and we need to stay home. *grr*

But anyway - right now I am doing my best to make sure daughter does not have another epic airplane meltdown. Last time we tried to fly with her (she's autistic) it was a 4 hour screaming, hitting, kicking, spitting fun fest. I knew 2 planefulls of people wanted us dead.

Comment

• My mom quit with the cancer treatments and hospice moved her home last night. No more dialysis or iv food or anything, she decided. They said maybe 7-14 days, but that was 3 days ago already. She seemed alert and stable last nnight. Today, not so much. The whole day has been fixing pillows, and giving morphine in the 20m segments she's awake between naps. And I'm scared about what if she dies while it's just me home with her. It must sound just horrible, and I'm sure I'm feel different later, but I'm so not okay with having to do this stuff.

Comment

• Maria, that is a tough situation for you to be in (I'm assuming you're not a nurse ... and even if you were, it's drastically different when you're dealing with a family member). It doesn't sound horrible. You are doing a wonderful thing for your mom.

Comment

• Hugs to you, maria. ;(
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• After half a decade, it's over. Mom passed away this afternoon, while Dad was out taking a short drive. I feel like I should react, whine, or ... but I got nothing. If you're into praying, or whatever, feel free to pray for my dad. He's really not ok. My parents are only in their 50s, not really the age you start being ready for this. At least, they hadn't gotten to that part of life mentally, yet, anyway. (Sorry if this makes no sense. Posting from phone, dad turned of the net when mom quit using it. And I'm not in my right mind anyway.)

Comment

• Hugs and my condolences to you and your Dad, Maria.

Comment

• *massive hugs* So sorry for your loss
                            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

• Quoth Kanalah View Post
                              *snip*

But anyway - right now I am doing my best to make sure daughter does not have another epic airplane meltdown. Last time we tried to fly with her (she's autistic) it was a 4 hour screaming, hitting, kicking, spitting fun fest. I knew 2 planefulls of people wanted us dead.
                              I'm not a fan of drugging children, but this can't be good for her, either. Would her pediatrician prescribe a light sedative or something for the plane trips?

Comment

• Well, I give up.

Apparently life is just me working my ass off for people that don't notice or even care, but raise hell when I get anything nice.

I wish I'd realized this sooner, saved everyone a bunch of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X