This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiing? Uhoh.

So, the boyfriend invited me up to Vermont with a group of his friends to go skiing in January. It actually falls over my birthday, so that's cool.

Anyway, I've never skiied before and am known for injuring myself in the stupidest ways possible (fractured ankle stepping off the curb, bashed head open on bedside table, dislocated knee in a fall, etc). I'm a little terrified that I'm going to break everything because, well... track record. I should probably go buy gloves. And a hat. Not freezing is good, right? Most of my winter clothes are in storage somewhere.

Anybody here actually ski? Any advice?

I told my dad I was going and he sighed and said he'd set aside money for an ER trip.

Don't be afraid to spend as much time on the bunny hill as you need. Your friends might try to talk you into joining them, but if you don't feel like you have your balance yet, don't go. The point of skiing is to have fun, and if you're terrified that you're going to fall, or crash into a tree, you won't have fun.

Make sure you wear a helmet.

Learn how to use the chairlift at some point over the trip.

Always wear warm gloves. Even if it's warm outside, you *always* want to be wearing gloves. And not those knit sort, either, but real gloves with a waterproof shell.

Don't wear jeans. Wear long underwear under snow pants.

Buy one of those fleece turtleneck things. They'll be your best friend.

Wear light layers. Long underwear, light sweater, jacket. The bulkier you are, the worse you'll sweat, and the more uncomfortable you'll be.

If you can, set the poles aside for the first few hours. They're of no help to you in the beginning, and are just another thing to keep track of. When I'm teaching newbies, I never let them use poles.

Remember two things: Keep your upper body facing forward (you always want the headlights pointed downhill), and lean forward into the boots. It seems a bit counter-intuitive to lean forward, but you actually get better balance and control that way. If you don't come out of your first day with bruises on your shins, you haven't been leaning forward enough.

Mostly, have fun. Enjoy yourself. And be prepared to laugh, cause frankly, you're gonna fall a lot. At the speeds you're going, though, you likely won't break anything. You'll bruise a lot, but generally the bad injuries come from high speed.

No need to be scared. Think of it this way - if I could ski at 3 years old, you can ski as an adult!

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
      Don't be afraid to spend as much time on the bunny hill as you need. Your friends might try to talk you into joining them, but if you don't feel like you have your balance yet, don't go.
      I'm lucky, boyfriend hasn't skied in years and I think there's two other people who have never done it before so hopefully there will be a group of us hanging out on the bunny hill.

Good point about the gloves, I hadn't thought about waterproofing. I have some nice layer-able North Face fleeces that should work well. I don't own pants other than leggings so um - gotta fix that anyway.

What would you suggest carrying with you (in pockets etc) while you're on the hills? Cell phone, hand warmers....?

Comment

An addition to KiaKat's post:

Learn to snowplow. Basically, it involves turning your skis so they point toward each other in a V, with the front end being the bottom. It is the best way to control your speed while going downhill and keeping yourself under control is key to having fun on the hill.

As well, get a good teacher. My first time on the hill I had a mean bastard who flunked me out of his course because what he wanted was physically impossible (sharp 180 degree snowplow turns around two poles spaced 3 feet apart). The next instructor I had basically asked why I was in the beginner course after I aced all the preliminary stuff and bumped me up to the intermediate levels.

Quoth Taboo View Post
        What would you suggest carrying with you (in pockets etc) while you're on the hills? Cell phone, hand warmers....?
        your pockets should be as empty as possible. if you have good gloves, then you shouldn't need hand warmers and cold fingers are a good sign to retreat to the chalet for a breather. Cell phone is a specific no-no unless you need to be contacted for emergency purposes or on-call. Remember, you're going to fall a lot and the snow isn't nearly a soft as you think...
        Last edited by lordlundar; 12-07-2010, 02:36 PM.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yeah, unless you're at the point where you're not falling, don't bring the phone. Set up meeting times and places with your group if you separate.

Wear a watch. One that's comfortable; you don't want it digging into your wrist every time you shift your arm.

In an inside jacket pocket, put your ID, a credit card, and some cash - no more than about $20. Most places at the mountain will take cards. Don't put them in a wallet, just wrap a rubber band around them to keep them from shifting too much in the pocket.

Take at least one lesson from the school. They're there to help, and they're damned good at it. Sometimes I wish I'd continued with my certifications, being a ski teacher is a lot of fun.

Oh, that's a good question - what mountain are you going to? I can give you some specific advice if I know.

Comment

I have no real advice except for what to wear. Go to a sporting goods shop and invest in socks. Trust me after so many years working outside having a ton of snowboarding or ski socks was the best thing EVER, they tend to be knee high, slightly padded and toasty warm. Just make sure to get a couple pairs and make sure to change your socks if you get them wet!
            Also glove liners are pretty great too.

Just a warning, the socks can be expensive. Which is why I check the bargain bin before heading over to the sock rack. I don't mind paying a lot for them though, like I said they are so worth it and keeping your feet warm is a must.
            I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
              Oh, that's a good question - what mountain are you going to? I can give you some specific advice if I know.
              http://www.bromley.com/

I don't think I'm taking the classes. I'll be spending a week with my uncle and his family right before I go, and they fly different places to ski several times a year, so if we have snow by then I'll have them walk me through some basics.

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
              Just make sure to get a couple pairs and make sure to change your socks if you get them wet!
              Also glove liners are pretty great too.

Just a warning, the socks can be expensive. Which is why I check the bargain bin before heading over to the sock rack. I don't mind paying a lot for them though, like I said they are so worth it and keeping your feet warm is a must.
              I'm actually kind of a sock collector. I have a million pairs of kneesocks including some with flying monkeys on them... so I definitely don't mind adding more socks, haha.
              Last edited by Taboo; 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

If you're looking for good cold-weather base layers, hit up LL Bean. *great* products for not-too-much money.

I'll second the socks comment. Look around online and see if you can find some bargains. If you can, buy everything before you go, and have at least three sets of clothing (usually you can do a quick load of laundry at the hotel).

So, your necessary equipment:

1. Socks made from synthetic material, height at least mid-shin if not knee.
                2. Base layers made from either silk, polypropolyne, or another synthetic.
                3. Two mid-layers made from either wool or fleece (this way if one gets wet you can swap it for the second).
                4. A water- and wind-proof shell.
                5. Waterproof mittens or gloves.
                6. Two fleece gaitors (turtleneck) or scarves (same reason you have two mid-layers).
                7. A helmet (can be rented with the skis).

It's worth it to keep those disposable handwarmers in a pocket. Usually you can grab them at sporting goods stores, and they work really well as the temp starts dropping in the evening.

Sun Mountain is a good place. Lots of variety, and decent prices. If you can spare the money, take a 1 hour private class, just so you can have a professional evaluate your form and help you. I *still* take classes on occasion, and I'm a former ski racer and instructor.

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
                  I'm actually kind of a sock collector. I have a million pairs of kneesocks including some with flying monkeys on them... so I definitely don't mind adding more socks, haha.
                  Me too, I have knee high stripped ones in various crazy colors.
                  You will find some cute colors with the snowboarding socks, They last a good long time which is why I don't mind paying a lot for socks.
                  I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                    Sun Mountain is a good place. Lots of variety, and decent prices. If you can spare the money, take a 1 hour private class, just so you can have a professional evaluate your form and help you. I *still* take classes on occasion, and I'm a former ski racer and instructor.
                    I would love to but the total expense for the trip is probably the most I can do. I'll make do, though. Thanks for that list, I actually have some of it already (bunch of North Face gear from when I used to hike more) so it's mainly the socks/gloves/new shell (mine's too small).

I'm kinda hoping for after-Christmas sales but I'll check what's on sale now, and see what I can pick up.

Comment

Check out L.L. Bean and Land's End. Sometimes they have good sales this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                      X