X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know it is bad when...

your dentist pulls your tooth and immediately says, "Oh shit..."

A couple of years ago I had to have my third molar on my bottom left side extracted after an abscess. The dentist said I would eventually need my second molar pulled due to a crack below the gum line, but it could wait since I couldn't afford to have it done right away.

My teeth started hurting again a few months ago. It would be PAIN for a day and then be like nothing was wrong. Two weeks ago the pain was so unbearable I was ready to pull the tooth myself with a pair of pliers. I don't have insurance, no credit, and very limited funds (just what I get from mystery shopping, my sitting services- house, pet, and baby, and from selling crafts).

I tried looking for a free clinic but the one in my county was closed last year due to lack of funds. I tried the one in the next county over, but they only treat residents of that county. I called around the local dentists, but the cheapest office visit for people without insurance was $150 and to pull a tooth was almost $400. I tried asking a family member if I could borrow the money but I got lectured instead about how I should have saved up money.

I had gone into the county health department to see if I could be seen by a doctor back when I hurt my back really bad but they said they only saw children. I was told the only way I could qualify for medicaid or other similar insurance was if I was knocked up. I didn't know what else to do.

Mom got fed up with me whining about being in pain and called the health department's dental clinic and they agreed to see me after Mom told them how bad it was. I went last week and they gave me perscriptions for amoxicillin and lorcet.

I went back earlier today to have my second molar (#19), removed. When she took it out, the dentist dropped the tooth and I almost accidently swallowed it. That wasn't what the exclamation was for. Apparently, not only was the filling in the first molar cracked (and had come out when she pulled #19), but the infection had begun to eat at the bone in my jaw. Super fun times. She sewed up my mouth after filling the hole with something... dunno what, I kept my eyes shut most of the time I was in there. She gave me a refill on my scripts and told me to come back tomorrow to fix the filling on my first molar.

The total cost for the first visit, extraction, and both sets of meds was $168. Mom helped out some and said that was going to be my Christmas president. I don't know what they are going to charge me tomorrow. I'm just glad to have that sucker out.

yes that is bad BUT the dentist made time to see you the next day.
    If you talk to the dentist or receptionist they may let you work out a payment plan or something since the first visit was paid for fully. You just have to ask in advance or something.
    The infection sounds bad but at least it was caught now. I think -someone correct me if I'm wrong - the dentist sewed in something to help get rid of the infection but again at least she is making time to see you the very next day.

Much comforts and good vibes your way.

Comment

I think the thing that got sewn in is the dental equivalent of a dissolving antibiotic tab. I have had a cat get treated for fight wounds and the vet sewed it shut with this little blob of preformed gel that was designed to dissolve over a short period of time and push some antibiotic directly in the wound site.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Yipes! Glad you found medical help for relatively cheap from what you listed for prices... mushy jaws aren't any good...

EDIT: AriGriffin... I'm not sure your mom understands Christmas... but ... eh. At least she helped out.
        EDIT: Feel better soon...
        Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 12-02-2010, 01:32 AM.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I have to go back on Monday morning to get the filling fixed. I couldn't open my mouth wide enough for the dentist to work on it due to the swelling.

Comment

The dentist removed the stitches yesterday but said she couldn't repair the filling due to swelling. I have to go back on the 14th for a check-up and then schedule another appointment for getting the filling fixed.

Comment

gah. hugs hope it goes well and sorry you have to keep going through this. may it be all done and finished on the 14th!

Comment

Working...
              X