This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Handel, how I hate you right now

Pardon me while I whine a bit. As is tradition, my choir is performing the Hallelujah Chorus for several Christmas functions. We got the music today. Good gravy it looks like it was written by a rabid squirrel on speed. Either that or Handel just started splattering ink randomly on the page. Or some combination of both. I consider myself pretty competent when it comes to reading and counting music. On the first run-through, I got lost about halfway through the first page. While making a conscious effort to count this monster.

We've got a couple months to work on it, so I'm not particularly worried. But my head hurts now. Seriously. Have you ever seen the score for Hallelujah Chorus? If it's bad for SATB, I can only imagine the orchestral score.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

O.o I just looked at it and wow. You weren't kidding about the 'rabid squirrel on speed', were ya? I thought I'd seen some scary notes in Sweet Adelines. That one, though, is just evil. o.o
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

It is rather exact, isn't it?
      ... I can only pray that your groups are dedicated and want to make pretty sounds... 'cuz it can get real ugly, real quick.
      :shudder:
      I've heard this when it's anything but excellent. Or even very good!
      Best of luck.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Sounds like someone

can't

Handel it

Last edited by Lachrymose; 10-11-2010, 02:56 AM.

Comment

*urk*

Thanks for the ab-workout (belly laugh)
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
            Sounds like someone

can't

Handel it
            very nice
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
              Sounds like someone
              can't
              Handel it
              Hallelujah!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

oh, memories. We performed that once in high school, at the regional meet. That and Mozarts Requiem. Just...*shudders* Memories. jedi, what are you? I could go as low as alto 1 and up to soprano 1 (you know, if I wanted to rupture something).

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                  Mozarts Requiem. .
                  That's kind of sort of how I got my username.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                    oh, memories. We performed that once in high school, <snip> Just...*shudders* Memories.
                    try singing it(along with some other doozys-ave maria, Gloria in excelsis), "scattered" as in the choir director wanted a "fuller, more balanced sound" so no section separation just everyone standing randomly-I'm a first soprano and was surrounded by tenors and altos.....

He did that with several songs-toward the end of the concerts he would give the sign to scatter and we'd shift on the risers
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      try singing it(along with some other doozys-ave maria, Gloria in excelsis), "scattered" as in the choir director wanted a "fuller, more balanced sound" so no section separation just everyone standing randomly-I'm a first soprano and was surrounded by tenors and altos.....

He did that with several songs-toward the end of the concerts he would give the sign to scatter and we'd shift on the risers
                      Which looks and sounds epic--- but unless you are damn good and have the balls to go with it, it sounds like mush.
                      I had neither in ninth grade, when we had to do that for a stage production mimicking late-night television.
                      Yeah don't ask. I didn't!

Comment

try singing it(along with some other doozys-ave maria, Gloria in excelsis), "
                        when my neice, who has extensive operatic training, sings Ave Maria it still brings tears to my eye. it does not help though that most of the time she is asked to sing it at family funerals. even under normal situations it still almost brings me to tears.

in chior we did that back in grade school. ahhhh yes to be young and have a high voice BEFORE puberty. Handel yes I will agree it is a bear to do right
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I'm 24 years old, and I graduated high school in 2005. My high school choir that i was a member of had been established in the 1920's or so. It's an A Capella Choir, so most of the stuff is done A Capella.

We ALWAYS do the Hallelujah Chorus at our Christmas concert, as is tradition since the 1920's. And truthfully when I first learned it, it was a little hard, but let me tell you. It's REALLY easy once you go through it.

I suggest just learning your part, don't worry what other ppl do. Count out the stanzas and measures. Learn it by heart. Once you get in your group, it's going to really help you.

I promise you, it is NOT that hard.

I was an Alto 2, so we didn't get an easy part. If i can do it, anyone can!
                          I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

I'm alto, and I've done it.

As surreal said, focus on your part, counting out your rests and timing. Do interval practice at home.

The combination of parts is what's scariest, I found. Focussing on just your part makes it more bearable. Once you and your choir start to get it right, it sounds amazing.

For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth....
                            .... crochets onto the page.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Actually, we did do something like that my senior year. He'd only put 2 people with the same section together, though, so at least if you dropped the ball, in theory, the person next to you had the same part and you could come in on the next measure with him/her. Other than that, you were surrounded by a bunch of people singing different parts. It DID sound awesome, and it helped for those who sang different parts on different songs, (i.e. I sang soprano 2 on 3 songs, alto 1 on a different one, etc, etc.). But the rehearsals were epic in their own right. Not particularly in a good way...

Comment

Working...
                              X