X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Day...

HELP ME PLEASEEE!!

I have to do a career day on Thursday that I just got the information for today!

I need ideas.

How would you keep a group of 5th graders entertained for 15 mins at a time?! They will be in rotating groups. IDK WTF to do! LOL.

Im going to focus on handwashing with cold and flu season, but im trying to figure how to describe my job to them without grossing them out.

Also, anyone have a mini game idea?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Oh no no no-- gross them out!
    Do it right tho. Make it slightly funny, if you can. Tell them why your job is around, how it works, and what it involves. Give them some solid idea of the medical consequences of stuff-- like with pictures or stories you have personally-- like that dude who came in who had to get stitches in his butt because he jumped off a house (or something).
    ... best of luck, dude.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
      How would you keep a group of 5th graders entertained for 15 mins at a time?!
      IDK Knockers, how do you entertain a bunch of prepubescent boys?

Im going to focus on handwashing with cold and flu season, but im trying to figure how to describe my job to them without grossing them out.
      Gross them out! Talk about all the weird things that happen that are completely uncommon but make your job sound cool.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I agree. Gross them out. Preteens LOVE that stuff.

But also tell them the kind of stories that prevent them from doing stupid stuff.
        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
          But also tell them the kind of stories that prevent them from doing stupid stuff.
          whole lotta optimism in that statement.

you: <dangerous thing> is stupid
          them: now I have to do it!!!!!!!!
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            whole lotta optimism in that statement.

you: <dangerous thing> is stupid
            them: now I have to do it!!!!!!!!
            This why you say "here's why <dangerous thing> is stupid". You'll convince some of them. It's like law enforcement - if you make it so that everyone gets caught, no matter what, the crime rate drops. Convince them that this stuff will happen to them, don't convince them that the stuff that might happen is really bad.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
              IDK Knockers, how do you entertain a bunch of prepubescent boys?
              I dont think the Principal will enjoy me running through the gym with a wet white tshirt on.

Thanks for the ideas guys! Im going to throw together a trifold presentation board tomorrow and hope for the best as far as the presentation goes. I figure theyll have lots of questions thatll take up a portion of the time. Im still trying to figure on how much to gross them out..i dont want any kids passing out or throwing up on me.

Comment

No, but we would.

That sounds good...grossing out sounds good...
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Gross stuff sounds like stuff 5th graders would like.

My mom is a respiratory therapist and she did career day a few times. She brought a mannequin head and torso and showed people what happened when she inserted an ET tube. Anything interactive or that you can demonstrate would probably be good.

Comment

Ok, so my boss and the other girl who organized this are idjits. No one can answer me about anything so they can suck it hard core.

Good thing I just took some disposable stethoscopes and masks this AM before I left work, b/c its now almost 330p and they havent answered me about what i can take with me. Ugh.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I have a rough idea of what we'll do. I gotta throw together a trifold board with some pics and short sayings later tonight.

Comment

If you're going to go on about germs and washing your hands, how about bringing one of those little display ultraviolet light things? I don't know if they'd allow you to bring it, but it's worth a try? That'd be a cool example. It's not very practical in real life though.
                      My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
                        If you're going to go on about germs and washing your hands, how about bringing one of those little display ultraviolet light things? I don't know if they'd allow you to bring it, but it's worth a try? That'd be a cool example. It's not very practical in real life though.
                        It would be AWESOME! But this was such short notice that I couldnt get my hands on one.. Poo.

Comment

Diz-amm!

I am tired. I made two boards for the kids. One about nurses and one about handwashing. Planned out what im going to say and found my old nursing school bag filled with random medical tools. I think Ill keep the kids occupied for their 15 mins.

Also, theres candy. Lol. Im sure thats the only part theyll remember.

Comment

Working...
                          X